Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 03:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I was divorced 5 years ago. In the near future, I'll be selling this over-sized house and moving on. I've got passports for Canada and Ireland (citizenship through parents by registration of foreign birth).

First and foremost, I want to get away from the constant mass shootings in the USA and move to a country with tightly controlled gun ownership, national health insurance, and a decent social safety net. I just haven't decided which way to jump yet. I've lived in both Canada and Ireland before, and I like them both. I like the UK and Ireland a lot more than North America, though. My understanding is that with Irish citizenship, I can live and work in any country in the EU. As the law stands now, anyway. So I have a big upheaval coming my way. My last big adventure.
That sounds fabulous! I'd choose Ireland myself; I just love the vibe there. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM

492 posts, read 406,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Basically, this movie is about me (minus the love interest) My favorite band is Bleachers (Love u Jack )
--can't wait until it comes out next year...

I'm hoping that I can find a posse/community/tribe I can feel at home with wherever I land.
The movie trailer was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.

Your last sentence sums up what many of us wish to find. A nice friendly place, lower cost of living, mountains, rivers, beaches are all significant pieces. But the spirit of community is the glue.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:29 PM

372 posts, read 576,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That sounds fabulous! I'd choose Ireland myself; I just love the vibe there. Best of luck to you.
That sounds really exciting! How lucky you are to have such options.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I was divorced 5 years ago. In the near future, I'll be selling this over-sized house and moving on. I've got passports for Canada and Ireland (citizenship through parents by registration of foreign birth).

First and foremost, I want to get away from the constant mass shootings in the USA and move to a country with tightly controlled gun ownership, national health insurance, and a decent social safety net. I just haven't decided which way to jump yet. I've lived in both Canada and Ireland before, and I like them both. I like the UK and Ireland a lot more than North America, though. My understanding is that with Irish citizenship, I can live and work in any country in the EU. As the law stands now, anyway. So I have a big upheaval coming my way. My last big adventure.
It's funny, I thought about the Ireland move a few years ago too. I could get dual citizenship in that I am a grandchild of two Irish grandparents. Even without the constant mass shootings, I am so tired of the hatred, racism and vitriol in this country, the "we v. them" mentality, the ugliness of politics and the fact that nobody wants to work together to get anything done. I don't know what the political landscape is like in Ireland, but I thought with the IRA war settled, perhaps it would be more peaceful there. And being a fair-skinned Irish redhead, Ireland is the only place I ever felt like I belonged, the only place where there were lots of people who looked like me. But in the end, the idea was just too overwhelming at my age. The three things that worried me were 1) the damp, rainy weather, 2) the high cost of living, and 3) difference in Irish culture and how an American would be accepted among them, even an American with Irish roots.

So I moved to Florida instead.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 PM

232 posts, read 348,426 times
Florida, where most everyone is from somewhere else and all are welcome. I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for 30+ years. When I retired 2 years ago, I thought about moving to Boulder, CO and researched like crazy. Then I found a cute condo in the Norman Rockwell painting city of Safety Harbor, FL and decided to stay put. I close Monday and am very excited. I might still go out to Colorado for a few months in the summer, but there's a lot to be said about familiarity as you get older. It's nice knowing where to shop, who has the best grouper sandwich, and short cuts to beat the traffic.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
Florida, where most everyone is from somewhere else and all are welcome. I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for 30+ years. When I retired 2 years ago, I thought about moving to Boulder, CO and researched like crazy. Then I found a cute condo in the Norman Rockwell painting city of Safety Harbor, FL and decided to stay put. I close Monday and am very excited. I might still go out to Colorado for a few months in the summer, but there's a lot to be said about familiarity as you get older. It's nice knowing where to shop, who has the best grouper sandwich, and short cuts to beat the traffic.
A small bit of humor, when I was in NC this past spring, I saw a car with FL plates that had a bumper sticker that said "Florida Is Full."

Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
Safety Harbor...even the name sounds Norman Rockwell. Yes, it is easier to assimilate in certain areas of Florida where there are tons of transplants and you're not invading the "local" culture. I would never have been able to stand Florida if not for that. Good luck with your new condo! I will have to do a road trip to Safety Harbor sometime, now you've got me curious.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 AM

232 posts, read 348,426 times
Safety Harbor is known as the Jewel of Tampa Bay. It's small and geographically can not get any bigger. Main Street is restored with all independent restaurants and businesses, except for Starbucks. The desirability is reflected in the prices and most properties for sale are scooped up right away. As a single woman retiring alone with my dog and cat, I feel completely safe there. As an example of price, my 900+ sq ft villa sold for $117,500 and needs almost $10k more in repairs (roof, water heater, heat/ac, washer/dryer). With an excellent hospital close by, I can see myself there for the rest of my life.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I was discussing moving with some family members and friends and it is a no go for them.

We live in a very small south Texas town and that is where they want to stay. Not even move to a better part of town - maybe 10 blocks away. They like the familiar, even if it means the neighbor " kids" have become druggies and the place should be bull dozed. It's nuts.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
I had plans to move, until the crash. My house has still not recovered its value. Then my father died and Mom moved to an ALF. She may well make 100, in about 5 more years. I'm 70. Moving seems harder and harder as I get older and in 5 years I'm pretty sure it will be too late to move to a new place. Right now, I'm living in a very rural, but very scenic, area, too far from shopping and services for old age. I will need to move into town soon. Sometimes I still think of my dreams and plans from the big, now closed, thread, but it seems like they will not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement