Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Avalon: Just had to respond to your last post.
So sorry the cliques and vindictives came out in full force. That is the risk we take when moving to one of those communities I guess, and you have proven it does happen. Why do women act that way? It just makes my blood boil. I think it has to do with boredom, not enough to do, and not seeing ways to become more involved in things. Serving others as a volunteer has always been my way of not interacting with those types, but, even in volunteer work, there are those who are threatened by your offer to help. Some women just need a man around and are afraid you may be a threat and take her guy. If I ever get to Osher, I am going to start a class in "Some Women of a Certain Age: Vindictive, Jealous, Mean".

This just makes me want to have a Meet up, somewhere in the middle of the country, where we all could get together and be friends. If only.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Avalon: Just had to respond to your last post.
So sorry the cliques and vindictives came out in full force. That is the risk we take when moving to one of those communities I guess, and you have proven it does happen. Why do women act that way? It just makes my blood boil. I think it has to do with boredom, not enough to do, and not seeing ways to become more involved in things. Serving others as a volunteer has always been my way of not interacting with those types, but, even in volunteer work, there are those who are threatened by your offer to help. Some women just need a man around and are afraid you may be a threat and take her guy. If I ever get to Osher, I am going to start a class in "Some Women of a Certain Age: Vindictive, Jealous, Mean".

This just makes me want to have a Meet up, somewhere in the middle of the country, where we all could get together and be friends. If only.....
If only, I agree

Old 11-16-2016, 04:30 PM

28 posts, read 88,898 times
Zugor, It's been several years since you retired in Floyd, VA. How do you like it there as time goes on? I have a small tenant farm house near Blacksburg that I am gradually fixing up to move into in a few years when I finally retire. It is so peaceful and beautiful there but I am worried that I may feel too isolated and lonely after awhile. My grown children live in D.C. and I will no doubt be visiting there quite a lot. Tell us more about how you have settled in and if you are glad about your decision.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I did it!! I sold my home this past August, drove up to Indiana and stayed in a hotel. I stayed in a hotel while I looked at homes for sale in my area. Two weeks after I arrived, I found the home of my dreams, made an offer the first day it was listed and got it! I had to stay in the hotel, with my two dogs, for a total of 7 weeks! I am now settled in my home and love it! Everyone, insurance agent, post office employees, people I meet in the grocery, etc. has been so nice. It is soooooo much better here than where I was living in south Florida. It is so much cheaper here, too. Even the food is cheaper!

I was so stressed during all this! The 1300 mile drive up, the looking at houses, the dealing with a sick dog, etc. I think stress caused many, painful symptoms in my body but I am fine now. It is so good to be back home in Indiana!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Good for you Popcorn! Keep us up to date as time goes on.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I did it!! I sold my home this past August, drove up to Indiana and stayed in a hotel. I stayed in a hotel while
looked at homes for sale in my area. Two weeks after I arrived, I found the home of my dreams, made an offer the first day it was listed and got it! I had to stay in the hotel, with my two dogs, for a total of 7 weeks! I am now settled in my home and love it! Everyone, insurance agent, post office employees, people I meet in the grocery, etc. has been so nice. It is soooooo much better here than where I was living in south Florida. It is so much cheaper here, too. Even the food is cheaper!

I was so stressed during all this! The 1300 mile drive up, the looking at houses, the dealing with a sick dog, etc. I think stress caused many, painful symptoms in my body but I am fine now. It is so good to be back home in Indiana!
Good for you! I've been wondering what was going on with you. Lots of work - juggling - questioning yourself etc...

Tell us about your house.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Good for you! I've been wondering what was going on with you. Lots of work - juggling - questioning yourself etc...

Tell us about your house.
Umbria,
Are you making any progress moving out of the tundra?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
We don't generally sell/move during winter - too many added problems. Spring is it. Waiting has been to my benefit as my home value has gone up $40,000.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
We don't generally sell/move during winter - too many added problems. Spring is it. Waiting has been to my benefit as my home value has gone up $40,000.
and you survived your FINAL "leaf season" !
Stay warm / safe / and DON"T slip and fall!

You Gotta get outta that place in good shape

Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Popcorn: Thanks for your post ! I am in the middle, where you were. Sold my house and am taking a trip to NWA (Arkansas) in January to find a house. I have til March 1 to get out of here, so am packing hope with every box of stuff. I truly do not want to spend 7 weeks in a hotel. Yuk. My dogs would go bonkers, and so would I.

Great news that it can be done ! Please keep in touch, okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement