Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

I see many posts about filing 3 months before you full retirement age to start collection at FRA. Wouldn't that mess up actually being FRA when filing and the added choices you have then etc. ? I remember one poster said they filed a couple weeks shy of the FRA because they were busy moving etc. and they ended up without the usual choices of waiting to FRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I am not aware of what additional choices one has when filing at full retirement age. Could you please list those?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:29 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
I don't understand the choices part. The earliest you can file is 3 months prior to your 62nd birthday. After that, you can file anytime, for any date in the future. The exact age you request benefits to start will determine your benefit amount. The choice is yours. Direct deposit to a bank, should preclude any moving issues. Nobody gets checks in the mail anymore to my knowledge.

Last edited by BLS2753; 06-16-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I don't understand the choices part. The earliest you can file is 90 days prior to your 62nd birthday. After that, you can file anytime, for any date in the future. The exact age you request benefits to start will determine your benefit amount. The choice is yours. Direct deposit to a bank, should preclude any moving issues. Nobody gets checks in the mail anymore to my knowledge.
This is true. The bank where I worked a few years ago didn't require a credit check to open an account....so even someone with shot credit could come in and open a checking account. That was a short time before they went to direct deposit of all checks.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
If your birthday is in june you will receive your first check in august and you need to have filed 3 months prior to your birthday.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I see many posts about filing 3 months before you full retirement age to start collection at FRA. Wouldn't that mess up actually being FRA when filing and the added choices you have then etc. ? I remember one poster said they filed a couple weeks shy of the FRA because they were busy moving etc. and they ended up without the usual choices of waiting to FRA.
Good point. It shouldn't mess it up, but it could. For those who want the choice of file and suspend or file for ex's benefits, etc., I'd suggest waiting until they have reached FRA before actually filing. SSA will still pay up to 6 months retroactive benefits, if desired.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
My neighbor filed in January, her birthday in March and she got her first check mid-May. Guess they have a "skip" month in there between birthday and first month?

Speaking of......she said that checks now come either first or middle of month depending on your birthdate. Does anybody know the cut off days? For instance, my birthday is on the 13th and DH's is on the 26th. Does that mean that I will get my check the first of the month and he will get his the 15th of the month? That might be nice in a way, but since mine is so much less than his, our beginning of the month will be leaner.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM

419 posts, read 656,263 times
My husbands FRA is in April. He will apply and start drawing social security the January before. He will loose maybe $30 per month but he will be able to works at his full time job Jan-Feb and March and still collect his full social security check and not be penalized. That is how we are going to approach it.

Rothbear. the social security site - I'm not on it or I would look, has the dates you receive your check based on your birthdate. Hubbys is 27th and mine 29th and so we will both get check at the same time. I already receive mine (I'm retired), on the the 4th Wednesday of the month. Mine hits my bank on Tuesday however.

Was able to go to the site: if your birthday is on the 1st - 10th deposit will be on 2nd Wed; 11-20 3rd Wed and 21-31 4th Wed. So yours will be deposited on the 3rd WED and his the 4th WED.

Of course many who have been receiving social security since before these new dates were inacted still get a check on the lst of the month as far as I know anyway.

Last edited by pnwretired; 06-16-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
If you are starting your benefits when you turn 62, you can't file more than 3 months before your birth month. Other than that, the 3 months before you start thing would apply only if you were concerned that your claim would be complex and take a while to process - such as a case where your birth date is in question, or your birth certificate would be difficult to translate from a foreign language, or you had lots of marriages, or issues with your earning record. You can choose your date, too. For example, if you file 3 months before FRA, you can either start immediately or tell SSA you want to start at FRA.

Another thing - you are considered to have attained your age the day before your birthday. So, for example, when turning 62, if you were born on the 1st or 2nd, you are technically 62 all month. Your benefits don't start until the month in which you are 62 the whole month.

So, if you were born July 2nd, your benefits would start in July. if you were born July 3rd, your benefits start in August. And, they are paid in arrears, not in advance, so your first check wouldn't come until September. There isn't a 'skip month' - the September check is for August's benefit.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Good point. It shouldn't mess it up, but it could. For those who want the choice of file and suspend or file for ex's benefits, etc., I'd suggest waiting until they have reached FRA before actually filing. SSA will still pay up to 6 months retroactive benefits, if desired.
Those were the sort of choices I was referring too. There are some things you cannot do unless you reach FRA before filing, and I wondered if the file 3 months before you want benefits to start advice so often given would mess that up.
I am not concerned with filing at 62 or any other age prior to FRA. But as I said I wondered if you were looking to do file and suspend or such options if you really should do the 3 months before of wait until you are indeed FRA as mentioned by Lenora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement