Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 AM

863 posts, read 795,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Do not drink. It's poison to the body! A waste of time and money...my personal opinion mind you!
I used to be a heavy drinker in my youth. Gave it up because I was headed to becoming an alcoholic, which runs in my family. Don't miss it at all.

I respect your opinion, but you would be in disagreement with the medical community that says one drink a day reduces your risk for heart attacks.

That old saying "everything in moderation"...food is good for us, essential even, too much food makes us look like Americans, and I am one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I have to say I do not see humor in drinking to much ether......I will never forget when I was in high school , there was an assembly we all were forced to attend . The theory was that humor would get our attention ,there was a comedian with a dummy ,everything was a joke I found Stuipd ,crude ,rude and insulting Not the way to impress discourage young people!
I never saw humor in Red Skelton's sad sack or Jackie Gleason ether. Glad those days are gone when it was in to make fun of drunks

Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I always found Dean Martin funny and Foster Brooks hilarious. Perhaps that's because I've been around almost 70 years and was raised in my parents era of cocktail parties and after work drinks. Those were societal norms. But it's not a bad thing that our generation is far less alcohol-centric.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I see no humor in people pickling their brains in alcohol. When things are really funny I see the humor in them.
Do not presume that everyone who drinks is pickling their brain or getting drunk any time they drink. Get over your 'holier than thou' attitude.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Two to three glasses of red wine per week at most. An occasional beer or two. That's it for me.

Not good for my triglycerides/HDL so I avoid overindulging in anything alcoholic.

Plan to be around for a while I hope.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I agree that there is a holier than thou attitude here but I guess that's expected given the subject matter. Me? Like a lot of people I drank a lot more when I was young. Right about 35 or so I discovered I was getting hangovers in the middle of the week. So that was a wake up call.

I decided to scale back and see if I could. If I couldn't then I had a hard decision to make. It was no problem. I still drink most days but as God is my witness I can count on one hand the number of times I've had more than 4 drinks in an evening over the past 25+ years. And that includes New Years Eve, camping trips and other "high drinking affairs". I am known in my circle as the King of Moderation. Now it's 2-3 drinks/ night and it varies between beer, wine, and a bourbon and coke or gin and tonic.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I always found Dean Martin funny and Foster Brooks hilarious. Perhaps that's because I've been around almost 70 years and was raised in my parents era of cocktail parties and after work drinks. Those were societal norms. But it's not a bad thing that our generation is far less alcohol-centric.

Foster Brooks roasts Don Rickles - YouTube

Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I remember a joke that Brooks told one time on the Steve Allen Show...it goes..."Me and my buddy were sittin home one afternoon drinkin and we decided to go ICE FISHING...when we got done, we took it home and fried it up, and we ALMOST DROWNED..!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
None. I drank enough when I was young and foolish. I quit sometime in the mid-to-late '90s - guess it didn't mean that much to me if I can't even remember what year I quit!

Honestly, I feel better, both physically and emotionally.

I have no problem with others drinking. We keep some beer on hand, and we'll pick up a bottle of wine if we're having company for dinner. I just don't drink any of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Wife drinks one glass of white wine daily, I drink one T&T just to keep her company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement