Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And your notation was acknowledged. Sorry if it seemed I was upset with you! I am not! It really won't hurt my feelings at all if the MOD thinks this one needs to be merged.

I appreciate your observations and thoughts and apologize if it appeared I didn't.

Got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No, there needs to be a sitting room AND a TV room, hopefully a distance apart.

The "rooming house" was a business - usually a way for a widow to remain in her house after the husband died. I am talking more of a co-op.

Actually, it would be a lot easier if one person owned the place as opposed to trying to split it up.

===============

There has to be some common shared values. If you want to get some idea of the issues in such a lifestyle, read some of the "life in a monastery" portions on some of the monastery websites. Learning to discuss ideas with those who hold counter views and still remaining life long friendships is one of teh more difficult skills to develop.

The "Goldern Girls Network" website, from what I got from it, seems to be steered in the direction of those who own a home and don't want to move but share the space, bedrooms such with others. I didn't get the sense that they are looking to set up "boarding house" type of places. Unless, i moved inot a mansion I doubt there would be any home that would be spacious enough. Then again, I am an introvert so this idea would be a problem for me in the end. Objectively, I like the idea.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
The "Goldern Girls Network" website, from what I got from it, seems to be steered in the direction of those who own a home and don't want to move but share the space, bedrooms such with others. I didn't get the sense that they are looking to set up "boarding house" type of places. Unless, i moved inot a mansion I doubt there would be any home that would be spacious enough. Then again, I am an introvert so this idea would be a problem for me in the end. Objectively, I like the idea.
I agree with your thoughts. On the surface, it seems like it could be a real solution for folks with personalities that would lend themselves to sharing space.

For me, personally, I find it quite interesting to consider, but I don't know that on a 24/7 basis that I would ever truly feel comfortable with sharing my home with others.

I think it could be a way to preserve one's home if the alternative were to have to sell b/c of financial reasons, but if faced with the decision . . . I am not so sure but what I would opt for downsizing (or renting) so that I would have my "own space" by myself.

I thought the article was interesting b/c it offered some insight into others who have successfully created this type of living arrangement.

There is one situation I would be open to (as far as sharing my home) and that would be with my adult children or my sister, but being relatives, that really isn't the same situation as the one outlined in the article.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't see one word of "long term care insurance " in the post. I do see another option for those older adults who do not have family or other close by people to care for them when they need extended help. Who can afford long term care insurance anyway? Certainly not the average retiree.

The "Golden Girls" sure had it made. It was a relationship that they all enjoyed and they all got along with little or no serious arguments. As for me, I would have a hard time with that. Heck, I never got along with my college roommates ! Always being a private person, I didn't entertain much and certainly didn't want to live with someone that I didn't know, unless they were intimately related to me. Have suggested this to my daughter and s i l, but they rejected the idea. On second thought, we would probably not get along anyway.
I had a great time with my two college apartments mates in Boston. We just had fun, argued some, cooked great meals and had guys over all the time. We shared the chores and split the rent, food, and utility costs, making it cheap in those days (you can't touch the apartment today that we lived in, the rent is off the charts). The only problem was when we all had a crush on the doctor living above us. Then things turned serious.

I could do that again, even with the occasional scuffle.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That's the thing. I would have to have plenty of my own space, uninterrupted and off to myself. In addition, I would need to have things very clearly outlined as to who is contributing what and who is doing what chores, etc.

The way I could see this working for me, should I find myself alone (and women typically do) . . . is to have it more like a "boarding house" - each person paying x amount to me, as owner, lol. I would have to carefully think about kitchen issues, too, and who is cooking and cleaning, etc. I would rather be in charge and do it all (or hire some help) and provide a nice atmosphere for everyone, while also having my own quarters where I didn't have to socialize if I didn't want to.

I think I have control issues, too. Unless it is more like a B&B (and I am in charge) I don't think I would be very compatible for this type of arrangement. But this article sure has me thinking about the possibilities and how it could work.
LOL, you can be in charge, Ani. It would be a welcome relief from all the decades I've had to be. I will organize the cultural events and vacuum.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Years ago, I posted about something like this and if I were widowed, I would definitely look into something like that this.

I know several women widowed earlier than they would like (in their 50's) and they could rent out their own homes as well.

My husband and I would even consider this if we were together.
Renting out a room to an unknown (albeit interviewed) boarder is not the same. I have friends who have done this and once in a while get someone into their home who is a disaster, and try to get rid of them!

An "intentional" household would imo be a small group that meets for a number of months to test compatibility and lifestyle values. You can tell after a few sessions who's going to fit in and who not. Party girls, the poor organizers, and the promiscuous are easily spotted, as are the studious, neat, and/or quiet bookworms. I think a household of sedate spinster types wearing hairnets and making clam chowder for supper would suit me.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Apparently the organizer of the website and business known as the Golden Girls House is starting to hold "classes" to explain how to do this and who needs to do what. You can register on line as "have a house" or "want to be in a house" and the classes are given at various times (on line) and cost $50. So this lady has found a business for herself and a way to help people start these Golden Girl houses ! Entrepreneur she is !

Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I am a very social person, but I need my privacy and I like things cleaned just so - love peace and quiet...I would probably be a terrible roommate.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I'm back.

In order to avoid codes, ordinances,etc., I think the one owner sharing her home is the ideal model. I am thinking of relatively healthy and independent individuals. I would be fine with a large bedroom and my own bathroom. Others, in the same home, might have a room and share a bath for a lesser contribution.

The pets would have to be as compatible as the people.

You could have separate kitchen cabinets where the friends/residents/tenants could keep their own staples. Everyone would be expected to clean up after themselves. I expect a pleasant routine would develop. I don't mind picking up a little slack in the cleaning. Others would likely have equal skills to offer.

A cleaning person for common areas would be nice.

Anyone who didn't work out would be asked to leave, with the home owner having final authority. Hopefully, we would, with some trial and error, form a cohesive and accommadating group.

And, of course, we would have the freezer full of ice cream and cheesecake for the late night meetings.
These are great ideas! And they all sound workable, too!

You pretty much solved the "general cleaning" issues with your very wise suggestion re: a housekeeper! It makes total sense. No one person would feel that she is picking up the slack for others (as far as weekly mopping, cleaning bathrooms, etc).

I second the ice cream and cheese cake and would like to add a few bottles of inexpensive wine, too . . . and some high quality coffee! I will have to tell you - my Keurig would be ideal - as it is per cup and folks could buy whatever they preferred.

You don't think it would be a problem for folks to share a bathroom? Like - 2 people to one nice sized bathroom with tub/shower? Your statement about that got me thinking - if the rent were reasonable, that surely would not be such a huge deal -- not like folks are rushing every morning to get to work and out the door at the same time.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
LOL, you can be in charge, Ani. It would be a welcome relief from all the decades I've had to be. I will organize the cultural events and vacuum.
Oh, I would LOVE IT if someone else were in charge of the social and cultural things. I like to be told where to be and when, lol. I hate figuring out all the logistics!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement