U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM

98 posts, read 140,304 times

Advertisements

I used to get my prescriptions from Canada, at a good price, but now the USA has put a hold on the companies, and I no longer can. Mexico has gotten as expensive as the USA. Where do you guys go for your medications without getting ripped up by the USA industry? Or is there a new country?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygold View Post
I used to get my prescriptions from Canada, at a good price, but now the USA has put a hold on the companies, and I no longer can. Mexico has gotten as expensive as the USA. Where do you guys go for your medications without getting ripped up by the USA industry? Or is there a new country?

Thank you,
I know for a fact that you can still order Rx from Canada, and the pharmacies will ship those Rxs (with a doctor's written prescription, of course). Whether or not they'll arrive at your home -- that's a little 'iffy' now. But I've had no problems -- so far.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM

98 posts, read 140,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I know for a fact that you can still order Rx from Canada, and the pharmacies will ship those Rxs (with a doctor's written prescription, of course). Whether or not they'll arrive at your home -- that's a little 'iffy' now. But I've had no problems -- so far.
What pharmacy do you use? Thank you,

Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygold View Post
What pharmacy do you use? Thank you,
PM me. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,261,443 times
The challenge some have faced when purchasing from abroad is that of counterfeit drugs. In Mexico, it's a serious concern.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
I still get prescriptions from Canada, to.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Permanent or semi permanent "medical tourism" (AKA becoming an expat) will become more and more prevalent. That is the ultimate way to get around this problem!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times
We used to do "drug runs" to Mexico but now the availability is slim and the prices not so good. The on-line pharmacies come and go according to our great government that is attempting to protect us. But sometimes you can just respond to the spammers and order drugs. I've gotten good supplies from India, Germany, etc. But then the website disappears. It's hit or miss. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 AM

And another big problem is: do we want our drugs to be subject to the summer heat, which they will be if we order now. The minute our drugs started to warm up in mail transit -- their chemical composition changes permanently.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,272,361 times
If that was the case, the same thing would happen to the drugs in YOUR HOME. Think about that for a minute ? Do you keep all your meds in the fridge ? I bet that you do not.

As for buying prescription drugs from Canada...................Did you know that a number of US States buy drugs from Canada, for their State employees' use ? Yes they do, and the reason is simple. Lower prices, and assured quality.

Read this link.

Local governments in US buy cheaper prescription drugs from Canada

I live in Toronto, about 70 miles from Buffalo New York, and it is a very common thing to see chartered US buses, in Niagara Falls , Ontario, with a full load of American seniors on board, going in to get prescriptions filled, at a Canadian pharmacy. They do this on a regular basis, usually every three months, for refills. Canadian law requires that they have their US script reviewed by a Canadian Doctor, but once they have done that, they are allowed to get refills for up to two years, in Canada.

Remember that the vast majority of the prescription drugs that are sold in Canada, both brand name and generic, are MADE in the USA. The price difference is due to the Canadian Government's price control legislation, which sets out the price that a drug will sell for here. in Canada. Our Government is smart enough to control the prices, and make the drug companies comply with the law. I have never heard of a US drug maker who didn't sell their products in Canada, despite our controlled price structure here.

Canada is not a third world country, so the scare tactics by the US Drug companies are just a load of hooey. What they are trying to do is continue their strangle hold on the US consumer's wallet.

A final point........The US Government is working hand in glove with Big Pharma, to convince Americans that they will be arrested and sent to jail, for exercising their right to make a free choice, about where and how they spend their own money. That stinks.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or