U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,862,561 times

Advertisements

I just had a birthday and feel the urge to start a SERIOUS bucket list . . .

I want to have FUN!

I have so many things I want to do.

How about you?

Do you have a formal list?

Are you living it?

Please tell your positive experiences or dreams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Thank you for a happy post. And a belated happy birthday to you!!!!!!

I definitely have things to do and I keep them in my mind.

One is a genealogy trip that will retrace the steps of my New England ancestors. I hope that will happen this summer. Already I have a few places to visit around here that I never knew about before and by this summer we want to pack up the camper and head north to Vermont and New Hampshire and maybe even cross over into Canada.

I hope to take pictures, relax, see beautiful scenery, maybe check out a few cemeteries, but cemeteries are not really my thing. I might meet a few distant cousins if it works out. Who knows what other adventures will happen on the genealogy themed trip? As long as the car doesn't break down on a mountain somewhere in Vermont.

Another thing on my list is a trip to England and I guess it will be my last. My last because air travel is getting extremely expensive. I've always loved England and my family came from there so it interests me. I love touring formal gardens and delving into history.

I want to take a Caribbean cruise some day, in the winter when it's freezing around here.

I want to make sure I get to certain New England towns this summer for fairs and just to sight see.

I want to have a climbing rose on a trellis--have always wanted this--and dh has just built the trellis! It's actually an arch and now we just need to buy the rose plant. You can see it from the kitchen window and I hope it attracts hummingbirds.

I want to keep visiting friends and family always.

I'd like to get to Longwood Gardens and Winterthur in Delaware sometime. This has been going on forever and sooner or later I really will get there.

There is more, a lot more. I hope I get to do everything--

Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,862,561 times
I've listed 27 things so far and a lot of them involve travel and other travel adventures (like renting an apartment in a big city for a month) . . . I also want to acquire some animals (cats, chickens and dogs), and there are some frivolous fun things like putting artistic streaks in my hair - as well as serious things like finishing projects and volunteering . . .

I LOVE thinking about this.

I liked hearing some of your list and the climbing roses on the trellis sounds so wonderful.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
My 'bucket list' is very contemplative....

More based on what I want to leave behind as a contribution.

I am very fortunate to have had a LOT of fun .

My, Ultimate dream would be to become an EXCELLENT piana player, and be able to play for the enjoyment of others. (It has always come hard for me).

Other items are learning languages... I Need to learn several.

Then... I would be able to 'play' myself around the world and engage in other cultures.

For future adventures, I just desire to be helping others. My heart reaches out, even to the family of 5 girls I met today, operating an outdoor cafe in Thailand (Thatched roof, on posts, above sea...) You KNOW they are struggling but seem happy. The girls are all 13+ and are at risk of human trafficing, especially with economic pressure rising. It would be nice to offer to temporarily bring them to USA if they desire education (a USA EDU goes MUCH farther THERE than in USA). I would be more than happy to house them, and pay for their school, in hopes they could return home and find rewarding and useful jobs to help their family. And eventually pass along the favor, if they so choose.

I have friends (some retired, some young families) working in Afganistan, Philippines, Turkey, Brazil, and Tanzania. They live and work with the locals in an effort to help them farm or run businesses that keep food on the table. All of them are also volunteering in schools, often 'underground' to allow young girls an opportunity to learn.

So much to do, so little time. Make it count and live your dream.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
I want to see, really experience, nights in Alaska watching the aurora borealis and filming it, too.

I want to get my little mountain cottage all fixed it, down to gardens and water feature, a labyrinth and a celtic rock garden.

I want to publish at least one composition.

I want to stay for a while in Tibet.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I want to see, really experience, nights in Alaska watching the aurora borealis and filming it, too.
We felt very fortunate that we were able to experience the breathtakingly beautiful aurora borealis two nights in a row in Iceland three years ago (Feb 2010.) The first night, the lights danced for almost two hours. The locals told us that was the best show they had seen in 30 years. The photos I took with my camera turned out pretty good, but the button on husband's camera froze in the frigid weather so his film was of poor quality.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I want to stay for a while in Tibet.
I am editing a fascinating memoir of a woman traveler (age 60) to the Himalayas. I've urged more and more detail every step of the way. I've delved so far into her ms. that I feel like I've been there with her. There are definitely some do's and don'ts in the prep dept.—including travel light (in more ways than one). I think you would be rewarded by the journey.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Interesting to wake up to this thread. Fun has rarely been on my radar. Nice times, yes, but fun.....

When I stop to think about it, I realize my whole life has been work and responsibility. I haven't ever thought about fun (unless it was for the kids when they were young, like rafting). Maybe the twins (my new granddaughters) and I will have fun, and I hope it's not Disney. Their parents are outdoor enthusiasts. I think I'll start thinking of fun for when they're four or five.

If someone asked me what I would want to do for "fun" for myself at this stage, I'd really have to think. Guess I need to loosen up.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for a happy post. And a belated happy birthday to you!!!!!!

I definitely have things to do and I keep them in my mind.
Yes this is a great post instead of the usual government is taking all my money and I want to avoid that stuff!

Quote:
One is a genealogy trip that will retrace the steps of my New England ancestors. I hope that will happen this summer. Already I have a few places to visit around here that I never knew about before and by this summer we want to pack up the camper and head north to Vermont and New Hampshire and maybe even cross over into Canada.
This is a nice goal. Pursue that to whatever end. You will enjoy Canada as I have been there many times.

Quote:
I hope to take pictures, relax, see beautiful scenery, maybe check out a few cemeteries, but cemeteries are not really my thing. I might meet a few distant cousins if it works out. Who knows what other adventures will happen on the genealogy themed trip? As long as the car doesn't break down on a mountain somewhere in Vermont.
This is all part of the adventure above. Get a good easy to use digital camera and click away.

Quote:
Another thing on my list is a trip to England and I guess it will be my last. My last because air travel is getting extremely expensive. I've always loved England and my family came from there so it interests me. I love touring formal gardens and delving into history.
There are a number of those in Newport. If you haven't been there take a trip.

Quote:
I want to take a Caribbean cruise some day, in the winter when it's freezing around here.
A couple of pointers here. Avoid Carnival, not your age group. Royal is my preferred but Holland, Princess or Norwegean are nice as well. If you go in the winter as you plan watch for the weather ahead for your leaving. I got caught up with the blizard and missed my flight. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of my favorite movies and well I lived it on that trying to and eventually catching up to the boat.

Quote:
I want to make sure I get to certain New England towns this summer for fairs and just to sight see.

I want to have a climbing rose on a trellis--have always wanted this--and dh has just built the trellis! It's actually an arch and now we just need to buy the rose plant. You can see it from the kitchen window and I hope it attracts hummingbirds.

I want to keep visiting friends and family always.
Well since DH has built the trellis you now have to get to work and grow that rose.

Quote:
I'd like to get to Longwood Gardens and Winterthur in Delaware sometime. This has been going on forever and sooner or later I really will get there.

There is more, a lot more. I hope I get to do everything--
Never heard of Longwood but Delaware is awesome for crabcakes!

For me lots of travel. Scotland, England, Ireland are on the list as well as most of Western Europe and a great part of Asia. Alaska sounds great as a cruise to DW so I am certain that is on the list. I am going to visit all MLB ballparks and as many of the golf courses as I can. Cruise the Panama Canal and the Mediterranean are near the top of the list. One last thing is to follow the path laid out in Angels and Demons through Rome.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times
I would like to rent a large suv and travel across the US. With no time
constraints and do whatever happens along the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement