U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times

Advertisements

Now that we have so much insulation in place, we should never see high heat bills again.

Next summer we hope to get the porch and garage put on.

I just had to re-register our vehicles, they charged me $20 for my Buick, $23 for my DW's Saab, $5 for my Willy, and $5 for my Goldwing. I guess that $53 a year is not too bad, but still I wish it were less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Last winter cost us on average $500/month to heat through the winter. We began the winter with no insulation. And during the course of the winter, I was spraying foam insulation onto the roof and walls, and hanging 9 inches of fiberglass batting. We started with R-0 and just as the last of the snow melted we finished with R-40.

We used a combination of kerosene and propane to heat last winter.

Now my stove is in place, as is our radiant floor system. I do not know how much our heating bill is going to be this winter.

We have lived in Maine for two+ winters. Our first winter, we rented an apartment, while I was building the house. The second winter we lived in the house [uninsulated].

Generally once a week, a storm blows through. Each time they call for 8 to 12 inches of snow. We normally get 3 to 4 inches. By 8 am the roads are cleared. usually by mid-morning the day after the storm it is sunny and clear again.

Last winter we did get one snow storm with a foot of snow. For that storm, we did use the snow shovels and we cleared snow for a few hours.

Our driveway is 300 foot long by 40 foot wide, straight and level. The site-work contractor owns four stone quarries, he brought in hundreds of truckloads of stone-crusher dust to make our driveway. They dumped it three foot tall by 40 foot wide and packed it down. So our driveway is well above the surrounding forest soil level. The propane delivery trucks do not like driving on ice, if they can not see the ditches, so they ask us to clear our driveway 12 foot wide before they come out.

Normally for us, I drive our cars up and down the driveway a dozen times, to pack down the snow and to make ice tire tracks. And for our cars it is fine. But this track is not wide enough for the propane delivery trucks. So every other week, during a sunny day, I go out with our snow-thrower, and I widen the cleared path out to 12 foot wide, so that the propane truck driver can see it is cleared wide for him.

Most storms that blow through dump their snow and are gone, and we have five to six days of sunny alternating with cloudy, before the next storm blows through.

The snow out in our forest does pile-up a bit, it seems to pile-up to about two foot deep at most. If no livestock are wandering through it. If the snow is left alone with nobody walking in it, it gets the thickest.

Here is during a snow storm, sitting on the road, looking down our driveway, you can see our motorhome 100foot down the driveway, and our house another 200foot beyond that.

Here are our goats following me around the day after last winter's biggest storm:

Our driveway, we had used the snow-thrower to clear the driveway:

Still following me:

This is the most that it ever piled-up on the sides of our driveway last winter.
You seem so happy there. I am glad you found a place you seem so much at peace.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
Forest Beekeeper, thanks for sharing the photos. I've been to Maine several times on vacation when I lived in NJ in the early 1990s. Went to Bangor one time, which is not far from your place and spent a lot of time in Belfast - what a great little town. I like your goats, they are one of my favorite animals for rural homes, very friendly, entertaining and good milk too.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times
Forest beekeeper I enjoyed your pictures very much. I have wondered about Maine. It looks like the amount of snow you get is something that is livable. We did sometimes get that much snow when I lived in eastern Oregon. People get used to it. Here on the coast we don't get snow but it's pretty to look at.

Love the pics of the goats following you. Maybe they are looking for a heater to keep warm.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
You seem so happy there. I am glad you found a place you seem so much at peace.
Thank you, we retirees do need to find a place for ourselves where we can finally be at 'peace'.

Even after this much time, I am still amazed at the low property taxes too.

After having owned homes in California, Washington, Scotland and Connecticut; where everything is expensive. This is great

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Forest Beekeeper, thanks for sharing the photos. I've been to Maine several times on vacation when I lived in NJ in the early 1990s. Went to Bangor one time, which is not far from your place and spent a lot of time in Belfast - what a great little town. I like your goats, they are one of my favorite animals for rural homes, very friendly, entertaining and good milk too.
You are welcome, that camera was really bad; we have a better one now.

Belfast is a wonderful little town, we like visiting there.

Bangor is much closer to us, my DW commutes into Bangor, she works on the Air Force base part-time. It has the hospitals and shopping, colleges and theater.

A depressed economy is not the best thing for working families wanting high paying jobs, but for retirees like us with pensions, or who only want part-time work to keep us active, the economy is great.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Forest beekeeper I enjoyed your pictures very much. I have wondered about Maine. It looks like the amount of snow you get is something that is livable. We did sometimes get that much snow when I lived in eastern Oregon. People get used to it. Here on the coast we don't get snow but it's pretty to look at.

Love the pics of the goats following you. Maybe they are looking for a heater to keep warm.
LOL

Goats do not like to hop through 'deep' snow, they like to follow a broken trail, but really they just look for someone to pet them or feed. With snow on the ground they will still browse on the tree limbs, but they want to follow someone else' path to get from tree to tree.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:52 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
After writing my $5400 check for 6 month's property taxes (which represents ~ 5 years groceries or electricity and 15 yrs of auto insurance), I am on a quest for a lower cost of living in a desirable climate (non-muggy / cool nights). PNW or mountain states preferred, no central or south central US.

Wow. And I thought that my Long Island taxes were bad ($3100 a year , but for a small townhouse ) . Let me know when you find a place that fits those criteria . THey are mine , too. No snow is an additional one (good public transportation would be mice, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or