U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times

Advertisements

In my younger years I slept like a baby. Now that I'm older forgeddabout it.
I notice a lot of posters here seem to be up all night posting.
I have tried counting fingers and toes, then sheep jumping
over a fence.
Then I read mentally relax every muscle in your body.
Anything work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM

19,822 posts, read 19,916,125 times
You may see some 'middle-of-the-night posts from me but that's just a matter of perspective.
For me it's just early morning!
Unfortunately, getting up at 3/4 means never seeing the 11 o'clock news anymore
Unless we're out or have company, the eyes start drooping around 9

Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
over a fence.
Anything work for you?
Not insomnia for me it just depends on the schedule and day time naps etc. One of the things about retirement is that it enables you to construct the 24 hours in a day the way you want. Expect more late night posts from me beginning next week especially East Coast time. The reason is that I am a die hard as in die hard LA Dodger fan and since their west coast games start at 10:05 and end around 1:00 for a three hour game expect me up to then. Depending on the nature of the game there is post game forum time with the guys on the West Coast and that can take me to 2:00 or later. Depending on the game I will need time for highlight reviews over and over especially if it is a walk off win. Since I could be back up at five or six the next morning I might appear again then. If we are at the beach count on a post beach nap from not having slept the night before and being out in the sun. In other words 24 hours is just that time to be constructed differently each day. What is great is the opportunity to combine 24 hour day blocks with the next day etc etc. In summary what do I do in retirement? As many of us have said: " Whatever we want when we want".

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
I see weird posting times all over City-Data forum. That includes during the evenings or daytimes, when there's an active "conversation" going on. I don't know what it is with the posting times ...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,352,909 times
Time zones. I think you see timestamps based on your local time zone. So, someone posting at 1:00 am, could be posting at 10:00 pm their time.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,183,954 times
Being awake and sentient and having no medical issues on this beautiful spinning blue globe is a blessing no matter what the hour is....We all have Eternity to "catch up" on our sleep..

Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Time zones. I think you see timestamps based on your local time zone. So, someone posting at 1:00 am, could be posting at 10:00 pm their time.
I wondered about the time zone issue.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not insomnia for me it just depends on the schedule and day time naps etc. One of the things about retirement is that it enables you to construct the 24 hours in a day the way you want. Expect more late night posts from me beginning next week especially East Coast time. The reason is that I am a die hard as in die hard LA Dodger fan and since their west coast games start at 10:05 and end around 1:00 for a three hour game expect me up to then. Depending on the nature of the game there is post game forum time with the guys on the West Coast and that can take me to 2:00 or later. Depending on the game I will need time for highlight reviews over and over especially if it is a walk off win. Since I could be back up at five or six the next morning I might appear again then. If we are at the beach count on a post beach nap from not having slept the night before and being out in the sun. In other words 24 hours is just that time to be constructed differently each day. What is great is the opportunity to combine 24 hour day blocks with the next day etc etc. In summary what do I do in retirement? As many of us have said: " Whatever we want when we want".
Glad it's not insomnia. Good to see you are doing what you want when you want!
Haven't been able to do that yet.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,263,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
over a fence.
Anything work for you?
When I travel away from home, I continue to read the forum and post. I was in Brazil recently ... the time zone for which is 4 hours ahead of my regular zone in Chicago. I've also posted while traveling in Turkey. So, what time people post and what shows up in their comments will sometimes depend on where they are at the moment. But, yes, I do know people who are early-risers, or who go to bed late ... and who post to this and other forums.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
I am one of the insomniacs. Usually I watch a movie or read (iPad - built in light!) but sometimes I post on C-D, mess with Pinterest or play a computer game. Sometimes, I do the laundry.

I have a friend on C-D who is also up at 3 am at times, lol. One evening, we realized we both were posting so she gave me a call. Nothing like a long talk with a dear friend in the middle of the night!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement