U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times

Advertisements

ITA, it becomes much more difficult to move to a new city the older you get. This isn't based on any studies, just my own observation of friends and family over the years.

It seems like most people get 1-2 last bursts of desire for change. One hits when they get to the point of retirement (and they feel excited about the next stage in their life). The other is much milder, and hits when it's time to move into an assisted living facility. A lot of people don't get this second burst, and those that do tend to chose facilities in their own neighborhood. By this point in your life, you want to shop at the same stores, go to the same places, see the same faces.

I've lived in Cleveland, Miami, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Asheville, and Northern VA. In my 20's, I moved all the time, just becuase I was bored and wanted to see a new place. Often I moved across the country without having a job!

In my 30's I moved once, for a major promotion at my work. I noticed this move was much more difficult than the ones before. That was the first time I realized it really does become more difficult to move as you get older.

In my 40's I thought about moving a few times, but decided against it because it just seemed like too much of an ordeal. Moving was no longer an adventure.

In my 50's, retirement was straight ahead, and moving to a new, less urban place was exciting. OTOH, we also hated the thought of leaving the familiar more than ever. Also, the logistics of moving seemed exhausting. We knew this would probably be our last major move.

We will probably move one more time, in our 70's. However, we were careful to choose a retirement home with a variety of appropriate plaecs in our neighborhood. Becuase we just don't want to make a major move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
I think it depends on how much you moved when you were young and if it was a good experience. I love the chance to get to know someplace new. I hate the mechanics of it but once I get there, great!

Family. Ick! I've already put in my time caring for the elderly, 11 years, and I'm done with babysitting too. What's coming up next is MY time and I earned every minute of it. If I want to see family that's what planes are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or