Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just about everyone. The will to survive is stronger than the pain of old age. Virtually nobody says "I want to end it."
That's not my experience at all based on my Hospice volunteering. Plus, I now live with the elderly, and there are a lot who would like to end it, but are too scared to do it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
a lot who would like to end it, but are too scared to do it themselves.
Which is the answer to the original question.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There are a couple of states that allow assisted suicide. There are residence and terminal illness requirements, but it is possible if one is mobile and has the resources (money and manpower to get there).

I asked one of my daughters to put a pillow over my head and she was very offended. I was only half-kidding.
Read Carolyn Heilbrun's The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty. Great book.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Which is the answer to the original question.
No, Charles. What they are afraid of is suicide. Usually for religious reasons. Sometimes because they are afraid that they won't be successful.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
what i'm afraid of is a long, slow and painful end. which would probably be in
a nursing home.
Not afraid of death itself, sometimes it's a blessing.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
Quote:
The will to survive is stronger than the pain of old age. Virtually nobody says "I want to end it."
Quote:
That's not my experience at all based on my Hospice volunteering. Plus, I now live with the elderly, and there are a lot who would like to end it, but are too scared to do it themselves.
"Virtually no one" is somewhere between 0.0143% and 0.1573% evidently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
  • Older Americans are disproportionately likely to die by suicide.
  • Of every 100,000 people ages 65 and older, 14.3 died by suicide in 2007. This figure is higher than the national average of 11.3 suicides per 100,000 people in the general population.
  • As noted, an estimated 11 nonfatal suicide attempts occur per every suicide death. Men and the elderly are more likely to have fatal attempts than are women and youth.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
...what you are doing to prepare?
Nothing. I live my life, every day, as if it will be my last. My Will and Powers of Attorney and beneficiaries are identified.

Quote:
Or do you try to not even think about it?
I've no doubt ... we all think about it. I don't obsess about it. It's not a central thought every day. When it's my time ... He will decide.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I can understand how you feel but why are you afraid of dying? Not wanting to die and being afraid are two different things. I am a little surprised to see someone your age posting on the retirement forum. There certainly isn't anything wrong with this, just a surprise.
I got here via a link, not specifically posting on the retirement forum I figured I'd post because this is a question all ages can answer.

And I am afraid of dying because if I died, my life would be cut severely short. I really don't want to die at a mere 20 years old.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I got here via a link, not specifically posting on the retirement forum I figured I'd post because this is a question all ages can answer.

And I am afraid of dying because if I died, my life would be cut severely short. I really don't want to die at a mere 20 years old.
Of course we understand. And I certainly wish you a long, happy and healthy life.

I had a great life. I worked for almost 30 years at a job I loved (well, up until the last 5 years LOL), with people who were wonderful (we were like family). Now I have a nice pension. (PLEASE started prudently planning for your retirement NOW -- or marry someone very wealthy. ) When I was young, I traveled to every place I ever wanted to visit. I did a lot of volunteering. I just did a lot of things and had, what I consider, a very, very good life. I hope you have a great life too! Just because I'm tired of living doesn't mean that I am not profoundly and humbly grateful for all that has been given to me. Actually, I think I'm still having a good life. I'm just tired of all the BS in the world. I wouldn't mind passing away at a relatively young age.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I'm not afraid of it...I just don't want to do it....at least, not right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement