Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times

Advertisements

Time is just clicking by, we are now under 30days before retirement begins. We are still in the process of moving out of home for the last 16 years, kids are visiting more now that we are leaving the state for a few months at a time. Friends just came up the Alcan Highway stating they paid more than $5.00 per gallon for gas in Canada, unfortunately we still have to drive down so the expense just went up a grand, good thing we sold the house.

Here in Alaska this is the best time of the year but we still have to build our place down there so we will end up leaving the best time of year for the hottest times down there but next year we will be right back here during the spring.

Looking forward to being able to relax and enjoy life completely, even with building our place down there we still will work on our terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Wow, how exciting! Does it seem a little surreal now that is right on your doorstep?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Default now, it's 29 :o)

Wow. THIRTY DAYS !!!! Good for you ,tressa. You must be so excited.
Remember that very old (and somewhat dated saying : Today is the first day of the rest of your life" ? Well, that will apply to you in 30 days. I had not realized that you would be keeping a place in Alaska. I doubt if there could be two more different places than Nevada and Alaska.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Tressa, all the best to you with you BIG move. The best years are yet to come.

It is hard to leave your home after 16 years, but building the place of your heart will be so special. Plus, you get to visit with the kids in the Spring when it is so lovely in Alaska! What could be nicer than that!

We just retired a few months ago a couple of years earlier than planned. Hubby's health was compromised so it was a good time to say good-bye to cooperate life and hello to the big pile of books we have both been waiting to read.

As we have moved around the country we have left each of our 4 boys in a different region of the country (Not on purpose! Our moves just coincided with their flight from the nest.). Now, we are trying to sell a house in the Atlanta area and move a bit further north so that we are at least within a day's driving distance to son#1 in MI, son #3 in CT, son, #4 moving back to PA soon. Son #2 is out in your new home territory. Perhaps you can stop in once in a while and tell him and the family that Mom misses them!

Life is just about to begin a new wonderful new chapter for all of us, Tressa. I hope yours is a happy story!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 AM

67 posts, read 157,066 times
Default Good Luck!

Congratulations early! It must be so exciting to be just a few days away from your retirement. Be sure and post how the construction of your new home is going.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Excellent! It will be here before you know it! Retirement is great! I am retired
6 months already and don't miss work,just enjoying life!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the posts, we are starting to pack up our trailer now to haul our goods out, spent the last 2 days doing so. We have 2 more weekends before the trailer gets on the barge. We will spend the last week or so in the MIL place or the motorhome, all I can say is WOW. Been spending alot of time with the grandkids and loving everyminute of it, the 2 year old is just the best little redhead blue eyes and the attitude to go along with it all. Life is good, can't wait to enjoy it on my own terms.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 AM

42 posts, read 145,296 times
Congratulations... I'm sure I'm not the only one following your progress enviously!
I will be in your shoes in under two years myself, and it occurs to me that you (and I when the time comes) are really facing not just one big change in stopping work, but a second in moving from the familiar home. The closer it gets for me, the more eager I am, but also the more intimidating the twin changes seem. I wonder if you find that? Do you think those of us contemplating total change like that are just a touch crazy? Or do you find it just as easy to put all your transitions into one big system shock and get it over with? Maybe it's more exciting than intimidating to others than to me, but I'm just wondering, now that it's here, how are you feeling about it?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM

we are excited about our move, you might say we are running away from our working life, the idea of starting over in a place where family for the exception of our own kids will live 7 hours away by car, and not by a 7 hour flight not to mention the huge expense of air travel. My husbnd and I are still young he is 55 and myself 53 so we are hoping for a busy few years before we settle down period starts, we've been married all our adult lives to each other so we've grown up together and plan to grow together. Some folks think that we are making a huge jump in which we are but we've been preparing for this for 35 years.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 AM

42 posts, read 145,296 times
Wow... a lot of similarities! We'll be 55 and 54 when I retire in a year and a half... and will also have been married for 35 years at that point. I hope you keep posting here after your time is up; I'd love to hear how it's going for you. Guess it could be a bit of a 'preview of coming attractions'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement