Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is what you need then..can come to a complete stop and still not fall down
You even have a nice basket in the back for a cooler full of ????

"for a cooler full of ????"

YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
What will I do all day?

why, count all my money, over and over....that should fill a day easy

Ok, here's some things:

finally get all those tests the doc wants me to have, by then Medicare should pay!

Get my teeth fixed

Plant a garden

get a dog

write my book

learn to cook without a microwave

finally learn to sew with it not being graded for a school project

explore my roots---go visit places my ancestors lived---I'm part Cherokee, and also related to Mary Queen of Scots --so I have a lot to explore!

Go to church more regularly

sell all my collectibles on Ebay and take a nice trip, otherwise the kids will get it and do likewise!

Become a Grandmother?

Get one of those Endless Pools so I can swim in my own backyard and not worry who peed in the water

Become owned by more cats!

Dream up more lists

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
There is always something to do. Sometimes more than one may want.

Today

I painted some door hardware. We are trying to find a painted color that looks better than bright brass and have been testing various brass tones.

I planted two arborvitae to replace two we lost in the drought last year.

I finished painting a copper cap for the deck. It was a test for color. The copper had aged poorly. I found a hammered brass by Krylon that looks great and covered it with a satin clear coat. Now I have to do the rest.

Planned out what trellis we need as a screen and holder for some Clematis. Mrs. Tek helped and had me change what I was thinking. I like what she came up with.

Yesterday

Menards for paint, paint masks, sandpaper, and three round wooden fence posts. These will be used to move a storage shed. I moved it a couple of years ago when the house was painted and haven't moved it back yet. That time I moved it by sliding it along 2 x 10 lumber, but that won't happen again. Rollers are much better!

Lowes to check evergreens. Too small.

Walmart for more of the hammered copper paint. None to be had, but I can order it online.

A local nursery for the two evergreens.

And home. I left the posts and evergreens in the truck overnight. Got them out this morning.

Tomorrow

Some house cleaning, some shopping, some yard work. Mrs. Tek noticed a fucet is leaking. Drip, drip, drip.

It never ends...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
My role model is my ferret, who sleeps 16-20 hours a day!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times
I've been retired 10 months now. No plan. Just kinda hangin' out. Paying a little closer notice of my finances to make sure I calculated correctly that we would not be short of money from month to month. That is not as easy as I imagined since the expenses don't come in month to month. Sometimes it is once a year, same with some of my income. Anyway, just recently I began to feel more comfortable that it was going to work out. I kind of daydream about getting some type of job or even volunteering somewhere, but, I kind of visualize what that would be like and change my mind. I am content with what I am not doing right now.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am content with what I am not doing right now.
And that's really the bottom line, isn't it? In the future, if you ever feel that just "hanging out" isn't enough any more, then you can make some changes at that point. But for now everything is good for you. Almost everyone likes to decompress right after retirement, whehter that period lasts for two weeks or two years. There is no hurry to jump into a whirlwind of activities.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
We are in our 3rd year of a slightly early retirement (due to economy). We had plans. LOL Now we have settled into a really nice life that is nothing like we actually planned, but wonderful anyway.
We've learned how to sleep in when the weather is cold. How to take an entire day running errands in town. And there are always projects to do inside, when the weather is not so pleasant outside.
But.....as soon as the weather gets nice, the maps come out and we start planning camping trips and other outings. We've already made one trip this spring to a Tulip Festival...LOL...made a 3 day trip out of it and it's only about a three hour drive!
Also, the veggie garden is going in. The John Deere tractor/mower comes out and the chores and projects get tackled. My husband loves spending hours working outside.
We've both learned a lot in the last two years. Like...how to install a wood stove, put new floors down, install kitchen cabinets....etc. Having fun, saving money and doing it ourselves!
Best of all, we've found out that we still "like" each other. That was probably our biggest adjustment. Being together most of the time.
Enjoy retirement or find something to do that will make it enjoyable!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I took up several hobbies b4 to get me thru the change
Retirement is great
Last 5 made up for the first 59

Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We are in our 3rd year of a slightly early retirement (due to economy). We had plans. LOL Now we have settled into a really nice life that is nothing like we actually planned, but wonderful anyway. ...our biggest adjustment. Being together most of the time.
Enjoy retirement or find something to do that will make it enjoyable!

Great post from the 'reality' point of view.

Did you, or do you intend to relocate?

Bring that new camping trailer to the Columbia Gorge for Fall (Colors and Wine / Fruit harvest Season) many nice campgrounds and hiking / picture opportunities.

I get south to Roseburg to help out the elderly inlaws with their 7 acres of fruit and ornimentals (~age 92),
I'm glad they can still stay in their home, but it is a good reminder of how I need to hang up a few aspirations pre- 'too old'. Lose of sight and inability to drive is gonna make it hard for them to commute 10 miles to town for Dr appts. They moved 20 hrs closer to be near family, but 4 hrs away is not near enough for frequent care needs. I'm trying to get them to find an apartment while they are still young and healthy, and can learn their way around before going blind. (~ 2more yrs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement