Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When one first moves into a new community and has no friends, they seek out friends. As they meet more people they realize who they are compatible with and will often change friends. This compatibility can take many forms. Examples:

I like to sleep late, eat late, and stay up late thus I am more compatible with those that do the same. My friends know not to call me before 10AM. No reflections on others with different schedules but that is mine.

I play golf and I prefer to hang with other golfers.

I prefer to hang with drinkers versus teetotalers and with that, I need another drink.
Been here (Las Vegas) 3 1/2 years full time. We are now at the point where we have to turn down invitations because we don't have the free time.

I am busier here than I was for the last ten years before retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klindner View Post
Thank you Tek_Freek for making the time for this post and great thread! Also your edits! We just bought and will be moving there May or June 2018. We just turned 70 - both healthy!

Wife turned 70 in February. Mines fast approaching. Cinco De Mayo! I get to choose so it's BJ's and margaritas.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The wood shop is not that common. Our list was shortened because of that.

I agree with everything else, mostly. We have tons of restaurants, doctors, etc. We're in Las Vegas so it's a bit different than Hilton Head.

The 25-40% is in line with what we found for new construction. We looked in FL outside Jacksonville at new, and in SC North of the highway where there was new. Upgrading to decent amenities was a rip off.

It is a strong argument for buying into one of the "used" homes in one of the well established 55+ communities.

The community that I live in has been around for 40+ years and they are continuously adding new clubs and the like. Recently, they approved adding a metal working shop with full welding capabilities as well as a hunting and fishing club. Likewise some of the clubs liek teh Rose Club have gone away as its members have aged out.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:01 AM

Metal shop. Dang!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Sun City Hilton Head has shifted their marketing a bit. The newer section homes are coming with some features that were optional (more money). They have also cut down on available options. No longer takes a full day to go thru all the options and upsells.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Been here (Las Vegas) 3 1/2 years full time. We are now at the point where we have to turn down invitations because we don't have the free time.

I am busier here than I was for the last ten years before retirement.
Isn't that a great feeling?

I hope all of the people that say they wouldn't live in a 55+ and the ones that think they know all about them because they know someone who's mother moved to one and didn't like it are reading this thread.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 PM

245 posts, read 303,796 times
Thank you! I enjoyed it very much. Love the "warts and all" descriptions.

I can't handle the hot weather so its not for us but I still found your comments to be very interesting.

Our friends moved down to Savannah a few months ago from Chicago (where we live) and love it very much. They moved to the Historic District and have found several new friends already
They love all the dog walking and find its a great way to meet people. Also lots of the "over 50" crowd so they feel they fit in as opposed to our area up here which is over run with post college age Cub fans (nothing wrong with that!) but, in the summer, its party central up here - way into the wee hours.

Plus you have to keep a sharp eye out for all the cyclists which are coming at you from every direction!!

Old 04-23-2018, 02:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Isn't that a great feeling?

I hope all of the people that say they wouldn't live in a 55+ and the ones that think they know all about them because they know someone who's mother moved to one and didn't like it are reading this thread.

Agree with Tek_Freek. over the past four weeks, we have had 10 invites to volunteer appreciation events, HOA events, "going back to the Midwest" parties and the like. We are at the time of the yer when people are closing up their places and heading back to the summer cottages.

Then the parties really begin when the permanent residents start getting together again.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Thank you! I enjoyed it very much. Love the "warts and all" descriptions.

I can't handle the hot weather so its not for us but I still found your comments to be very interesting.

Our friends moved down to Savannah a few months ago from Chicago (where we live) and love it very much. They moved to the Historic District and have found several new friends already
They love all the dog walking and find its a great way to meet people. Also lots of the "over 50" crowd so they feel they fit in as opposed to our area up here which is over run with post college age Cub fans (nothing wrong with that!) but, in the summer, its party central up here - way into the wee hours.

Plus you have to keep a sharp eye out for all the cyclists which are coming at you from every direction!!

Try Amsterdam some time. Even the small towns around it. Our tour guides called them Psycho Bikers. They will run into you if you get in their way.

A parking garage next to Centraal Station in Amsterdam.

They have their own "streets" and traffic signals.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agree with Tek_Freek. over the past four weeks, we have had 10 invites to volunteer appreciation events, HOA events, "going back to the Midwest" parties and the like. We are at the time of the yer when people are closing up their places and heading back to the summer cottages.

Then the parties really begin when the permanent residents start getting together again.
True. Everyone wants to catch up and the best way is to have a party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement