U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-02-2007, 07:40 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 19,841,835 times
Reputation: 7499

Advertisements

I hear that Pennyslvania has no pension tax, does this include private 401k, annuities, and IRAs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM
 
Location: WA
5,398 posts, read 21,420,026 times
Reputation: 5908
Yes, as I understand it you get a pass on state tax. Have seen some that want to stay in that part of the country move there just to duck state tax on 401 distributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,392 posts, read 7,775,058 times
Reputation: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yes, as I understand it you get a pass on state tax. Have seen some that want to stay in that part of the country move there just to duck state tax on 401 distributions.
Thanks for the tip cdelena, I took a big pension buyout deal from a previous employer almost 10 years ago and rolled it into an IRA, which has gone up nicely in value over time. That is going to be a big chunk of my retirement income after age 60. I would guess that in the future more retirement income will come from IRA and 401K distributions than traditional pension payments from companies. Good to know that some states won't grab onto that money for taxes. That's a big reason why I'll leave CA in a few years when I decide to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:30 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 19,841,835 times
Reputation: 7499
But I also hear they have high property tax, so you might want to rent instead own if you want to escape as much tax as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 AM
 
Location: WA
5,398 posts, read 21,420,026 times
Reputation: 5908
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Thanks for the tip cdelena, I took a big pension buyout deal from a previous employer almost 10 years ago and rolled it into an IRA, which has gone up nicely in value over time. That is going to be a big chunk of my retirement income after age 60. I would guess that in the future more retirement income will come from IRA and 401K distributions than traditional pension payments from companies. Good to know that some states won't grab onto that money for taxes. That's a big reason why I'll leave CA in a few years when I decide to retire.
There are other states that do not tax distributions.

A strategy used by many that retire early is to use the period after full employment and before drawing social security to convert IRAs to Roth accounts. Since IRA and 401K accounts are subject to Minimum Required Distributions at age 70.5 you can be forced into a higher tax bracket in retirement with social security and required distributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,690,690 times
Reputation: 3808
PA exempts the total amount of Federal annuities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
 
29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Reputation: 11752
Default Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I hear that Pennyslvania has no pension tax, does this include private 401k, annuities, and IRAs??
Which states give retirees the best deal? - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/RetirementandWills/P45875.asp - broken link)

Rates the states for retirement taxation

Pennsylvania Property Taxes Are a Killer. Harrisburg was ranked last.
\
State Personal Income Taxes on Pensions and Retirement Income: TY 2007

Last edited by TuborgP; 11-06-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,689 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Reputation: 23831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
...A strategy used by many that retire early is to use the period after full employment and before drawing social security to convert IRAs to Roth accounts. Since IRA and 401K accounts are subject to Minimum Required Distributions at age 70.5 you can be forced into a higher tax bracket in retirement with social security and required distributions.
then there is the 'rumor / threat' that the tax free withdrawals of Roths will be 'withdrawn'... I hope not, but we can see how well the gov manages $$


It is nice there is now a provision to do tax-exempt contributions from your 'qualified' funds, I hope that stays, but it would have been nice to know 10yrs ago when we set up our family foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top