Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Well, at 58, I dress for ME. I don't need a book written by a man that tells me how to dress. Same goes for hair. If a man likes certain clothes or hair, let him wear them. Neat and clean but dressing for ME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 10,458 times
I'm not going to respond other then this as I just found this by mistake on my own post but felt had to add my 2 cents.

Best thing I can say is what the violinist in this video below says. The deaf girl asks why she has to be different from other people and the violinist replies "Why do you have to be like others?" Each of us are our own individuals and I think you should dress as you feel comfortable in. Why dress to please others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9KsrH377A

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
At this point in my life, I wear whatever feels good. I don't really think anyone cares what I wear.
Interesting. I think you should also consider the people "forced" to look at what you're wearing - the people you associate with, go out with, do things with shouldn't need to be looking at the same old clothes that you wear because "it feels good". I know older folks who refuse to update their clothes when they have $$$$ to buy about a new shirt/dress weekly if not daily. Its really not fair to the people around you if you wear the same stuff over and over.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Interesting. I think you should also consider the people "forced" to look at what you're wearing - the people you associate with, go out with, do things with shouldn't need to be looking at the same old clothes that you wear because "it feels good". I know older folks who refuse to update their clothes when they have $$$$ to buy about a new shirt/dress weekly if not daily. Its really not fair to the people around you if you wear the same stuff over and over.
It's not FAIR to the people around me! Really? First off....I don't have $$$$. Secondly....I never said I dressed like a slob. My clothes are clean and not rags. I choose to wear levis, flannel shirts and t-shirts. So do most people who live around here. It's rather presumptuous of you to assume my clothes are old and grubby.
When I go to town to run errands or even grab a meal, occasionally, I really doubt that anyone is offended if they've seen me wear the same "outfit". I would be surprised if anyone noticed.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Thank you all for very interesting responses. How we dress as we age and change shape may depend on how we always dressed and our lifestyle as some of you have pointed out.
as others have said if you like taking care of yourself and look nice then it is a bit of challenge to find the right clothes, the kind that is comfortable, fits well, and makes us feel good. It is not about attracting anyone but for one's own self-image, well being, and fun. I too find clothes in some stores where I used to shop now stocks shapeless, but comfortable, clothing.
I find myself mostly shopping the sales at Ann Taylor and Banana Republic , occesionally Talbots, whose sizes seem to have changed (more forgiving!). and also style. While it used to be more form fitting with deep necklines they are much nicer fit and better necklines. But they are a bit pricey compared to Macy's.
the trouble I am having is either they are too fitted or too shapeless. I would like to clothing that something that is comfortable and fits well.

Where Do you shop at more frequently?

I also find shoes need adjustments. I buy far less, maybe one pair in a season, and look for wide size, well made, and comfortable. Zappos is expensive but it is the only place I find stuff I like.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
It's not FAIR to the people around me! Really? First off....I don't have $$$$. Secondly....I never said I dressed like a slob. My clothes are clean and not rags. I choose to wear levis, flannel shirts and t-shirts. So do most people who live around here. It's rather presumptuous of you to assume my clothes are old and grubby.
When I go to town to run errands or even grab a meal, occasionally, I really doubt that anyone is offended if they've seen me wear the same "outfit". I would be surprised if anyone noticed.
Then you do care. Your earlier post said you don't care. So if you did have $$$$, you'd dress differently. Again, you do care.

It doesn't take a lot of money to add variety to your wardrobe - and provide people around you something else to look at other than that same old fav shirt you always like to wear.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Then you do care. Your earlier post said you don't care. So if you did have $$$$, you'd dress differently. Again, you do care.

It doesn't take a lot of money to add variety to your wardrobe - and provide people around you something else to look at other than that same old fav shirt you always like to wear.
Re-read my post. I said I didn't think "anyone cares what I wear". And I never implied that if I had lots of money I would dress differently. Where do you get off telling me what I think? Or what I wear...."that same old fav shirt you always like to wear."
What's with the personal attack?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
When I'm an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

A poem for you.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Where Do you shop at more frequently?
I knit approximately 80% of the clothing and accessories I wear/carry -- hats, scarves, dresses, tops, sweaters, jackets, coats, socks, and shoulder/handbags. Knitting my own clothing gives me total control over styles, designs, fibers, colours, and fit, plus the satisfaction of not meeting myself coming and going.

Due to my size (petite 0/petite 2), figure (linear), and allergy to synthetic fabrics (even when the synthetic fabric is blended with natural fiber, my skin will rebel against it), I cannot buy my clothes in popular stores. Eight years ago, I found a British independent online retailer that carries my style and size (though with some alterations), and that's the only place I've been shopping for the other 20% of my clothing.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 06-11-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I wear whatever I want to wear. I think most of my clothes are casual chic. Around the house my choice has always been jeans, a top, sometimes a very pretty top, nice earrings....topped with a denim shirt over it. I started wearing this look about 25 years ago.
I know when to dress up, but I prefer causal for everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement