U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,883,108 times

Advertisements

nancy thereader wrote:
Well, Franco... I see photos of your area almost everyday because of my brother. I must admit the light and the cadence in his photos make GJ look positively ethereal . So much open space. We all are sort of pushed together here on Long Island.
I'll paste a link to some Photos of Grand Junction (http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/media/photo_lib.cfm - broken link) and another link to more photos of Grand Junction.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,077 times
Ok now I have 137 to go, things a starting to get a bit more exciting as the days go on. We realized that we have a great deal to do, with our first meeting with the retirement folks this Friday will give us an idea as what we need to do and how much extra we will have to pull from our investments.

I just hope that my house sells as planned to our buddy, that would be the only real challenge with our retirement date or at least the time that I retire as I will be quiting my job in order to retire with my husband and as long as the house sells I'm there.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
Well, tressa. It you have 137 , then I have 165. At least we're in the one-hundreds. And, then will come the double digits & after that , the single digits & then, taa daa.

Getting through the winter , though, that is not easy .

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

5,441 posts, read 10,527,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, tressa. It you have 137 , then I have 165. At least we're in the one-hundreds. And, then will come the double digits & after that , the single digits & then, taa daa.

Getting through the winter , though, that is not easy .
Ladies your making me jealous as I have 198 to go. Lets have a party.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Call it I will be willing to celebrate, although the market is scaring me a bit. We're not counting on the market for our retirement but we hate to see our nest egg disappear.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Maybe by then, it'll be better news. It is an election year, after all.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,832,670 times
I suspect we'll have a rough year or so to get through first. But it's just a bumpy ride, not really a reason to change your plans (IMO).

Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Oh no not changing any plans at all, we are down to 128 days and can't wait. We will have a State pension to draw on so the savings can stay where it's at.

My biggest concern is my house, DH continues to hold off on putting it up for sale in hopes that our buddy will come through and buy it, the market in Alaska is not as bad as in the lower 48's.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM

My $ will stay where it is also, tressa . I have a teachers' pension as well as SS (in November) ao I will not be touching that money unless I have to. I hope i can make an even swap for my home , from LI to Portland , and just use a little of the cash for moving expenses & all.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM

543 posts, read 1,003,336 times
Default preserving equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My $ will stay where it is also, tressa . I have a teachers' pension as well as SS (in November) ao I will not be touching that money unless I have to. I hope i can make an even swap for my home , from LI to Portland , and just use a little of the cash for moving expenses & all.
I'm not familiar with your housing market, but if it looks like the values are still going down, have you considered taking out a home equity loan and placing it in another type of investment - something conservative and comfortable... money market, or municipal bonds, perhaps? If the housing values are slipping, say 5-6% every few months or a year... would it make sense to capture the equity now in the form of cash so you don't suffer any major loss?

Then, since the equity was mostly out of your home, whether the values went down or whatever, you'd still have captured that equity at today's prices, not tomorrow's (assuming that they might still be lower). If prices go up again, you're still coming out ahead. Does that make sense? Just curious.. It is one thing to make money - it is something of an art to maximize and multiply it. Best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement