Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,503,961 times

Advertisements

I've found out from a person that been all over the world and works for U.S. government that the country Singapore has excellent health care for people that are on Social Security and on fixed income. He says the health care system here in U.S. is a joke because of the cost of health care is so high. He says Singapore welcomes people from all over the world. Now I thinking about going to Singapore for cheap excellent health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,382 times
They are very cost efficient. They only spend something like 3-5% of GDP on HC while the US spends about 18%.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 6,820,968 times
Singapore doesn't have US style Social Security system where you get a check from the government every month. They have a program called CPF which is something like the private employer 401 K programs here. It really isn't enough for most people to retire on. A lot of people can't retire and continue to work at jobs like cleaning tables at food courts or driving cabs into their 70's.

There is also no health care program in Singapore like our Medicare system. You buy coverage from private health insurers and it is expensive. Older people often rely on their children to help with medical bills and general living expenses.

Last edited by msgsing; 05-25-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,871,119 times
There is a poster (user name: Geologic) who lives in Sinapore and who posts, or at least used to post, in the Urban Planning Forum. I would suggest sending a direct message to him (or her?) to ask for information.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:45 AM

9 posts, read 33,038 times
Yes I 100% agreed that Singapore is good in Heath care system .

Singapore is well known with its advance medical technologies , Japan 's famous ARKRAY,global leader in the development of medical diagnostic systems such as diabetes monitoring devices also setup research centre here.

In term of cost I believe still cheaper compare with US. I got client came to meet dentist annually after attended the meeting.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 AM

813 posts, read 1,130,978 times
I imagine it would be cheaper and better than the USA. The rub for me is that you have to pay $130,000.00 for the Honda accord you will need to drive to all your doctor appointments

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM

422 posts, read 1,471,682 times
Healthcare is good and more affordable in Singapore than US. Yes, there's no social security system but we have got something called Central Provident Fund. Employee contributes 20% of their monthly salary to CPF and employer tops up with another 16% (the numbers vary slightly with age). And of the entire sum, roughly 7% goes to an account called Medisave which grows at 4%pa and which could be used to pay for certain medical bills as well as purchase medisave-approved insurance. Most medical insurance only covers hospitalisation/surgical bills and not GP visits/outpatient/annual medical checks etc. So the premiums are very affordable. Just to give u an example, for me, I pay like a couple hundred dollars PER YEAR for my hospitalisation/surgical coverage but in the states, I pay like few hundred dollars A MONTH and that's with employer subsidy (otherwise it would be over a thousand a month).

Having said all that, most of these privileges are only available to citizens and PRs. Foreigners also don't enjoy as much medical subsidies like the locals do....so the medical bills tend to be bigger. However, I won't be surprised that even with the larger bills for foreigners, it could still be less expensive than in the states.

There are pros and cons. Cost of living is high in SG...maybe medical cost might be lower than states. Quality of healthcare services are good though.

Actually there are many countries like Thailand that provide good and even less expensive healthcare services. I do see people from SG heading to Thailand for surgeries.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM

This person said the cost of dental implants is much cheaper in countrys overseas then here in U.S. He got a full set of teeth uppers and lower teeth for 3000.00 compared to here in U.S. for 50,000. Dental service in these counties are just like here in the states which are clean and safe. My family dentist wants 1500.00 per tooth for a implant.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,471,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This person said the cost of dental implants is much cheaper in countrys overseas then here in U.S. He got a full set of teeth uppers and lower teeth for 3000.00 compared to here in U.S. for 50,000. Dental service in these counties are just like here in the states which are clean and safe. My family dentist wants 1500.00 per tooth for a implant.
Dental is cheaper. But note that there really isn't any dental insurance in SG.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM

What I'm saying is paying 3000 U.S. dollars overseas is way cheaper then 50,000 for dental work here in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement