Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
she suggested an enema (the old-fashined kind from a bag and hose, with glycerine added) before downing the GoLytely. Sure enough, by the time l'd put down less than a third of the stuff, I was passing nothing but clear water, except for a little bit of liver bile.
The last two times around, I''ve declined all sedation in return for the opportunity to drive myself home.
No no but hell not, no enemas for me, ever! Have no idea nor any inclination how to recognize liver bile. Being a baby boomer, I'm always reluctant to decline sedation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It was much ado about nothing. All the talk about the unpleasantness of the colonoscopy was really overstated.

There are a lot of medical procedures that are a LOT more unpleasant.
I've heard that cancer is unpleasant.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Being a baby boomer, I'm always reluctant to decline sedation.
Hopefully, the medical profession is more sensitized to the public's feelings than was once the case. I went through major surgery and some time in a body cast at a relatively early age, but very little in the 48 years since final discharge. I can recall that IV via the wrist was no fun, and I've heard that bone marrow work is about as bad as it gets. But it was also my experience that if you weren't squeamish about everything, you were more likely to be heard when you did raise serious concerns; just my two cents.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-04-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,930 times
Default Thank you for the Dave Barry link...

The humor was much appreciated!

I went through my first (and second) at age 51 for an overall physical for work... uh-huh... How do we put this delicately? Apparently my brother is right - I AM "Full of S**T", because after doing the horrendous Miralax route, nope... not clean enough... (SERIOUSLY????) and they did not find out till AFTER they tried the procedure... So I had to reschedule for a month later and go through the prep (much stronger!!!) all over again... which DID work. My brother apparently was ALSO right about me being a "Pain in the A**", because I had an ulcer in my colon. Again, huh? How the heck can you get an ulcer in your butt???? All else was well, thankfully - and you are right it is a huge relief to know that for a fact. (Don't ya HATE it when your brother is right, tho????)

I was told I'd need a follow-up next year... dreading the prep, but everyone is right that the procedure itself is not even worth a mention. This time I'm going to stop eating a couple weeks prior... that's gotta help SOME!!! Might even try the vodka route addition (not so much a fan of gin) ...good tip... can't hurt, right?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
No colon cancer in my family, in fact no cancer at all that was not directly related to lifestyle. (My dad was a chain smoker who died at 73 from bladder cancer.) So I'm 60 and have never had one and have no intention of having one. I keep doctors away from me as much as possible. But I'm also very healthy for my age.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Colon cancer. Scary. Been there, done that. I've had five scopes. First one - polyps. Second one - nothing. So why was I feeling so crappy for almost two years?

When my hemoglobin level reached 7.2, and I could barely walk from the living room to the kitchen without a rest in the dining room, I was hospitalized and after two blood transfsions, I was scoped again. They found a tumor the size of a small canteloupe in there. (Surgeon said and extremely aggressive form of cancer). Four days later, I was in surgery and had the tumor, and a third of my colon, removed. No colostomy. Chemo for six months. If anyone thinks this is going to be preferable to eating nothing and drinking a gallon of "vile-tasting" liquid, and spending an evening in the bathroom, you can be my guest. As for me, I'll take the prep, TYVM

One year later, a scope. Couple of polyps. Three years later, no polyps. And now I don't have to return for five years. My tumor marker blood test result was 1.9 (5.0 or less is a good number) This is all good news, but you still sleep with one eye open.

Now, this being America, we're all free to do as we like. Scope, no scope, it's up to the individual. But if you're willing to forego a few hours of prep in favor of months, or even years, of medical treatment; to having more people poking and probing your anatomy(I think the guy who buffed the floors in the hospital got a good look,); it's your choice. Having experienced cancer first...er, first hand, I know which one I'm choosing.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Seems like you did everything right as far as colonoscopies and still got cancer. Sorry to hear this, btw but happy to hear you've been cleared for 5 years.

I know a few too many scary stories, my husband's story, posted earlier, and a friend who two months after her colonoscopy developed a pimple on her abdomen that signified an internal infection from an invasive procedure. She had to be opened several times to clear the infection and spent months on a suction device. I have a tooth that was chipped via endoscopy that needs to be recoated every year, minor but a nuisance for the rest of my life.

I will have another colonoscopy but I will ask questions. My husband now demands that they use a pedicatric scope because of his previous surgery. I will ask about infection rate, how many the doctor performs each year, and I will watch myself afterwards for any sign of infection or perforation.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

. But if you're willing to forego a few hours of prep in favor of months, or even years, of medical treatment; to having more people poking and probing your anatomy(I think the guy who buffed the floors in the hospital got a good look,); it's your choice. Having experienced cancer first...er, first hand, I know which one I'm choosing.
Please don't think the decision not to have certain "standard" medical procedures is based on such minor inconveniences .
Perhaps that is true for some people but I gather most of us have much more considered reasons.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
what some people are not aware of is the large number of deaths and injuries that are a direct result of medical treatment, not a disease itself. MRSA and a bunch of nasty things can be picked up as a result of surgery or a procedure. I have a friend who died years ago because of blood clots after a surgery. Lots of people don't know there is a high risk of blood clots after any operation on your bones. Part of what is going on now is that they are working hard to reduce the length of stay in the hospital partially because of the problem of picking up infections as a result of surgery or procedures. Just a hint, make sure the doctors and nurses working on you wash their hands. That's how this stuff gets spread around.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Just had my first colonoscopy and I literally didn't feel a thing and don't have to go back for ten years. My prayers go out for those who are too foolish to get screened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement