Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

From PBS Newshour today:

Americans Seriously Unprepared for Long-Term Care, Survey Finds | PBS NewsHour

Some are prepared, we know (no need to say you are).

The question is, what are the implications for the huge number of those who are not?

ETA: At an average of six or seven grand a month (the cost today at the lower end) for LTC/SNF, over many years how many of us are really prepared? Even over ten years, with costs escalating, puts this care at almost a million bucks. Let alone having money for the spouse to live. What is the coverage time of the average LTC policy and at what cost? Lots to contemplate. We'd better dust off our copies of Medicaid regulations.

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-24-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
I don't know if its denial more than it's simply unaffordable for most. Insurance companies are getting out of the business of selling LTC policies.

Down the road this country might be known for all the old people killing themselves rather than dealing with our capitalistic healthcare system where profits reign supreme and quality care comes in a very distant second.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

Down the road this country might be known for all the old people killing themselves rather than dealing with our capitalistic healthcare system where profits reign supreme and quality care comes in a very distant second.
Or log cabins deep into the woods are going to become real commodities.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
I don't know if its denial more than it's simply unaffordable for most. Insurance companies are getting out of the business of selling LTC policies.

Sorry to say, but valid points.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:

Exactly!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Speaking as someone who currently works in a long-term care facility, every time I think of setting some money aside for my future long-term care needs, why oh why oh why do I do it?????

I get on Expedia or Orbitz, and book a flight and hotel package somewhere!

I live it and breath it: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel!!!

And, at 63YO, I entertain the thought, maybe, just maybe, this next plane I fly in will crash en route or a tsunami will wash me out to sea!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Lawyer doing my will a few years ago gave me the following perspective:
If you live to 92 you have no idea what life and health care will be like then. Be prepared for with science and technology the only restriction to having an extended quality of life may be the ability to pay. Our concept of age and quality of life at that age may be very different when we get there. Were we really prepared or clued into the world of 2013 thirty years ago?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:

Oh my! Leave for a moment and look what happens. That dang sky assumes a downward attitude again.

I would hope us "old people" are made of sterner stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Remember that old slogan, "Hell no, I won't go!" ? That's my approach to the whole question. I am not living in a nursing home ever. Period. And it has nothing to do with finances. Living if I cannot take care of myself is not really living, it is death in life.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
This fear is driven only by insurance companies.

Instead of paying for a policy for years, and then having to drop it when you need it most, just pay yourself by setting money aside for your own health care. That way no one can drop your policy for non-payment as it will be your money in your name.

Too bad insurance greed wasn't eliminated in the new health care order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement