Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
When I worked, I traveled a lot throughout the US. Business suits required the full get up - wool jackets, lots of paper docs, etc... If I had to do that now, with all of today's rules

I debated getting the newer luggage that is much lighter since the airlines loves to gig you on weight but I don't see a lot of air travel in my future and if that does happen, I'll decide then.

Since 911, I have chosen to travel by car - not because I fear terrorist activity but because of all the hassles.
I totally relate, Umbria! I was lucky this time -- my jacket and pants (black, of course, lol) are a lightweight blend (both lined) and pack well. If I would have had more than one day of meetings, I would have put a pair of lightweight tropical wool grey pants w/ the black jacket, added a scarf. After that, I would be in trouble. I just don't buy really dressy clothes any more! It's more coldwater creek than Anne Klein or Jones these days!!!! Back in the 80s and 90s, it was MUCH more elaborate but I don't even put on the heels except for formal evenings these days.

Much prefer travel by car . . . we can stop whenever we want, take side trips . . . take our furkid with us if appropriate (can't do that when headed for a cruise!)

It just occurred to me that the whole luggage thing is why we decided to limit vacations to cruises. That was in 2002. Unpack once and that's that. I don't have to pack a lot b/c we either use the laundry on board and can hand wash some of the items.

This is all on my mind b/c I committed to the Hawaii trip recently . . . we wanted to do this as a family. But now I have started obsessing over the details . . . flying from the east coast to CA, then to Honolulu . . . maybe this wasn't such a good idea. At least I have time to figure out the details. We won't be doing this but once, so I want things to go smoothly and I sure don't want to feel like I have been through a battle upon arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM

ARIADNE: I just got on drugstore. com and ordered the Osteo Bioflex. Free shipping! I read the ingredients and nothing looks to be problematic for me . . . I am not one to take meds but I have read that chondroitin (sp?) helps many folks. I have friends who have mentioned they take some form of it, but no one has ever mentioned this brand. I read the info on their website and it looks very promising.

Thank you again for the tip!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
If you're worried about the luggage, ship it (FedEx) ahead of time to the hotel. Then you don't have to worry about it!
We bought a 27' travel trailer a couple of years ago. We love it!! Take the dog with us. It's such a great way to see the country. We normally only drive 3 or 4 hours (or less) and set up camp for at least two nites at a time. It's very manageable and not the least bit stressful.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
OK, lecture time~~~

Do not let the airlines ruin your vacation! I have been to Hawaii 3 times, but it has been a long time and no way would I fret about it.

The old adage that doing the mix & match routine where you stay in the same color scheme so you can change outfits with a different top but same slacks & vice versa (sounds really boring to me BUT) will allow you to travel light. You have your husband to consider so you have to keep it as simple for yourself as possible. I also hear quite often of people mailing many items ahead to the hotel so they don't have to carry them.

Sounds like a great vacation!!! Don't stress - go with the flow

Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
If you're worried about the luggage, ship it (FedEx) ahead of time to the hotel. Then you don't have to worry about it!
We bought a 27' travel trailer a couple of years ago. We love it!! Take the dog with us. It's such a great way to see the country. We normally only drive 3 or 4 hours (or less) and set up camp for at least two nites at a time. It's very manageable and not the least bit stressful.
Hmmm. I love that idea. A travel trailer? Like - you hitch it onto your vehicle?

Sorry I sound so dumb about all this. That sounds big! I have looked at RVs in the past, only casually, and saw some with "pop outs" and sooo many different sizes and features.

My problem is . . .hubby's health is impaired and he can't lift stuff or do much of anything physical at all these days. So I end up being the one that would have to do those things and my physical limitations don't leave me a lot of room for lifting much, either . . . how hard is it to park for the night?

I am going to have to look up some RV websites and see what this is all about!

As for FedEx, I will check into that. With airlines charging for baggage now, it may actually be quite cost effective. Thank you for that suggestion!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Now this is not going help if you're doing travel to hotels or for business.

However, if you're off to visit friends or relatives for several days or weeks, ship all your stuff UPS a couple of days ahead of time. All you need is someone at one end to receive . Going home, no problem, you're home, your stuff will arrive eventually.

Have a cousin and an in-law who have been doing this for a dozen years as air travel got to be just too annoying and they like to bring a lot of stuff. All you need to tote on the plane is yourself and a small carry on with a change of light weight shirt & pants, rolled up and room for your purse. Forget the laptop, use a tablet or a phone for internet access.

PS- Osteo BiFlex works wonders, most supermarkets, drug stores, Wal Mart, etc. carry it.

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ARIADNE: I just got on drugstore. com and ordered the Osteo Bioflex. Free shipping! I read the ingredients and nothing looks to be problematic for me . . . I am not one to take meds but I have read that chondroitin (sp?) helps many folks. I have friends who have mentioned they take some form of it, but no one has ever mentioned this brand. I read the info on their website and it looks very promising.

Thank you again for the tip!
You're welcome. Osteo Bi-Flex is primarily a glucosamine product. Its anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties are very good, in addition to great joint support. It wouldn't be a product for anyone w/shellfish allergies. I usually get mine at Walgreens or CVS when there's a 2/1 sale. Lately, they're offering buy one/2nd half price, so it appears the prices are going up. Lots of people using this stuff now, so I guess they're not cutting the prices the way they did. Just checked out drugstore.com. Didn't realize they had a powder drink mix and quick release. Popular product.

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
At this time I am traveling most the time (by air). But I am still a younger retiree. My computer BAG weighs more than my luggage... I will be glad to see a 'Smart Tablet' arrive. There are also some really lightweight laptops from Taiwan. I am doing some Temp work, so need to have computer and phone.

For road trips, it is tough to beat my Rialta.
18 - 22 mpg Class C that fits in std parking and has LOTS of windows for ez driving. Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van I just wish it was Diesel so I could run it on free cooking oil instead of buying fuel. I may convert it by swapping engines if I keep it long enough to wear out the gas engine.

My mom kept her 40' motorhome well into her 80's but found she much preferred Road Trek conversion van. She has since traded for Rialta due to wheelchair bound spouse.

Sprinter conversion vans are very nice, but small on inside and expensive to buy and fix.

I most frequently stay in Private Hospitality homes (via guest directory) $10 - $20 / night worldwide. Works excellent for me, as I like to get to know locals, and hate the Hotel hassle (searching and booking / parking / safety...). Once over age 40, there are several directories. I enjoy hosting international travelers, so works fine (when I'm home).

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OK, lecture time~~~

Do not let the airlines ruin your vacation! I have been to Hawaii 3 times, but it has been a long time and no way would I fret about it.

The old adage that doing the mix & match routine where you stay in the same color scheme so you can change outfits with a different top but same slacks & vice versa (sounds really boring to me BUT) will allow you to travel light. You have your husband to consider so you have to keep it as simple for yourself as possible. I also hear quite often of people mailing many items ahead to the hotel so they don't have to carry them.

Sounds like a great vacation!!! Don't stress - go with the flow
UMBRIA - thank you for the wise words! Don't be surprised if I come back to hear you repeat this several times over the coming months, lololol!!!!

You are right. This IS for hubby and to have a wonderful family time together, so I simply cannot get crazy over stuff like luggage/packing. I don't want anything to put even the hint of negativity onto this. Our son is soooo excited . . . his fiancee was here last evening (she left to NY this morning - I took her to airport -- been in airports too much lately!!!) . . . and she said he will be sitting in his "man cave" and start singing "Hawaii! Hawaii! We're going to Hawaii!" ha ha ha ha ha. She said he is THAT excited about it.

And hubby is already making his itinerary of things he wants to see/visit.

I think I will pack all white linen, some splashy print tops, and to heck with it!!!! And yes, maybe I will just FedEx it all!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Just don't forget the string bikini Actually, you can wear that under your regular clothes. In fact, you could keep layering most of your clothes on and walk your wardrobe on the plane. But, of course, that is when you'd get strip searched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement