Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I can see it not appealing to kids.
If you work and are a property owner, though, and did not have an attorney on retainer, he gave good practical information on how to cope with the mostly economic daily ups and downs. Most of this were things you could only learn from experience or if you had a good network of friends. I felt a lot more confident after listening to Uncle Bernie for a while.
Yes, it was boring for a kid, although I'd probably enjoy it now. I just remember our car rides down the shore and having to listen to it the whole way and me being whiny about it.

I consider my dad self-educated. He never went to college but used to listen to those radio talk shows in the car and at home - Bernard Meltzer, Harry Gross, Jay Lamont - can't remember the other names. By listening to them and reading books on the subject, he learned quite a bit about finances and real estate. Whenever I have a finance question, I call him up! Thanks for the memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Sometimes, when you are working, you dream of a stress free life in the country somewhere, but after you retire for a few years you realize that that might be exceedingly boring. Some people need a bit of excitement and need to stay plugged in and involved.

So, it's good not to commit until you are sure.

Bernie Meltzer (anyone remember him?) used to advise folks to, if they could afford it, travel to the area they'd like to live in and rent for a year before buying.
Good advice. I'm easing into retirement by working part-time telecommuting for my old full-time job. I moved to a small, artsy town in WA with a lot of retirees. There are a lot of things I love about living here - the scenery, the weather, the people. But after three years here, I'm missing a lot of cultural things that were available to me when I lived in San Francisco and later Davis, near Sacramento. It also takes me almost 3 hours to get to the airport in Seattle. So I've decided when I actually retire for good, I personally need to be in a larger place, not necessarily a big city, but someplace with a decent arts and music scene, better shopping that isn't 45 minutes away (until recently you couldn't even buy underwear here!), and at least a regional airport. I don't mind connecting flights, but driving all morning to get to the airport has actually discouraged me from traveling as much as I'd like. I have several places in mind, places I've visited enough to know that I like.

And I'm definitely going to rent a year wherever I choose to go. Even a year isn't necessarily enough time. The charms of a new location can take a little longer than that to wear off. But at least a year gives you time to learn the area thoroughly enough to decide exactly where you want to buy if you stay.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
These are cities with a population over 50,000

10 Cheapest U.S. Cities to Live In-Kiplinger

Many have less expensive houses, some have better unemployment figures.
I don't see a lot mentioned on the crime rate or quality of medical care.
this is list first of all; is more about cost of living than desirability and I pay as much attention to these studies as I do to the Sunday comics. They change monthly or by who is doing the study Kip says one thing, next week Forbes will say something different and they AARP will come out with their list. It is still interesting to see what is being said and a starting place for research when retirement age hits. It is also important to realize, places to retire may differ from best places to live while still employed. What we seniors think is important may not be issues with those still in the workplace and visa versa.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I've read that Winston-Salem has excellent medical care associated with Wake University. That is one place on the list that I would consider.
They do or so I have heard as well. Actually so does Fayetteville and Conway. In fact Little Rock, not far from Conway has one of the best children's hospitals in the country.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They do or so I have heard as well. Actually so does Fayetteville and Conway. In fact Little Rock, not far from Conway has one of the best children's hospitals in the country.
How many retired people need a children's hospital? Just those wearing Depends???

Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Well, that depends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
How many retired people need a children's hospital? Just those wearing Depends???

Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I completely agree but my point was: the article was more about cheap places to live than desirable places for seniors and someone, the OP I think mentioned medical facilities. Either you are choosing to overlook what I was referring to or I misunderstood....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this is list first of all; is more about cost of living than desirability and I pay as much attention to these studies as I do to the Sunday comics. They change monthly or by who is doing the study Kip says one thing, next week Forbes will say something different and they AARP will come out with their list. It is still interesting to see what is being said and a starting place for research when retirement age hits. It is also important to realize, places to retire may differ from best places to live while still employed. What we seniors think is important may not be issues with those still in the workplace and visa versa.
Certainly. That's a huge consideration for people. If you are going to start your search for a new place to live in retirement by consulting such lists, be sure you know whether the list is FOR retired people. Taxes may vary a lot between retirees and those still in the work force. The reason Kiplingers is a favorite of mine is that they are the first ones whom I have seen, years back, who did a list of comparative costs of living in all the states for retirees, itemizing each factor. Of course, property taxes can go all over the place, depending on where in the state you move to.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Certainly. That's a huge consideration for people. If you are going to start your search for a new place to live in retirement by consulting such lists, be sure you know whether the list is FOR retired people. Taxes may vary a lot between retirees and those still in the work force. The reason Kiplingers is a favorite of mine is that they are the first ones whom I have seen, years back, who did a list of comparative costs of living in all the states for retirees, itemizing each factor. Of course, property taxes can go all over the place, depending on where in the state you move to.
But that list can also drive prices up over time as more people move to those cities and overwhelm them.
Austin is a good example. Housing costs are going up rather fast, taxes are increasing, traffic becoming very congested and jobs are hard to come by unless you network.

Being a Kiplinger popular city sometimes can do more bad than good in the long run.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that list can also drive prices up over time as more people move to those cities and overwhelm them.
Austin is a good example. Housing costs are going up rather fast, taxes are increasing, traffic becoming very congested and jobs are hard to come by unless you network.

Being a Kiplinger popular city sometimes can do more bad than good in the long run.
Sure, but as I think someone mentioned before, there are lots of lists. I happen to like Kiplinger, but there is Sterling's and AARP and others. Citys seem to cycle on and off and then back on those lists.

I've never visited Austin, but we plan to some day. That, and the state fair in Dallas.

The retirement population is growing and there are probably more people now than ever looking for a place and heavily weighting finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement