U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM

34,689 posts, read 33,690,741 times

Advertisements

Saw this article today and thought you might be interested:

"A large percentage of the 78 million Americans who are classified as baby boomers are going to live anywhere from 10 to 25 years longer than their parents did. Those who reach retirement age now are often physically healthy enough to run marathons, build houses and start new businesses. For these reasons, retirement communities have become less attractive for many boomers who are seeking diversified lifestyles and new challenges... Technology and longevity have given the baby boomer generation choices that did not exist previously. Subsequent generations will also face unique challenges and opportunities as our world becomes increasingly mobile. But the boomers will be the first generation to truly blaze the trail through the landscape of retirement in the 21st century."

Full article:

How Baby Boomers Will Change The Way Others Retire - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
I makes sense for a retiree to pick a retirement community that focuses on
our strengths. Such as a place where we can continue to be active and vital.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 AM

720 posts, read 1,485,298 times
Have worked in 55+ communities as an RN. Such cliquey-ness and back-biting. No thanks. Already have our place, mixed ages and $$$$ status, lots going on in the greater community. Also hoping to work part-time, if not, then volunteer. Super bad arthritis means no 5k's ;-)

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 564,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I makes sense for a retiree to pick a retirement community that focuses on
our strengths. Such as a place where we can continue to be active and vital.
I agree with you. Because we will be moving to a new retirement area we want to be able to make friends to have a support group. We like the idea of having things to do and less outside maintenance.

Over 55 communities not for everyone but for us = we have decided.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
We choose our area because there are a lot of retired people here so we feel we fit in beautifully but it is not solely a retirement community so we have friends of various ages and we have some family here. I do imagine, in a few more years we will be looking at either a retirement center or a townhouse, because of maintenance. I can see both sides of the issue. The thing that I keep thinking about is the number of people leaving the work force as more baby boomers retire and the lack of workers to continue paying into SS etc. The good news, of course, is the unemployment figures should improve.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM

9,581 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We choose our area because there are a lot of retired people here so we feel we fit in beautifully but it is not solely a retirement community so we have friends of various ages and we have some family here. I do imagine, in a few more years we will be looking at either a retirement center or a townhouse, because of maintenance. I can see both sides of the issue. The thing that I keep thinking about is the number of people leaving the work force as more baby boomers retire and the lack of workers to continue paying into SS etc. The good news, of course, is the unemployment figures should improve.
I'll soon be paying Social Security as a straight tax. When I reach seventy this year I'll get SS but my future tax will do nothing to raise it. This stinks but it's typical of government. Since I own my own business I can't see any reason to retire.

I don't ever plan to leave my single family home for a retirement community but I do like living with people my age and older. As a war baby I grew up in a far different world from most of the boomers. I share experiences and values far more with people who are older rather than younger.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Have worked in 55+ communities as an RN. Such cliquey-ness and back-biting. No thanks. Already have our place, mixed ages and $$$$ status, lots going on in the greater community. Also hoping to work part-time, if not, then volunteer. Super bad arthritis means no 5k's ;-)
Have to add here that our community and area is a popular one for retirees, but not age restricted.
Nice to be around those who are in the same age range, but I also enjoy kids and young people. Well, teenagers, not so much (sometimes) but that stage eventually ends.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll soon be paying Social Security as a straight tax. When I reach seventy this year I'll get SS but my future tax will do nothing to raise it. This stinks but it's typical of government. Since I own my own business I can't see any reason to retire.

I don't ever plan to leave my single family home for a retirement community but I do like living with people my age and older. As a war baby I grew up in a far different world from most of the boomers. I share experiences and values far more with people who are older rather than younger.
I find older people are much nicer than people my age (60's). Better manners, kinder oh I could
go on.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
I keep reading all these statements about how much longer Boomers are expected to live . . . but that is not what I am seeing happen around me.

I have mentioned this to my high school friends and to my dad, and we are shocked at how many of our peers have died in their 50s and how many have died in the last two years at 58-65. It is very unnerving. None were accidents and none were suicides . . . folks are dying from cancer, especially - but a lot of brain tumors and lymphoma - wh/ typically just isn't that common (or hasn't been in the group of people I grew up with, their siblings and parents). Many of my classmates are NOT outliving their parents.

Also, we keep finding out about folks under 65 who have chronic illnesses and some who are disabled from chronic disease - but whose parents (in their 80s - 90s) are still living.

Maybe this is totally isolated and just coincidental, but it seems that every article I read is about how Boomers will, overall, live longer than their parents . . . and yet, I am seeing a significant number of folks who won't outlive their parents (or who have already died).

Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I keep reading all these statements about how much longer Boomers are expected to live . . . but that is not what I am seeing happen around me.

I have mentioned this to my high school friends and to my dad, and we are shocked at how many of our peers have died in their 50s and how many have died in the last two years at 58-65. It is very unnerving. None were accidents and none were suicides . . . folks are dying from cancer, especially - but a lot of brain tumors and lymphoma - wh/ typically just isn't that common (or hasn't been in the group of people I grew up with, their siblings and parents). Many of my classmates are NOT outliving their parents.

Also, we keep finding out about folks under 65 who have chronic illnesses and some who are disabled from chronic disease - but whose parents (in their 80s - 90s) are still living.

Maybe this is totally isolated and just coincidental, but it seems that every article I read is about how Boomers will, overall, live longer than their parents . . . and yet, I am seeing a significant number of folks who won't outlive their parents (or who have already died).
I generally agree with this. I don't see any boomers running marathons; most are couch potatoes even if they hit the gym a few times a week. Most have chronic illness and take a fair amount of permanent meds. I've lost four friends in the past few years, all in their 60s, from cancer. I think cancer is now emerging ahead of heart disease. I know too many boomers getting hip and knee replacements. The really old folks keep ticking and ticking, even through bypass surgeries and cancer that they seem to recover from or hold at bay. The oldest generation did not grow up bombarded by toxic pesticides and plastics, etc nor were they brought up on terrible food, even if they ate little during the Great Depression. Their original constitutions seem hardier than ours, the Wonder Bread kids. There are a LOT of 92 year olds out there today, and beware, many are still behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or