Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just came back from a one-hour brisk (for me) walk sans dogs. I upped this from 45 min. I will add a 20-min similar walk in the evening. Because it's so hot and humid, I really sweat on this walk. I never sweat in a gym because of the a.c., and half the reason for exercise is sweating out toxins.

I read in a book by one of the popular M.D.s that if you eat a lot, and a diet heavy in dairy (cheese, etc) and meats and refined carbs, you have to exercise a lot more. Diets that are more vegetarian lower fat, he or she said, don't require strenuous exercise. Probably why my contractor-builder son, who was brought up largely vegetarian with some meat but no dairy, eats those foods now. He's working and sweating it all off. I also note that monks who live a contemplative more vegetarian life do not exercise strenuously. I think I'll stick to this path, as I will never be a strenuous ardent exerciser.
Glad you mentioned that because diet is the other part of the equation that's important for good health. Hope you post your daily workouts and thoughts.... either here or on a thread you could call "Today's workout with newenglandgirl."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I just started going to a chiro for some back /leg issues. She keeps saying " Walk, don't sit down, get up, walk".... How can I be on CD if I can't sit down??? She has no idea how much I sit, and I will never tell her.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
OK Neg, let's try it. I've been giving half a thought to starting an "Everyday Life in Retirement" thread, and this would be a good place to keep a running exercise journal, as well. I'll commit to doing this for at least one month, and we'll see how it goes.

ps: Those of you who hate the "everyday trivia" topics are bound to hate this thread--just a warning, so you can avoid it.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
OK Neg, let's try it. I've been giving half a thought to starting an "Everyday Life in Retirement" thread, and this would be a good place to keep a running exercise journal, as well. I'll commit to doing this for at least one month, and we'll see how it goes.

ps: Those of you who hate the "everyday trivia" topics are bound to hate this thread--just a warning, so you can avoid it.
I want to look as good as Marilyn (MJ's wife). Above my shoulders, maybe, but below....

Maybe we can persuade Marilyn to join us, she could be the coach.

How about a separate sticky: Senior exercise journal

Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
oooh boy.... ha ha ha ha.

I thought I would be financial advisor when I retired , but maybe old age personal trainer is in the cards.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
oooh boy.... ha ha ha ha
I meant above my shoulders I MIGHT look as good as Marilyn but that below that I definitely do not!

I hope you did not read this wrong, lol.

Please ask M if she'll get on here and give us some inspiration!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:20 PM

ha ha ha ,no we understood.......

Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

How about a separate sticky: Senior exercise journal
Done! Well, I started a thread at any rate. We'll give it a try and see if it inspires us.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I get a rush of endorphins every morning when, getting out of bed, my feet touch the floor, and I realize that I am vertical for another day! I stand, stretching for a few minutes, making sure everything is working before I begin my exercise routine. After a brisk power-walk to the kitchen, I stretch my arm out across the counter, and plug in the coffee percolator. Each morning I alternate arms, by the way. I then power- walk to the office, and place myself in front of the computer, exercising my fingers vigorously across the keyboard. When I hear the percolator has stopped, and the coffee is ready, I briskly power-walk back to the kitchen, to acquire my cup of coffee. I then power-walk back to the office, deftly balancing my cup of Joe. Sitting down, again, in front of the computer, I dab the perspiration from my brow, and check my pulse. With a satisfied feeling, I began to control my breathing down to a normal rate, and know it has been a good morning so far.
^^^Love it !

Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 AM

you know what sucks about aging? i get hurt more while i am sleeping than at the gym.

how the heck can you get hurt just sleeping, it amazes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement