Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times

Advertisements

My wife has a very lucrative, upper management retirement/health package from a state government (not SC....LOL). She was hired with the promises of what she would get so she earned/is entitled to it.

She is the first to admit that government can no longer afford to do such and they must make some changes but in fairness, make the changes with the new hires not to those you have made "promises" to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My wife has a very lucrative, upper management retirement/health package from a state government (not SC....LOL). She was hired with the promises of what she would get so she earned/is entitled to it.

She is the first to admit that government can no longer afford to do such and they must make some changes but in fairness, make the changes with the new hires not to those you have made "promises" to.
The issue with pensions at the state level is only a possible problem and that is down the road depending on the ROI their trust fund gets.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well, I have to say the perks are way out of alignment with the private sector... I don't think its fair that taxpayers get raped by government employees...
Oh come on they are hard working dedicated government employees. They are our betters, superior to we the little peoples in every way so it is right and just to supply them with retirements that they earned.

For example just across the bay in Alameda County there is a supervisor that worked years for the peoples and some would take away her little stipend?

Alameda County rewards boss: $400k…for life

Quote:
according to the county auditor’s office, Muranishi’s annual pension will be equal to the dollar total of her entire yearly package — $413,000. She also has a separate executive private pension plan, for which the county chips in $46,500 a year.
How could she possibly survive on such a small amount?

//Sarcasm off

Pigs, pigs at the trough. Piggery. All employees of all levels of government need to get booted from these pigs at the trough pension programs and made to join social security and ObamaCare just like us little peoples... the peons that would not survive if it were not for the great leaders of government.

By all levels of government I mean just that, from the president of the country on down. No special pension programs for them with one exception and that's for the military. The military would belong to social security but would be able to draw full social security at 55 and not 67 or 68.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Well, all these promises that state/local governments made need to be looked at; as their rear end's can no longer cash the checks that were written.

Promises are promises, but reality is reality, and I really don't see why needed changes couldn't to apply to current and future employees. Yearly changes to the federal government health benefit program affect all, and they just learn to live with the changes.

There are many state/local health benefit plans that reimburse retirees for medicare part B premiums, which is unheard of anywhere else, and its a considerable cost. The Federal health benefit program does not provide such reimbursement, so not sure why these state plans do; really doesn't make much fiscal sense.

The state/local employees and retirees, along with their unions simply need to understand that the funding is no longer there to provide these types of benefits, and major changes are necessary to ensure the system will remain solvent. And states/local municipalities need to look at the federal government and private industry health benefit programs for cost savings initiatives.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Piggery. All employees of all levels of government need to get booted from these pigs at the trough pension programs and made to join social security and ObamaCare just like us little peoples... the peons that would not survive if it were not for the great leaders of government
I'll ignore the unnecessary and inflammatory rhetoric long enough to correct one of your several misconceptions lest others are misled by it.

The vast majority of government workers do pay into Social Security and Medicare, just like everyone else. In addition, in all cases I'm aware of, they also pay into their pension funds as well as for a great proportion of their health care coverage.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM

419 posts, read 656,480 times
Federal employees have been paying into social security since 1983 or so. They also pay into medicare. They also contribute to a retirement fund if they choose too. It is matched but don't know if the match is at 100%. Also health benefits are not free. They are taken out of retirees pay every month and it is not cheap. Why so many people think Government retirees get free health care is beyond belief. Just ignorant people who don't research anything and spout off rhetoric they know nothing about.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Why so many people think Government retirees get free health care is beyond belief. Just ignorant people who don't research anything and spout off rhetoric they know nothing about.
There is a need in this and all similar threads to qualify the term "Government". Retirement and health care benefits provided to many state/local government employees/retirees are superior to what federal employees/retirees receive.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM

419 posts, read 656,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
There is a need in this and all similar threads to qualify the term "Government". Retirement and health care benefits provided to many state/local government employees/retirees are superior to what federal employees/retirees receive.
Here in WA state I know a state employee who retired like in his mid-late 50's. Supposedly disabled yet I have yet to see him disabled. Back problems - hell we all have back problems. Layed his own walkway = really how does one with a bad back do that. I digress --He get free medical - does not pay a cent. No, he did not retire on L&I. What a joke - state never checks on these people. It goes on and on. However, WA state is having financial issues like most so I think at some point he will be in for a rude awaking - having to pay a portion of his medical that is.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
I will ask again- please tell us what you know of the pension plans you complain about. What is the formula, how much do employees contribute, what is the employers contribution, etc. Facts please.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh come on they are hard working dedicated government employees. They are our betters, superior to we the little peoples in every way so it is right and just to supply them with retirements that they earned.

For example just across the bay in Alameda County there is a supervisor that worked years for the peoples and some would take away her little stipend?

Pigs, pigs at the trough. Piggery. All employees of all levels of government need to get booted from these pigs at the trough pension programs and made to join social security and ObamaCare just like us little peoples... the peons that would not survive if it were not for the great leaders of government.

By all levels of government I mean just that, from the president of the country on down. No special pension programs for them with one exception and that's for the military. The military would belong to social security but would be able to draw full social security at 55 and not 67 or 68.
Were you actually frothing at the mouth when you wrote the post above? That's how I imagine you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement