Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

Yes, bullie, those are the reasons I am still here in AZ.

Started the thread to see how many of us WOMEN ALONE have actually made the transition successfully and are happy with their new home. Not many have responded and I am one who is still on the fence. Visited the new town twice; bad ideas about it still plague me. Its the "Bible Belt" and I am concerned about me fitting in. Also I don't know anyone there. I know how to meet people, make contacts, etc. but my daughter is here, not there. The "what ifs" are overwhelming me and I can't decide what to do. Pretty soon my old body will be too old to do it anyway if I keep this up. What's the solution? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 AM

437 posts, read 649,372 times
Oh lordie, the Bible Belt and I would not get along at ALL, either..... Talk about sticking out like sore thumb! lol..... As irreverent as I am about most things, I definitely need to find a smaller CITY, not so much a town, where I can blend in as just another crazy person.

That's why I'm looking at more eclectic areas such as Asheville, NC. I can't afford to live right in town, but depending on what I get from the sale of my house, maybe a wee bit out, but close enough to medical facilities, etc.

bullie~

Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, that's inspirational! You're lucky to have two houses to sell....that will help a lot!

I assume you have been to Arkansas -- what is it like to live there? (I tend to conjure up horrible images of the south in my mind....I know it's got to be different than my images - lol.)

Good for you!
I have been to Arkansas about once a year for the past 10 years - for short vacations. Not enough time to get a real sense of the community. I am moving to a town about an hour outside Little Rock. But I am frankly tired of the folks in the North East (not you -- but acquaintances) who look down on AR - like "why would you ever move to AR?" I know there are various cultural issues throughout the US. Cosmopolitan New Jersey has its share of bigots, etc. I just avoid them.

I am fortunate to have two homes to sell - I have worked hard and lived modestly AND BEEN LUCKY. (I know there are lots of folks who work hard and live modestly but are less fortunate than I. Luck is critical!)

It will be a challenge to figure out what I will do to fill my days in retirement. A good challenge...

On a side note I had considered getting an RV and traveling throughout the US - but I figured, as a single old lady, I would need a GUN. And I am not ready to get a gun.

Later...

Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromJersey View Post
I am moving to a town about an hour outside Little Rock.
Hot Springs Village? If so, let me know if you have any questions. I know it like the back of my hand. Actually, there are a few people on this forum who live in the general area or know Arkansas pretty well.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hot Springs Village? If so, let me know if you have any questions. I know it like the back of my hand. Actually, there are a few people on this forum who live in the general area or know Arkansas pretty well.
No. The other direction - Searcy. It is not a retirement community. It is generally equated with the "Church of Christ." That is a big religion in the area and Searcy is the home of Harding University - a Church of Christ school. Searcy is in White County. It is a "throwback" in the sense that it is a dry county.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I would like to start this thread, now that alot of us have been on here posting and dreaming of our new places. I am interested in those of you who actually did move alone to a new place and want to know how it went, if you are happy with your move, if it was hard to make friends, if you went back to your previous "home" or if you are sticking it out.

It seems like some of us just "disappear" and the stress of not knowing what happened to you is mind boggling. People like "Knoxgarden" and "Nancy the Reader" and a couple others keeps me wondering what challenges you met and what you decided about moving alone to a new place. I hope and pray for the best and that all who have made the move are doing well and enjoying their new places.
Haven't done it yet, but that's definitely what I'm planning on doing!

BTW - anybody heard from Knoxgarden?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
This might get deleted but I think we should remember those who have passed on, and appreciate all that they gave to us while here. Knoxgarden is one of those.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM

437 posts, read 649,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This might get deleted but I think we should remember those who have passed on, and appreciate all that they gave to us while here. Knoxgarden is one of those.
So sad....... Yes, it's a very difficult thing, living in an online community. It's not as though we're visiting and having a cup of coffee together... checking up on each other....

The cyber world of help is a whole different animal. Who knew people would start to touch our lives and our hearts, as we sought for help?

Very sad about Knoxgarden.

bullie~

Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
just read an interesting article about US "cultural" migration. Basically, it says that people are moving to where they feel culturally comfortable, no matter what the weather is. Example, people who are conservative are moving to Texas (exception is Austin) and people who are liberal/progressive will be attracted to Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, etc. I can buy into this theory because it seems a lot of us face roadblocks in this area, for example moving to the South when it is "Bible Belt" or moving to small towns, or moving to large cities that are primarily of a liberal bent. Decades ago people moved where the jobs were (and that's still somewhat true) but I think people are putting a lot of thought into where they will really "fit in", especially in retirement. Beyond politics, I think people want to feel comfortable with their lifestyles, for example, if one is not use to seeing people walking around showing a lot of skin, seeing beachwear in the grocery store, etc. it can be a bit of a shock and they might not want to live in LA or Miami. I have to laugh whenever I visit the East Coast and see how fully dressed everybody is

Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have to laugh whenever I visit the East Coast and see how fully dressed everybody is
And people back east tend to wear darker colored clothes that we do here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement