Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Ahhhhhhh, if Social Security reform was only as easy as Social Security debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It wasn't a personal attack just because you disagreed with the post...
Correct. It was a personal attack because it was personal (aimed at me explicitly) and an attack. Enough with the nonsense, okay? I haven't said word one against you personally. Knock it off already. Attack the perspectives I've posted, if you want - presenting the other sides of the argument - but stop attacking me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Hehe.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Correct. It was a personal attack because it was personal (aimed at me explicitly) and an attack. Enough with the nonsense, okay? I haven't said word one against you personally. Knock it off already. Attack the perspectives I've posted, if you want - presenting the other sides of the argument - but stop attacking me personally.
I responded directly to your posts, your perspective. I tried to be civil and objective, I'm still not sure what upset you. Quoting a poster is a personal attack aimed at the poster now? You're the one who decided there was a personal attack, where there was none.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It will make it harder to plan on income for retirement. Inflation is a huge
factor, but I think the Republicans won't agree to Obama's plan.
of course they won't agree and Obama knows it, but now he can use this as proof the GOP won't work with him. Now I will add just one little thing, most of us, who collect SS really don't count on those COL adjustments that much cause they are never really based on the true COL increases. When you get a huge $20 a month increase it doesn't really make a lot of difference anyway. I think it is also important to remember SS was never meant to be our primary source of income and it wasn't meant to be collected for 20plus years. Does that make me happy with the plan? Of course not, we live pretty much on SS plus some investments and a small (very small) retirement. That is why hubby continues to work part time.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would say raise the cap on FICA, raise FICA 1% and gradually raise the retirement age to 68.

If you cut current SS recipients you will end up sending many of them into poverty because costs are regardless and COLAs haven't been keeping up because food, energy and housing aren't included and those are the costs going up the most and we all NEED them.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
As far as I know medicare part B premiums are $104.90 for those who make less than $85K
And if you want to cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't cover you will pay $230.00 a month for a secondary policy. You can get a Medicare Advantage plan that is all the insurance Co's are mass advertising that covers everything but a deductible. These plans are expensive(deductible's) if you need to use them. So lets face it, health care is very expensive for the retired. But the fault lies with the .gov catering to Pharma and the Ins. Co's. One medication that I take costs me $50.00 copay a month.(pharma bills the Part D $200.) That is stupid in the highest sense. I have been buying direct from India for the last 3 years at the cost of $12 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Have you included the corporate welfare and bank bailouts in this? I do not think they will be "sharing."
Of coarse not.(I only read the first page). See my comment above.

So it really doesn't matter what we think, nothing will change in DC. It's a illusion to believe that we are represented by those morons up/down/sideways there. Remember the Bank Bailout? 90% of people were against it. Did they pass it anyway? Case dismissed.

The country is broke. The Fed's zero interest policy removes any growth to savings for retiree's. The Fed's policy's are bankrupting this country.

Now about SS. Well it wouldn't be in as bad a shape as it is if CONgress didn't use the money like regular income tax. All the supposed 'trust fund' has been spent long ago. But hey, all the morons want is to get re-elected. Heaven forbid that they go out and get a job with their 90 IQ's.

It isn't fixable without a LOT of pain for everyone. But they can kick the can down the road for a while while making everyone poorer slowly.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course they won't agree and Obama knows it, but now he can use this as proof the GOP won't work with him. Now I will add just one little thing, most of us, who collect SS really don't count on those COL adjustments that much cause they are never really based on the true COL increases. When you get a huge $20 a month increase it doesn't really make a lot of difference anyway. I think it is also important to remember SS was never meant to be our primary source of income and it wasn't meant to be collected for 20plus years. Does that make me happy with the plan? Of course not, we live pretty much on SS plus some investments and a small (very small) retirement. That is why hubby continues to work part time.
agree 100%; that is why my hubby is still working.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Don't fall into the pleasure of some to argue with them or try and prove a point. They will never agree with our point of view so why bother with them. State your view and be done with it. I wish they had a liked like FB so we could like what you say or not. To me that is better than trying to argue with people who may or may not be telling the truth. Personally, I think a lot of these posters are the same people with different names. I mean, really, what is to prevent them for establishing more than one name especially if they have more than one email account.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The problem with reform, is the debate is centered around ideology, and what one thinks is right or wrong. Rather than figuring out a way to work the numbers, that inflicts the least amount of pain on the populace as a whole.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Post Real reason for SS cuts

Pete Orzag, Obama's top budget guy, now moved on to the private sector, recently admitted that SS does not contribute to the deficit in any meaningful way.

He went on to admit that the ONLY reason for SS cuts is as a signal to Wall Street that the political climate allows for this kind of thing to be done. This supposedly boosts confidence.

Think about that. It's nothing but a slap across the face with a glove. If working people and seniors take this with nothing but a @#$%-eating grin, then Wall Street knows they have nothing to fear.

Mark my words, this is only the beginning. It' a trial run. The real goal is total privatization of all social safety net programs, to the vast enrichment of middlemen.

All hands on deck, people.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
I honestly don't know how the chained CPI would work. But I did discover that chained CPI assumes that some items have zero price elasticity:

Zero elasticity of substitution within item categories is assumed for the small number of item
categories in which the Laspeyres formula is used.

These items include:

Laspeyres items are Local telephone service, Rent, Housing at school, Owners’ equivalent rent, Electricity, Natural gas,
Water and sewerage service, Physicians’ services, Dental services, Eyeglasses and eye care, Other medical professional
service, Hospital services, Nursing homes and adult daycare, Cable television, and State and local vehicle registration,
license, and motor vehicle property tax

See page 12 of this document:

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/super_paris.pdf

Note that although this is a small number of items - they make up a pretty big % of the CPI. And I honestly don't think anyone knows how all these parts would work together under various inflation/deflation scenarios. We've had hedonic adjustments to the CPI for a long time now - and they don't seem much different to me than chained CPI.

BTW - to the person who mentioned way back that people earning < X had to pay part B premiums - below certain income levels - people qualify for Medicaid as well as Medicare. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement