Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the problem is that we don't have a retirement SYSTEM but instead have a series of issues and independent programs trying to address them at best. Much of the discussion in this thread has focused on health care and it is very appropriate that it does. I can't help shake how at one point that was considered off topic when in fact it is core to the retirement income topic. Fortunately since I was the OP I could say that and the discussion could move forward. Perhaps our leaders at the state and federal level need to link their discussions on those topics and actually begin to systematically discuss how to solve our looming retirement crisis.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Perhaps the problem is that we don't have a retirement SYSTEM but instead have a series of issues and independent programs trying to address them at best. Much of the discussion in this thread has focused on health care and it is very appropriate that it does. I can't help shake how at one point that was considered off topic when in fact it is core to the retirement income topic. Fortunately since I was the OP I could say that and the discussion could move forward. Perhaps our leaders at the state and federal level need to link their discussions on those topics and actually begin to systematically discuss how to solve our looming retirement crisis.
Maybe they should start reading & posting on CD.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Perhaps the problem is that we don't have a retirement SYSTEM but instead
have a series of issues and independent programs trying to address them at best.
That conflict describes the fundamental problem with EVERY aspect of planning and governance
in the US since the middle of the 19th century. The 18th century political compromise that foisted
"states rights" on the whole of us has done more than enough damage. End it!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That conflict describes the fundamental problem with EVERY aspect of planning and governance
in the US since the middle of the 19th century. The 18th century political compromise that foisted
"states rights" on the whole of us has done more than enough damage. End it!
The differences in state and local policies across states along with funding differences is certainly core to the notion of what is the basic level of support folks should receive in the their retirement years.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
The differences in state and local policies across states along with funding differences is certainly core to the notion of what is the basic level of support folks should receive in the their retirement years.
Should receive? None! May receive? Some - contingent upon fund participation and largesse.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Should receive? None! May receive?
Some - contingent upon fund participation and largesse.
The point is about having 50 separate state agencies on EVERY issue each with their own agenda
and their own set of laws *compounded* by the thousands of separate Counties and Cities all of
whom genuinely believe they know the one true path and insist on having a say.

On most issues the differences are minor.
Where they aren't minor the ensuing rhetoric creates even more issues.
We need a better way to administer than what we have inherited.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
The point is about having 50 separate state agencies on EVERY issue each with their own agenda
and their own set of laws *compounded* by the thousands of separate Counties and Cities all of

Agreed!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:

As we move forward the differences in how Medicaid is administered in regards to seniors could become enormous as states contain costs and seniors compete with low income folks for decreasing dollars or in some states perhaps not decreasing resources. I am thinking mostly of assisted living/nursing home care.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
only thru subcontracting instead of direct hire. time to stop subcontracting just the little guy. clerks and janitors are not the ones killing us. police, firemen, teachers need to all be kelly girl.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
only thru subcontracting instead of direct hire. time to stop subcontracting just the little guy. clerks and janitors are not the ones killing us. police, firemen, teachers need to all be kelly girl.
Yeah...I want my police, fire and teachers to be completely incompetent and lacking in motivation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement