U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times

Advertisements

The elites (Bush and this corrupt administration) want to eliminate all SS. including disability, Medicare and anything else.

Then they want us to foot the bill, while we work. We will be expected pay for illegal free healthcare and ER visits, while we will have liens attached to our assets if we are hardworking US citizens. the "ownership society" rhetoric was bandied about by Bush last year- he couldnt push it through, but is still trying his d**nedest. And it has nothing to do with helping Americans.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-06-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The elites (Bush and this corrupt administration) want to eliminate all SS. including disability, Medicare and anything else.

Then they want us to foot the bill, while we work. We will be expected pay for illegal free healthcare and ER visits, while we will have liens attached to our assets if we are hardworking US citizens. the "ownership society" rhetoric was bandied about by Bush last year- he couldnt push it through, but is still trying his d**nedest. And it has nothing to do with helping Americans.
What?

Encouraging folks to shift from their SS insurance policies over to private retirement insurance, is not a conversation about eliminating SS. It is about encouraging folks to go to some other system of insurance policy if they want to.

There are folks talking about encouraging illegals getting free healthcare, but not the Republicans.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
They are all for keeping the borders open so business can pay paltry wages. Private retirement insurance? Please, thats like the ""HSA"" health savings acct- you take out 1,000.00 of your own money each week to save for when you need heart surgery at six figures.....I am very familiar with medical issues and costs. And I dont plan to spend my golden years paying cash to hospitals and worrying about liens on my real estate.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I would like to see a source for your position.

The Republicans controlled the presidency, house and congress and they didn't do this.....so this seems to indicate to me that you've been had.
Someone has done a good job scaring you into continuing to feel good about single party voting.

Seriously, how can your reconcile your position to the reality of them not doing anything when they had control of all 3?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would like to see a source for your position.

The Republicans controlled the presidency, house and congress and they didn't do this.....so this seems to indicate to me that you've been had.
Someone has done a good job scaring you into continuing to feel good about single party voting.

Seriously, how can your reconcile your position to the reality of them not doing anything when they had control of all 3?
Good point

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,869,863 times
Guilt serves no useful purpose. If you are feeling guilty about receiving SS @ age 62, let go of the guilt and enjoy receiving benefits from the system that you paid into for all of these years. YOU DESERVE IT!

Wealthy people like George Will who have no need for SS, should keep their big mouths shut on the subject of SS. Anyone who takes his opinion seriously, needs to find another expert to tell them how to think, or better yet, be your own expert.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 AM

When you pay into your private insurance policy, it is your money going into it.

You know that your money is mixed with other people's money and is invested somewhere. You know that the fund is governed and overseen by the government. You know that the company policies may change from year to year.

Yet you still pay into the insurance policy, year after year.

You have the option of 'opting out', but very few people ever opt-out, very few.

Most folks just have their policy number and they pay into their policy.

What planet's morals would imply that taking pay-outs from that policy, should involve 'guilt'?

I fail to understand why 'guilt' would be associated with taking a pension.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM

3,336 posts, read 12,640,659 times
I've paid into Social Security since 1963. I retired this year, so I will be taking my benefit at 62. Do I feel guilty? Absolutely not. I will take exactly what I am entitled to. No more. No less! As far as George Will. He's a guy that was born into a successful family. Went to the finest schools and university's and has had a very successful carrer. If George Will elects not to take his Social Security benefit that's fine (he probably can afford not to). As far as my situation, I'm counting on it.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Guilt serves no useful purpose. If you are feeling guilty about receiving SS @ age 62, let go of the guilt and enjoy receiving benefits from the system that you paid into for all of these years. YOU DESERVE IT!

Wealthy people like George Will who have no need for SS, should keep their big mouths shut on the subject of SS. Anyone who takes his opinion seriously, needs to find another expert to tell them how to think, or better yet, be your own expert.

blessings...Franco
I don't agree with his position on this topic but he is a US citizen, he paid into SS so your suggestion of a mean's based freedom of speech test is disheartening.

Seems we are wasting a lot of time here out of fear spread by people seeking to protect you from *something bad*. Next time you make fun of the "terror level" consider this discussion....both are classics.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,869,863 times
Mathguy wrote:
I don't agree with his position on this topic but he is a US citizen, he paid into SS so your suggestion of a mean's based freedom of speech test is disheartening.
Oh, I don't deny his right to freedom of speech. I even served a hitch in the air force to defend his and everyone elses right to freedom of speech. I basically like George Will. He is one of my favorite columnists. I've read some of his books for the entertainment value. As a longtime baseball fan, I especially enjoy his baseball writings. Nonetheless, I strongly prefer that he keep his mouth shut on the topic of SS. Although I view him mainly as an entertainer, many people see him as a sort of guru. In that regard, his opinions can be dangerous. If George Will says it, then it must be true!

In regard to you becomming disheartened about my suggestion.....It's not worth it. My opinion doesn't warrant getting disheartened over. I don't even take it too seriously myself and I hope you don't either.

Nowhere in my post that you quoted did I make fun of a "teror level", so I have no idea what you're talking about, and I hope you'll be kind enough to explain what you mean.

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or