Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

My public (PBS) television station has an annual on-air auction of fine art and other stuff. Call yours and offer the keys with a list of what's stored. Yes, you could take the time to sell it, but what a pain. If you can put a dollar value on it, you can get a tax deduction for that amount if you get the nonprofit organization you're donating to to write a letter stating the $ value. Public television is a 501-C3 not-for-profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Keeps me awake at night. Wish I had never never owned all this cool stuff. I just don't know what to do with it all.
If you want to be rid of it quickly, there ARE ways to do that (rather than piecemeal). The farm property can be sold as-is with all contents intact. OR, there are companies that will hold an estate sale on your behalf. They take their cut, of course, but they do all the work. Same for the storage items -- hire someone to auction the entire contents of the units (kind of like those shows do). Have them take pics of everything and send you the CD - you can keep the memories via photos. Yes, you will get less $$ by doing it this way, but you will have your freedom from stuff sooner.

I don't know if it's true, but I once heard that people who suddenly lose all of their belongings to a fire or other disaster will at first feel quite sad, but that is followed by a sense of relief. They feel unburdened without a lifetime of "stuff" weighing them down.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Check out Freecycle.

I've never used them, but I understand you list what you have, and what you want, its a free exchange.
Freecycle is great. I've used them often to get rid of stuff here locally. I've gotten rid of stuff as small as wire cost hangers to as large as a hot tub that needed work on the motor.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I don't think the responders realize that the OP has a sentimental, emotional attachment to his items. Grandmother's stuff brings back thoughts of her and items bought when living in Russia have recollections of the time spent there. Also, it sounds like many items may have real intrinsic value. It's like giving away a part of your life to divest yourself of emotionally charged items. Selling those things or giving them away is a lot harder than just getting rid of an old chair, etc. to which you have no emotional connection.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Pick out a few keepsakes, call in the auction house for the rest.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I don't think the responders realize that the OP has a sentimental, emotional attachment to his items. Grandmother's stuff brings back thoughts of her and items bought when living in Russia have recollections of the time spent there. Also, it sounds like many items may have real intrinsic value. It's like giving away a part of your life to divest yourself of emotionally charged items. Selling those things or giving them away is a lot harder than just getting rid of an old chair, etc. to which you have no emotional connection.
no, it won't be easy but if the OP hasn't seen/used the stuff in ages and worrying about it is keeping him awake, it's time to let it go.

Pick one spot (CA, or the farmhouse or your own garage), keep a few things. Ask relatives if they'd like anything. It might make it easier to give it to people or charities than to sell it. At this point, I think it's the memories you're attached to, not the stuff.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
..I have the last of my grandmother's stuff (born 1894) which has been in storage there since 1985. In Spokane WA I have a 4 bedroom farmload of stuff in storage which has been there since 2003. ...I have stuff galore.

I can relate, EXCEPT my Stuff includes the farm!!! (actually 4 rural places at the moment)

I have stuff from pioneer homestead of great grandparents as well as all the furniture I and my predecessors have built and wood, mechanic, welding, and machine shops of dad and granddad. Plus many tractors, dozers, trucks, well pumps, irrigation Equip....

I will probably have a BIG sale, or donate to a church or children's camp. (Used Stuff is not selling at very high $$ at the moment). eBay could move the smaller stuff (that can be shipped) But I have thousands of items. Nice thing about wood furniture is that if you get cold, you can burn it. (I have many pieces built by family in the 1800's)

I am also outfitting a few 'rural' apartments around the country so I will feel at home wherever I am. They each get a few treasures.

I need a LOT more than a moving van... maybe a freight train. (I need something big enough to move semi trucks and bulldozers and milling machines...). Maybe... If I'm REAL lucky... I will just 'keel-over' thinking about MOVING

The 'downturn' is a bonanza for those looking for good deals on STUFF. Prices are a fraction of what they were.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
A good auctioneer would love the chance to get their hands on the stuff. I have seen huge multi sale or multi day sales of one person's things.

Find Live & Online Auctions for Antiques, Art, Cars & More at AuctionZip.com gives national access to auctions.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
A good auctioneer would love the chance to get their hands on the stuff. I have seen huge multi sale or multi day sales of one person's things.

Find Live & Online Auctions for Antiques, Art, Cars & More at AuctionZip.com gives national access to auctions.
After downsizing I realized how much of our stuff wasn't that important to me. I could have
eliminated more. IMO I would choose a few items that were important to me and the
suggestion of an auction is a great idea. Note: if you do an auction and have lots of stuff
go through it if you think there's something important or of value because if there is too
much "stuff" they often just auction a box of things instead of every single item.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Welcome to the Downsizing club! I am on a schedule to be otta here in about the same amount of time. I try and get rid of something every day and have bags going to Goodwill weekly and run about 8-10 items for sale on Craigslist daily. Yesterday was a bad day. I did not get rid of a thing. I have been donating things, too. Perhaps there is a Russian store, restaurant, library, club, church that would like to buy or have some of the items.

I have resolved to only by clothing if needed and consumables from here on.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement