Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times

Advertisements

This ad hits close to home for me, we have an adult daughter with Down Syndrome who lives with us in retirement:

Special Needs Retirement Planning - SunTrust - YouTube

Actually, we have retirement for three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
I know it must be a great concern of parents of adult children who will not be able to fully care for themselves when their parents are gone to provide for those children via trusts and estate planning and/or other arrangements. My heart goes out to you and all such parents. I can offer no advice or suggestions (as I know nothing of the matter first-hand), but I have a cousin who has two such children, and I know it weighs on her and her husband as they reach their late sixties. Both of their children are capable of working, but only at very low-wage jobs under special conditions; one cannot be in a position of dealing with the public. Best wishes to you as you travel this difficult road.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
This is a serious issue that may as a result of fiscal austerity become even more of a challenge. Best of luck to the OP.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,094 times
Both a blessing and a curse. Having worked in the DD world I know how loving and giving they can be as well as how much care they require. Kudos to you and your wife and all the best. You have to be very special people.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
One of the greatest challenges those of us with adult handicapped kids face is the significant cutback in services. Out here in California, they've cut back on the payment to those folks by over 30% the past few years, plus eliminated many items such as dental and eye care.

When raising these kids, and like many others we also raised "normal" kids too, you often have to make trade offs for time availability. In our case, like many others, we couldn't be a two income family since we needed to make time available for all of the "additional" appointments and services we needed to do for our special daughter (while still providing adequate interest and time in our other kids too). As a result, we had to make due with one income, and also incurred quite a bit of additional out of pocket expenses in providing adequate care and services, especially in a declining services environment.

So in retirement, we continue to try and balance the issues. In our case, due to the cutbacks in medical care for these types of folks we had to purchase additional healthcare insurance to try and ensure she at least gets reasonable care.

Not complaining at all, I had a decent work career and earned a good pension, so we are OK. Just wanted to point out a bit of a different perspective on what some of us have to consider in retirement.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
In my case my son is a disabled veteran who has been declared incompetent. The VA takes care of all of his medical including dental and between them and SSD he has adequate money. The question is, who takes care of him when we are gone. Arizona has a terrible record of guardians ripping off the veterans they are supposed to care for

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In my case my son is a disabled veteran who has been declared incompetent. The VA takes care of all of his medical including dental and between them and SSD he has adequate money. The question is, who takes care of him when we are gone. Arizona has a terrible record of guardians ripping off the veterans they are supposed to care for
Then they/it should be shot!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I have a niece that is 30+ with <8 year old mental capacity and numerous other handicaps. Between the government programs and family help the finances have not been the primary worry but the guidance and supervision. This person is difficult for loving parents to handle so we worry how to provide a home long term with any amount of funding no less the modest funds that are available.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
The worse part of being a parent with a child like that unable to care for themselves is that eventually the parent will go first. My mother's sister born handicapped blind and no sense of touch. Not paralized but just short of that. Well my grandmother cared for her until she passed away in 84. Then my mom who could not take care of her got her into a really nice nursing home. Now my mom is gone and still my aunt is still kicking.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
The worse part of being a parent with a child like that unable to care for themselves is that eventually the parent will go first. My mother's sister born handicapped blind and no sense of touch. Not paralized but just short of that. Well my grandmother cared for her until she passed away in 84. Then my mom who could not take care of her got her into a really nice nursing home. Now my mom is gone and still my aunt is still kicking.
As difficult as it may be to reconcile ourselves to, we cannot save or protect our children, special needs or otherwise, forever however much we may wish to. We can make provisions and hope they're enough but in the end, at some point it's out of our hands. That seems to be the human condition. If there are siblings we can only hope they'll step up and fill the hole we'll eventually leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement