U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

After writing my $5400 check for 6 month's property taxes (which represents ~ 5 years groceries or electricity and 15 yrs of auto insurance), I am on a quest for a lower cost of living in a desirable climate (non-muggy / cool nights). PNW or mountain states preferred, no central or south central US.

Looking for a low tax burden state when having little or no income, and a low budget for purchasing.

This site Taxes by State still factors income, and likely includes the idea that you will be purchasing $x,xxx.xx / yr.

The other site... CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate
gives particulars of each state, but you would have to calculate each location.

Any hints for a site that might let you plug in your income and expected spending and home value and get a reply of state rates? Any advice or recommendations on sites welcomed. Maine sounds good!! and I hope to have a place there as well (but rented out most of the time).

We usually have 5-50acres and a shop and barns, house can be small, gardening and view preferred, within 50 miles of Intl airport and even closer to a Community College or U. An available 50M swimming pool for laps would be of particular interest to 1/2 of 'us'

The alternative is to buy commercial props and rent them triple net (occupants pay the tax) then we would live off the income and rent a place as home... but $33/day for property taxes That can't go on too long, you have to eat!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
I would love to find a site like that too. All the ones I've found (including the ones you found) fail to take into account MD's local income tax so I don't trust them when it comes to other states that I don't know about.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
I am curious if you are on a large parcel of land right now. $10K a year in taxes seems outrageous. We looked in WA and found some locations around Tacoma and Gig Harbour to be about the same as Phoenix, a tad higher. Are the realtors lying to us? I loved WA but will look elsewhere if need be. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 PM

30,672 posts, read 49,423,020 times
I bought 42 acres of forest land in Maine. It has 1/4 mile of riverfrontage on the Penobscot river, and very well maintained public road access. Municipal water, power, phone and DSL.

Our creek:

Our riverfrontage:

I paid $950/acre for this land in 2005, and we are building a new home for my family on this land. We have lived in our new house for one winter so far.

For anyone who cares to fish or hunt this area is very nice. Skiing [both water skiing in the summer, and snow skiing in the winter] is available near by.

I pay $1.05 per acre in property taxes.

With my pension income and my investments income, and my DW's part-time income from working in a grocery store; we earn a low enough income that we do not pay income taxes.

Last year my property taxes here were $42, and we paid no income taxes.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:48 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
The Maine property is gorgeous.
I'd be concerned about access to medical care and cost of transport- I imagine a reliable car is absolutely necessary.
Maine is wonderful, especially if you have some company.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
I hadn't realized how high property taxes were in the state of Washington. We on Long Island are led to believe that ours are the highest in the country.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM

30,672 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Maine property is gorgeous. I'd be concerned about access to medical care and cost of transport- I imagine a reliable car is absolutely necessary. Maine is wonderful, especially if you have some company.
Bangor has two nice hospitals; St Josephs and EMMC.

EMMC is a teaching hospital, so it has much more staff and much more modern equipment.

My DW drove herself to St Josephs during her last heart attack. A day later they transported her over to EMMC for all of the testing. She likes them.

I guess that a 'reliable' car is needed. I am not sure though of where in the US that you would desire an 'unreliable' car.

If you drive to work in the early mornings, then you may have to contend with cold weather starting.

I am a retiree, I find it hard to think of a reason to leave the house that early in the morning. On the days that I desire to go somewhere, I can warm-up my car before I go out.

Some folks have garages, so that is not needed. And other folks have the engine block heaters, so that you can plug in your car and keep it's engine warm. I do have an engine block heater, though I have never plugged it in.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I am curious if you are on a large parcel of land right now. $10K a year in taxes seems outrageous. We looked in WA and found some locations around Tacoma and Gig Harbour to be about the same as Phoenix, a tad higher. Are the realtors lying to us? I loved WA but will look elsewhere if need be. Thanks.
I have (2) 6 acre parcels next to each other. (one with a TRASHED mobile home, but a good well)

total cost basis = ~$70k + $121k for our home building costs
assessed tax value = $760k (due to very aggressive assessor, and equally excessive property speculators)

Mil Rate = $14.50 / Thousand - down the road ~ 0.5 mile rate is $8.50 with a less aggressive assessor
Tax = ~ $11,000 / yr

WA requires properties to be taxed on 100% of fair Market value, and it is very hard to fight over assessment on residences (Commercial, not so hard). Mil Rates vary significantly, generally ~ $10/ $1,000 of value, but be advised, they can also change, as many areas are facing a lose of timber $$ and current ballot measure is slated to remove Super Majority requirement for school bonds

Just shop diligently, always inquiring of specific Mil Rate AND calculating taxes on purchase price, not on previous taxes (which may be in a 'senior deferral'). Income Tax free WA looses its luster when your income drops to Zero, The state has to generate revenue some how, and since I don't buy much, 8% ST) they nail me on B&O (Business). Personal Property (business). and property tax.

My multi-state spreadsheet indicates it is ok to stay in a high Prop Tax area, IF your property continues to appreciate enough to offset taxes, But... it does create a cash flow problem, as it is a 'sunk' cost.

BTW, I do only have 2 TDI's (only 10 yr's old), but over 20 IDI's.... Rabbits, Golfs, Jetta's, pickups... They cost me $35.00 each at the 'abandoned vehicle auctions.

I love the 52 Mpg and 20 gal tanks on the TDI's, but it is a long ways between bathroom breaks ~ 1000 miles (I don't do 'coffee')

Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
What is your multi-state spreadsheet? Is it available or something you made up for yourself?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM

just something I whipped up, with calculations for the following: Its a Bit subjective, as you need to enter data based upon what you find applicable to locations (Housing and utility costs, tax rates, equity growth rates, whether groceries are taxed, commute needs (medical / job)...).

This is just one of 12 worksheets within my 'relocation' spreadsheet, as I have weather, (winds, sun and rain) available entertainment options (a public lap pool for me! regional travel and volunteer options, proximity to international airport...),

- as an example... this costing exercise indicated it was more beneficial (based on expenses / costs) to stay in our TAX expensive location with high future equity growth, than to move to Kansas in a remote community and get some sunshine and fresh air ... much to the relief of my spouse ... (who is not a prairie kid). So this does not tell the whole story (Like how nice it would be to NOT have 281 days of rain, if you ARE (/ were) a prairie kid).

COSTS IN NEW LOCATION - Based on current or most desired location as a Benchmark
location choice1 2 3 4 5 ....
Housing
cost
taxes
utilities
Living
income tax

groceries
entertainment
recreation
goods

commute
travel

sub

sales taxable
Sales tax
sub2
Income
Jobs
Equity Growth
rents
deductions
taxable income

Annual Costs
Capital Costs
equity growth
effective CoC

Mobility Factor

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-04-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or