Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times

Advertisements

In Seattle, there were The Bon Marche, Fredrick & Nelson and Nordstrom's, before it became a chain. J.C. Penney's and Sears were the chain stores. Except for Nordstrom's, all are gone, having been bought out or downsized their downtown presence. Woolworth's was the big drugstore/sundries store with a lunch counter, which I also closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Chicago - Marshall Field and Carson Pirie Scott (both downtown; both sadly gone). They competed with each other to display wonderful Christmas windows. And a lunchtime wander through Fields, when I worked downtown, was often a nice part of my day. There was also a quite large Goldblatt's (lower-priced stuff) downtown that was fun to visit.

Minneapolis - a huge 4-story Sears that was within walking distance of grandma's house. We never visited her at Christmas time, though - I imagine the toy department would have been heaven. We consoled ourselves with the huge Christmas catalog ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Oh I love Woolworths "Pick a Balloon". We had a Kresge's too. Lewiston Maine
The State Street Marshall Field's (Chicago) toy department a child's dream. MF motto "The customer
always comes first."
Sadly the historic Carson Pirie Scott on State (a competitor of Fields) is closed, however there are a few stores "Carsons" which are a fragment of what used to be.
Woolworths, Kresge's, Goldblatts, Montgomery Wards and Wieboldt's.

Chicago - Carson Pirie Scott and Company Building - a photo on Flickriver

Marshall Field's Memories - Monette Bebow-Reinhard

Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
In Maryland: Kleins, Hecht Co (May co), Wards, W.T. Grants (gave me my very first credit card at 16!).
Grant's me too!! Remember the smell of the roasting nuts as
you walked in the front door.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
/boston area Webber's Almy's and Filene's/ Miss Woolworth's and their banana splits. Pick a balloon
break it and pay that price!!
Yup I remember the balloon thing, for me for true Department stores it was Cherry and Web in New Bedford, and for others Kresgee's for best Tuna sandwich and Chocklate Milk shake.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Actually, many of the stores mentioned were "dime stores", as distinct from "department stores". Dime stores were usually on a single floor, in a downtown storefront, and sold relatively small items. Some of the big dime store chains were McCrory's, W. T. Grant, Woolworth, and Kresge, which was the predecessor to K-Mart. By contrast, the department stores occupied a whole city block, with elevators to upper floors, in large cities. A third category was led by Sears and Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward, which established in cities too small to have a large department store, and offered much of their stock by catalog order, with only smaller popular items in stock. But were still, in smaller towns, the biggest store in town.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Riches - in Atlanta

Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Philly: Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels, Lit Brothers, Korvettes, Woolworth's, Kresge's

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkrow160 View Post
Philadelphia-Strawbridge & Clothier, B.Altman, Sterns, Lord and Taylor, Boscov's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Philly: Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels, Lit Brothers, Korvettes, Woolworth's, Kresge's
Why no mention of Wanamaker's (now known as Macy's)? Their downtown Philly store came immediately to my mind when I began to read this thread. I still try to get down there during the holidays, if possible, to see their Christmas Light Show.

Friends of the Wanamaker Organ

Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Why no mention of Wanamaker's (now known as Macy's)? Their downtown Philly store came immediately to my mind when I began to read this thread. I still try to get down there during the holidays, if possible, to see their Christmas Light Show.

Friends of the Wanamaker Organ
I can't believe that I forgot Wannamakers: Meet me at the Eagle!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Riches - in Atlanta
And Belk's, or Belk-Gallant. These were huge in the 60's.

I remember the Denver Dry Goods store in Denver in the mid-80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement