Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Lying in bed dying of nothing bothers me, which is why I don't bother exercising.
The best I can do is take a fairly long walk. I love lying in bed doing nothing...but it has nothing to do with being older...I was an extreme person all my life- Either highly energized and active - or total bum in bed for a week at a time...The only thing that bothers me is that I had the luxury of super energy and endurance all my life- the drop in power and the loss of energy bothers me....I was superman for god's sake... I thought I would be young forever-----------------* What a cruel joke .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
I exercise more since retirement. 4.5 hours a week at the gym doing cardio and resistance machines. 30 mins spin bike class. 3 hours a week at home doing weights and other muscle exercises. Feel very fit and healthy with lots of stamina.

Still plenty of time for other things I love to do. And when the weather is nice, I go for a walk, a hike, or bike ride.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I exercise more since retirement.
Same here. I have more time for it since retiring, and also taking really long walks is a main part of my daily entertainment. When we take those 8-mile walks it fills a whole morning with an interesting and yet free activity.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 PM

526 posts, read 898,689 times
I used to just naturally exercise, having had wood heat for 30+ years; now that I have "instant" heat, my once toned arms, etc have left me. Exercise comes from working (playing) outside and a couple hrs of daily dog walking. I am loving the easy life of having a riding mower for the acre I keep mowed - I was hating that!
retired I have more time to be outside/walk - so probably more exercise (and more laziness) in retired life.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The best I can do is take a fairly long walk. I love lying in bed doing nothing...but it has nothing to do with being older...I was an extreme person all my life- Either highly energized and active - or total bum in bed for a week at a time...The only thing that bothers me is that I had the luxury of super energy and endurance all my life- the drop in power and the loss of energy bothers me....I was superman for god's sake... I thought I would be young forever-----------------* What a cruel joke .
I, too, thought that I could stay young forever, physically, anyway. But, as I have said before, time, and gravity are our worst enemies as we age. So Oleg, and others who might feel the same, please, don't let your physical image of who you are define you at this point in life. I look in the mirror, and sadly shake my head at the lines on my face, and the body that isn't close to the Adonis physique I remembered having in my youth. My joints hurt, I'm losing my hair, and I don't always have the stamina I had, once, long ago. We all go that way, eventually. It is the natural progression of things. The one thing that we don't have to relinquish as we get older is our spirit and lust for life . Our sense of humor, our outlook on living, that is the definition of who we are as the years rob us physically. I laugh, I love, I see wonder in this world, everyday. I walk out at night, and gaze at the sky, and realize it's the same moon, the same stars I gazed at when I was a youngster, standing in our backyard, on a warm, summer night. Standing there, I still remember that feeling, again. I refuse to let life rob me of who I am. I have stopped focusing on the negatives in life, and try to find good, and humor in this world, at least once in the course of my day. And, as we age, we should all rejoice in the fact there is no pressure to be someone. We are who we are, and if those we meet in life don't appreciate us for that fact, well, we needn't worry. Life is too short, and we have better things to do with our time. Find good people to be surrounded by, and enjoy life.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I exercise more since retirement. 4.5 hours a week at the gym doing cardio and resistance machines. 30 mins spin bike class. 3 hours a week at home doing weights and other muscle exercises. Feel very fit and healthy with lots of stamina.

Still plenty of time for other things I love to do. And when the weather is nice, I go for a walk, a hike, or bike ride.
Respect to you. I find I have motivational problems at times - and get burned out. Variety is important, I find. You're a good inspiration as are several of the other posters here who remain active and care about their health and well-being.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I will say this. Regular exercise really makes me feel a lot better and I have really worked hard on starting a daily routine.

Unfortunately, I am on the shelf for a couple of weeks. The inactivity is killing me
For me, it's all about how good exercise makes me feel. Hope you're back up and at it soon!

My current routine is:
Jog/run 2-3 miles, 3-4x a week.
Row on ConceptD rowing machine, 30 minutes, 1-2x a week.
Light weight lifting, 2x a week.
Yoga, 30 minutes, 4x a week, each session followed by 10-20 minutes meditation.

I listen to audiobooks while running, rowing, and weight training. I set aside the best books for exercise only, which helps keep me eager to get going.

Saturday and Sunday are always 'off' days. I stick to that even though I'd love to do my yoga, because my workouts are pretty intense and I believe my body needs the downtime. I tried doing light sessions but just couldn't downshift.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Respect to you. I find I have motivational problems at times - and get burned out. Variety is important, I find. You're a good inspiration as are several of the other posters here who remain active and care about their health and well-being.
Thanks. I find it hard to stay motivated so I just have to remember what it felt like when I was 35-40 pounds more than I should be. I've been motivated at certain times in my life, especially at decade birthdays - 40, 50. When I was 58 I was motivated by a 60th birthday on the horizon and wanted to feel fit and healthy before a birthday trip when I hit 60.

It's a struggle to keep it off as we travel often and that's when I gain some weight back. I have to take it off again, but it would be wiser just not to gain it.

Motivation also comes from the fact that only about 5% keep weight off long-term and what they have in common is: they workout a LOT, eat healthy most of the time but don't deprive themselves of treats in moderation.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:15 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
marilyn and i are and have been gym rats for many years. of course now that we are in our sixties we are not as motivated as we used to be.

we still mange to go 5 days a week down from the 7 we were doing for decades.

the most de-motivating factor is things no longer are measured in gains. i used to work hard at making my arms bigger and bigger. now it has become measured in what we are not losing.

the days of getting more muscular is over and now it is a battle just to maintain and that in itself i find the most frustrating because you do not see the results after a while.

those results become just measured into not losing muscle. anyway we are proud of the fact that we have remained in relatively good shape but the exercise routines are really no fun anymore.

believe it or not marilyn and i are photographers and we have almost no photos of ourselves , i think i have 4 out of the 10,000 photos on our website.

but anyway this is us.

that is me in the orange. i think marilyns arms are bigger than mine and have more definition and i am jealous..

here is proof you can be 60 years old plus and still wear spandex ha ha ha ha ,sorry for the visual..

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-26-2013 at 03:40 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
More time = more exercise (and more eating )

More travel = more walking (for me)

Lap swimming
Biking
Hiking

I can't run / jog due to teenage work injury.

Exercise ball and stair-stepper if I have to do indoor exercise (a must with 285 days / rain).

It helps a lot to now have a TX home to retreat to. It is on view acreage (as are all my places), GREAT to spend time indoor or out enjoying a 50+ mile un-interrupted view.

Many seniors are very active in Master's sports competitions. A friend in his 70's competes worldwide in Bike racing, swimming and running.

Since I do a lot of volunteer senior care, I spend considerable time in Physical Therapy centers for stroke / surgery recovery. I get a lot of free pointers. . PT and OT is a hidden passion, very helpful in keeping 'fit', and encouraging others in very practical ways. I.e. a $10 exercise ball and video is a very useful and ez tool for all ages. Balance, posture, and strength building. Aligning your body to it's structural norm and correcting poor posture will help to avoid the pains we get by our body 'compensating' for our many years of bad (relaxing / rest) habits. 25 yrs ago a Swiss school teacher was living with us and introduced the fit-ball by exclaiming her students had used them for many yrs. I use a ball at the computer, eating table, reading, TV (if I had one), conversation, desk... EZ to deflate and move when I downsize
i am laughing about the exercise = more eating.

oh man, on the days we do cardio we eat non stop.

i don't even get full i just get tired lifting a fork.

with all the exercise we get it is so easy to gain weight because you are just are that much more hungry so if you don't limit yourself you will gain weight.

marilyn can do it but not me. i am an eating machine if i burn more and i have no will power to eat less.

when it comes to finding time to exercise you have to make the time. we both work and the time comes at the expense of something else.

most folks lump out on the couch after work and complain they have no time.

bull!. there is always time even if it means getting up 1 hour earlier.

i have a buddy who is a ceo. he always would tell us he is so crunched for time he has no time to go to a gym.

well he had a minor heart attack and the doctor ordered him to exercise.

guess what? all of a sudden now that become a priority and he goes to the gym before work.

it is all a matter of priorities not time.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-26-2013 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement