Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
This really hits home for me ... I took so much for granted when I was younger. I'm not yet retired (56) and probably won't be for another 10 years. I often wonder where I'll be physically by that time. After two back operations, I can't do a lot of things I use to do before the age of 51 (tennis, golf, snow skiing, bowling, planting and maintaining a garden). I try my best to keep myself healthy by walking daily, core-strengthening exercises, eating healthy, and watching my weight, but I'm still very limited in activities I once enjoyed, and feel much more tired out by the end of the day. In my work, I'm exposed to reports of patients of all ages with very serious health complications/challenges (especially young children and teenagers) and that has been the most helpful to me, to put things into perspective and feel grateful for what I do have. It's good to read these posts and everyone's suggestions and input ... thank you for starting this thread.
Thank you. I think sometimes we all focus in on one thing and look at life with blinders on, especially through tough times. Sometimes the stress of seeing all that suffering gets to me. I hate to see young adults so sick when most of it could be avoided. I'm sorry you've been through so much but you're doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I really liked the book by that rabbi "When Bad Things Happen to Good People." And it's usually good people to whom bad things happen. Open the news any day of the week and we can read all about it and just plain sigh.
Yes, that was a good book.

I know some of my thoughts and beliefs defy logic! I have a severe case of idealism. I can't watch/hear the news. It is too devastating for me.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I'm so glad you liked the pictures! I added them to my post in hopes they'd cheer you up a little.

I'm not very good about not getting my own way myself. I'll argue and talk myself blue, send off e-mails to every single member of the Colorado State Legislature and everything else I can think of to do. When all else fails, I break dishes!

I want to add more to the conversation, but I don't have the time right now. Will post more later.

Take care,
- Rambler
The pictures were uplifting and the story inspirational. Thank you.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I learned a LONG time ago that "being a good person" gives you no special magical powers. It does not protect you from dying a painful death from cancer. It does not keep you from being killed in a car accident where the other driver was at fault (along with a suspended license and no insurance). These are but two examples of what befell several "good persons" that were very important to me. I'm a little surprised that you didn't learn this lesson yourself over the years.

I don't believe that God or The Universe or The Powers That Be caused these things...stuff happens, and we must learn to deal with it. So deal with it or not...the choice is yours.
I have a persistent dream in magic.

I think some people have better coping skills than others. Not sure why, but some are more resilient. I have been told I am "strong," but in other ways, I know I am very weak. I don't have a life philosophy that ties everything up into a nice package. I have no idea why anything happens, not going to lie.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yeah. I don't know why I haven't learned this. I think it is just a stubborn, idealistic belief - tied to hope or something . . .
I'm not saying you shouldn't have hope...or that you shouldn't try to be optimistic. Without hope and optimism, life would be very dismal indeed. And I'm not saying that we shouldn't strive to be good people. It's just my opinion, from what I've seen over the years, that good and decent people have no particular "protection" from misfortune.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't have hope...or that you shouldn't try to be optimistic. Without hope and optimism, life would be very dismal indeed. And I'm not saying that we shouldn't strive to be good people. It's just my opinion, from what I've seen over the years, that good and decent people have no particular "protection" from misfortune.
I don't disagree with you, intellectually.

My "beliefs" are non-linear - not necessarily logical . . . there are a lot of factors that go into one's beliefs, and it's not easy to just dismiss them, even if they are illogical . . . if you are 100% logical, you might have difficulty understanding this.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Richard Bach said it best in his book, Illusions. "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."

Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Richard Bach said it best in his book, Illusions. "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."
Ok.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM

658 posts, read 1,554,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
When I was younger, I viewed any hardships as temporary - and because I was younger, I was able to shrug things off . . .

Fast forward to now (and I mean that literally) . . .

I had an expectation that "things would turn out ok," and I feel so frustrated that they didn't . . . and because I am older, I don't have the hope and resilience of youth.

I realize that it is my ego that gets all pissy, but I don't know what to do about it. I feel like I am having tantrums that things did not go my way and that I am not getting to do what I want.

I am tied down due to responsibilities but these are responsibilities I have chosen to take on - I just didn't understand when I was taking them on, what the cost would be to me - but if I had known, I probably would have done the same thing.

I am resentful that I am not getting to do what I want - and I know I have unconscious beliefs that "in retirement" you "should" get to do what you want - therefore, when I am facing unpleasant circumstances I get all bent out of shape (internally).

I don't know what to do about this short of hypnosis.

I think part of me is angry at God because I feel that I am "special" and should not have to suffer "at my age" (which I understand is just ridiculous, but these feelings are irrational - they just "are").

I am extremely exhausted and burnt out . . .

Today I traced my bad mood back to the fact that I had to do too much work . . . it feels like the work is "never-ending."

Can anyone relate?

Or are you all living perfectly blissful retirements?
no life sucks you are not alone.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM

I think the part related to age is that I have just run out of reserves. It feels like I can't take "one more thing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement