U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:08 AM

238 posts, read 1,040,428 times

Advertisements

So many people I know who are retired went kicking and screaming. They did not want to retire so early and felt that they had at least 10 more productive years left to work full time. But their employers and society sent them out to pasture. They tried to get another job but were constantly rejected for younger less qualified candidates. The final result is alot of bitterness and a retirement nest egg that is smaller than planned.

When you retired we were happy or sad (was it your choice or societies)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
my choice was simple... job had been shipped overseas (after having someone from India and one for SE Asia sit next to me for 1 yr to learn my job...)

so... MY CHOICE... stay and apply for a position (of which there were none, and lots of young buckaroos with families to support needing few remaining jobs)

or

leave and get 'retraining' (2yrs unemployment + subsidized College)
It was not pleasant to leave 32yr career of oversea assignments, benefits, pension, vacation, and some highly professional co-workers, but... new chapter, just bite the bullet and hope you don't get sick. With poor family history for avoiding long - terminal illnesses, we're treading on thin ice. But those who stayed in company are spinning their wheels and under the threat of no job next week, and no severance AND no re-training (for 3 yrs now).

There are worse things than the loss of a job. And unfortunately it will be impossible to get same income, benefits and 'gravy-train' work as before. Just need to move - on. We're still eating, and also just paid our $5,500 property tax bill for 1/2 yr...(equivalent to 5yrs groceries or utilities...)

Next step (while finishing grad school) - find a cheaper place to live with similar awesome, uninterrupted, 50+ miles view, and very quiet, yet 25 min to an international airport .

We have so many interests / volunteer activities, that work is the furthest thing from our desires, so we're gonna mellow out and get by very cheap for the next 40 yrs. (barring health difficulties) It helps to drive a 30yr old car that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease, but $33/ day for property taxes !!!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
I was put out on pension due to my age; actually the phrase is "High year tenure".

I had been employed for too long.

Had I advanced one pay-grade higher then I could have continued working for another two years. Had I been able to have advanced two pay grades then I could have continued working for another four years.

However in the military, if you have only advanced up to the pay grade of E-6, then at 20 years you are simply too old to continue in uniform.

So we are forced through "High year tenure" to go on pension.

I do not think it had anything to do with the 'market' though.

I have had other job offers since going on pension. Though with my pension and my various investment incomes, I do not require seeking further employment to enable us to support our family.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
my choice was simple... job had been shipped overseas (after having someone from India and one for SE Asia sit next to me for 1 yr to learn my job...)

so... MY CHOICE... stay and apply for a position (of which there were none, and lots of young buckaroos with families to support needing few remaining jobs)

or

leave and get 'retraining' (2yrs unemployment + subsidized College)
It was not pleasant to leave 32yr career of oversea assignments, benefits, pension, vacation, and some highly professional co-workers, but... new chapter, just bite the bullet and hope you don't get sick. With poor family history for avoiding long - terminal illnesses, we're treading on thin ice. But those who stayed in company are spinning their wheels and under the threat of no job next week, and no severance AND no re-training (for 3 yrs now).

There are worse things than the loss of a job. And unfortunately it will be impossible to get same income, benefits and 'gravy-train' work as before. Just need to move - on. We're still eating, and also just paid our $5,500 property tax bill for 1/2 yr...(equivalent to 5yrs groceries or utilities...)

Next step (while finishing grad school) - find a cheaper place to live with similar awesome, uninterrupted, 50+ miles view, and very quiet, yet 25 min to an international airport .

We have so many interests / volunteer activities, that work is the furthest thing from our desires, so we're gonna mellow out and get by very cheap for the next 40 yrs. (barring health difficulties) It helps to drive a 30yr old car that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease, but $33/ day for property taxes !!!
Yet another TDI owner! I have 2 of them.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I have co-workers in their 50s-60s who could not get another job in their field after being laid off (software guy, industrial sales). They can come back to the psychiatric hospital and work as assistants for much less pay, but get health benefits and the old-fashioned pension plan if there over five years. One former lawyer just quit the assistant job to go to another assistant job for more money.
There are a lot of late-in-life RNs in psychiatric, anyway, that I've met- laid off from the phone company, ex-military, all sorts of backgrounds. Basically tired of being laid off.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
I worked for a company for 21 years, the year I turned 60, they offered all of us olde timers who had 20 years and were 60 or over a retirement pkg. One time offer, take it or you could stay as long as you did your job.
I had lost my husband the year before and I didn't want to sit around waiting for them to make up some excuse to get rid of me.
I took it.. I get my LH's SS and retirement plus health ins (I pay the company for but it is the same amount as ppl who work there pay) and haven't looked back.
Would I have stayed if that hadn't happened? Yes, of course, the money was good and I loved my job. I thought about getting another job but no one would hire me for what I was making and I felt I needed some time to find myself after all my loses.

Am I sorry I left? NO as the ppl who stayed are always worrying about their jobs going to India or being laid off due to consolidation of jobs. Many have had to bid on the jobs they have been doing for years..

They had another 'get the ole timers out' this year.

I moved to a small safe town, bought a house from the proceeds of selling my house in FL, property taxes are low and HOI is reasonable.

I am not rich by any means but I make it month to month and I am happy so I guess they did me a favor..

Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yet another TDI owner! I have 2 of them.
Sorry but what is TDI?

Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,139,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
So many people I know who are retired went kicking and screaming. They did not want to retire so early and felt that they had at least 10 more productive years left to work full time. But their employers and society sent them out to pasture. They tried to get another job but were constantly rejected for younger less qualified candidates. The final result is alot of bitterness and a retirement nest egg that is smaller than planned.

When you retired we were happy or sad (was it your choice or societies)?
When I retire in 2009, it will be my own choice. Actually, if I was let go before then I would regard it as a favor, but that is not going to happen. That is because I work for the federal government.

After I retire, I seriously doubt that I could change my mind and get another, similar job. So, I am planning on never working again. That will be great. I will be able to sleep in every day, if I want to.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Sorry but what is TDI?
a car

the later (post 1995) version of VW diesel - A bit of a 'cult-ish' thing for us who have been getting 50 mpg for 30 yrs... (I live in Prius territory - PNW) My goal is to make a 75 mpg VW diesel, so I can do better than the Honda Insight, and still haul 4-5 people. We get our 50 mpg @ 70 mph, unlike the Prius that does best in city traffic. I don't do 'stop-lights' so spend very little time in towns. (Wyoming bound )

I have a couple TDI's too, really like the 20 MPG tank and 1000 miles between fill-ups, especially when 'home-brewing' fuel (from waste cooking oil). But most my fleet is the older IDI's (noisy and underpowered, but VERY cheap to buy, ($35.00) and fix), tho I've never been 'stranded' in one, even tho some have over 500,000 miles.

It was a real plus when my job was 'outsourced' to have a low budget way to retire 'pre-50'. But is is tough to reduce your expenses when you have been living lean for 30 + yrs. Hopefully the austerity program has led to increased savings....

Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM

414 posts, read 1,469,475 times
Not our choice. In retrospect, they did us a favor as the stock we cashed in is no longer as valuable as it was when he was pushed out the door. We also sold our house at an advantageous price at an advantageous time, before the bottom fell out of the housing market. So, it turns out to have been good. It didn't feel like it at the time. And NO ONE wants to hire older people, so the fantasy of telling older people to wait longer before filing for SS is a myth. No workee, no money, so we filed for SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or