U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM

419 posts, read 251,506 times
Default Is medicare considered insurance under Obamacare?

For insurance purpose and Obamacare I am assuming that Medicare qualifies for having insurance and the IRS who will be overseeing Obamacare knows this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM

18,595 posts, read 15,069,144 times
When they're not busy going after administration "enemies."

Medicare shoud qualify as would supplements.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM

13,484 posts, read 16,930,831 times
Yes. Medicare Part A only (Part B is not a requirement) is all that is necessary to qualify as 'Minimum Essential Coverage' under Obamacare.

A 2012 post from livecontent from whom we no longer hear. He/she did have serious health issues, so posted extensively on Obamacare, although his/her coverage was through a Kaiser Advantage in Denver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Well, it seems to me you are getting too obsessive over this issue which would be obviously considered health insurance. However, if you really want to get into detail, then you should read the whole Affordable Health Insurance Act, very slowly and thoroughly. I have done just that; and perhaps I am as obsessive as you, but I am more of a reason to understand it exactly.

This is the government website for this new law:
Home | HealthCare.gov

and specifically at this link for the Act:
Read the Law | HealthCare.gov

You need to read Title 1, Sub. F, PART 1, Sec. 1501. Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage. Now the specific citation that answers you question is located at:

Sec. 1501(f)(1)(A)(i):

‘‘(f) MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE.—For purposes of this section—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘minimum essential coverage’
means any of the following:
‘‘(A) GOVERNMENT SPONSORED PROGRAMS.—Coverage
under—
‘‘(i) the Medicare program under part A of title
XVIII of the Social Security Act

So there you are, a complicated answer to a simple question!

I have always found it helpful and necessary to go to the specific wording of an act or better the implemented Statute in the CFR to get what I want from the government.

.......... [snip]

Livecontent

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-17-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement