Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Would you really be happy taking care of everything while your roommates went here/there/everywhere and left you with the maintenance chores for extended periods of time? Robyn

Yes. Because I am a homebody now that I can be. There will be much less keeping to do while my roommates are away.

The temperature issue? Separate units for the suites/rooms for those who desire them. Reasonable temps in the shared areas. Be prepared to wear a sweater if need be.

I wouldn't want to live without an open window myself. Only in my own room, of course.

People who aren't interested, for whatever reason, wouldn't apply. People who can see the possibilities would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So now that we have uncovered some issues that might give us pause as far as living together in comfort . . . what about a questionnaire?

Let's see . . .

1. My ideal room temp in summer is _____ and in winter is ______.

2. I have a pet_____. I don't have a pet ______. Other people's pets don't bother me one way or the other_______. Other people's pets are fine as long as I don't have to interact with them in my space______. Pets in a house are annoying.________.

3. I am an early riser and make noise_____. I am an early riser, but I am quiet _______. I am a night owl _____.

What other questions might be helpful?
Smoking would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Smoking would be a deal breaker for me.
Yes we would need to add that to the questionnaire. Good catch, Boogie!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
I am with Robyn on these issues. I have lived alone long enough to value doing it my way, from temperatures to degree of neatness/messiness and so on and on. As for Ani's questionnaire, there will be no pets in my home at any time under any circumstances, even for five minutes. I like indoor temps about 80 in hot weather and about 68 in cold weather. There will be no smoking in my home either, not even for 30 seconds.

I would make lots of sacrifices in order to maintain my independence in this regard. Sharing a house with other people? No thanks. I did it when I was young, and was flexible enough to make it work, but I rather doubt if I still could make it work for more than four or five days. I have had house guests for that length of time, and I have been a house guest for that length of time, and things worked quite smoothly. But long term, again no thanks.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
I just wouldn't want to live in a house with three other women.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I think for me the biggest concern would be overnight guests. How often will my roomies have them, and will it be family members? Young grand kids? Guys they pick up in a bar?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Hilarious! and filled with some of my favorite people.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. Because I am a homebody now that I can be. There will be much less keeping to do while my roommates are away.

The temperature issue? Separate units for the suites/rooms for those who desire them. Reasonable temps in the shared areas. Be prepared to wear a sweater if need be.

I wouldn't want to live without an open window myself. Only in my own room, of course.

People who aren't interested, for whatever reason, wouldn't apply. People who can see the possibilities would.
Yes, I think if things are clearly spelled out, folks would know what to expect and either go into it feeling positive or not "sign up."

What has been so every enlightening for me has been the things that I had not considered, such as pets, smoking and room temps!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hilarious! and filled with some of my favorite people.
Several members on the forum had recommended this movie but I didn't catch it . . . I hope I can find it on Netflix eventually!!! I do want to see it - the cast is filled with some of my "favorites," too. Love Bill Nighy and Dame Judi!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I think for me the biggest concern would be overnight guests. How often will my roomies have them, and will it be family members? Young grand kids? Guys they pick up in a bar?
Oh my. That is a good question.

And how could you expect an accurate (or honest) answer to that on a questionnaire?

Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement