Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times

Advertisements

I know that there have been a huge number of articles and ideas on the best retirement location. The link is here but here is the actual article. What I thought was it was asked of people rather than just the author's idea of an ideal location. Another point that made me think this was a good idea was that many years ago I was sitting at the barber shop getting a hair cut, I picked up the Money Magazine on the coffee table there and read that they had selected Durango CO as the best place to retire. I believe this was 1990 or so and their reason was a lot of factors but weather was the number one.

Quote:
May 21, 2013 — The heck with what all the so called “experts” think with their fancy best places to retire lists – you’ve told us what’s most important – where YOU think those places are. So thanks to the more than 130 members who took the time to answer our recent survey – “Tell us where you think the best place to retire is, and why“. Your answers are always so rich with details and interesting reasons! It was fun to look at your choices and understand your reasons for selecting them.
We will do our best to summarize and make sense of the amazing data you so generously provided. While we should caution that 130 responses do not make for a statistically reliable sample. On the other hand, your rich comments do provide some deep insights and solid indications of regional preferences.
Conclusions
1. Best Regions. No surprise, the South and the West are by far considered to have better places to retire than the Northeast and Midwest. The South had 44 mentions, the West 43, and the Northeast and Midwest combined had 11.
2. Best States for retirement. The best states for retirement are (by number of mentions):
- Florida (19 mentions)
- Arizona (13)
- Colorado (9)
- South Carolina (7)
- Delaware (7)
Tennessee, Texas, Hawaii, and North Carolina all had at least 4 mentions. It is interesting that Delaware, clearly not a Sunbelt State, had so much interest. Low taxes and good location were cited as reasons for its popularity as a retirement spot. The fact that North Carolina didn’t rank higher was also curious.
3. Best cities and towns. The most frequently mentioned cities for retirement were:

Durango, CO, the surprising choice for most mentioned retirement city
- Durango, CO was the city you mentioned the most (5 mentions),
- Sarasota, Fort Myers, Southwest Florida in general, northern Arizona (Sedona, Prescott) all had multiple mentions
4. Reasons why these places are the “Best”. The reasons that make for a best place to retire are consistent with what we have seen in our other surveys (See Further Reading at end).
The most frequently mentioned reasons:
- Affordable homes
- Weather (sunshine, mild winters, low humidity, not too hot)
- Low taxes (income tax, sales tax, property tax, taxes on pensions and 401k distributions)
- Close to family
These items were also considered important:
- Natural beauty (mountains)
- Outdoor activities
- Beaches
- Plenty to do (parks, recreation)
- Culture (colleges, libraries)
- Good medical care
- Close to airports
- Lots to do
- Walkability
- Good shopping nearby

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 05-22-2013 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: add quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
While we should caution that 130 responses do not make for a statistically reliable sample.
Pretty much says it all...

I still think any individual can generate a far more useful list tailored to their own needs/desires using http://www.find your spot.com/ (for some reason CD won't allow this link, you'll have to search), Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, http://www.walkscore.com/, etc. and of course right here on city-data.com.

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
If you must retire TO somewhere, then go ahead and read these articles. But, how many people actually retire TO somewhere vs staying where they are, near their kids and grandkids, near their friends, support networks, doctors, familiarities, etc? It's probably less than 10% of retirees.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you must retire TO somewhere, then go ahead and read these articles. But, how many people actually retire TO somewhere vs staying where they are, near their kids and grandkids, near their friends, support networks, doctors, familiarities, etc? It's probably less than 10% of retirees.
I was very surprised, but I read an article in the past few months that said only 7% of retirees actually move, and only 1.6% move across state lines (so those who move, often don't go very far). We hope to move...but we've moved all our lives.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Those self-quiz things often say "good weather," without defining "good." I loathe humidity and places that have "good weather" in so many surveys are in the South and humid.
I personally love weather like Durango- high and dry, with four seasons. Of course, right now, they're on an extreme fire watch and of course I'm vacationing there in two weeks.
Once when I took a quiz, it said I should retire to Worcester, MA. *No one* should retire to Worcester, and anyway, I currently live 30 miles *from* Worcester.

All the walkable places- how likely are people to be able to afford housing within the cute/quaint walkable downtowns? Aren't most people still likely to have to drive to get to the walkable spot? Am I being too cynical about this?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Brightdoglover: No I think you are being practical and very sensible and I agree with your post.
After looking for the cute/quaint walkable downtown for myself, I am ready to give up and call it quits. I have found lots of them; none of them are affordable for me.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Does anyone besides me find these two statements inconsistent:

Best States for retirement. The best states for retirement are (by number of mentions):
- Florida (19 mentions)

Reasons why these places are the “Best”. The reasons that make for a best place to retire are consistent with what we have seen in our other surveys (See Further Reading at end).
- Affordable homes

Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Does anyone besides me find these two statements inconsistent:

Best States for retirement. The best states for retirement are (by number of mentions):
- Florida (19 mentions)

Reasons why these places are the “Best”. The reasons that make for a best place to retire are consistent with what we have seen in our other surveys (See Further Reading at end).
- Affordable homes

What? Are you saying that Florida is hot and humid?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yes.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement