U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,583,703 times

Advertisements

Are you familiar with Camano Island in WA? It has less annual rain than the mainland, one accesses the island by bridge, so there's no dealing with ferries, and some years there may be 1-2 snows which are quickly gone. There is definitely less rain & grey than many other areas. It has a rural feel, and is only slightly commercialized. It's a lovely place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,900,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Moth View Post
I agree with JCorbin. Choosing between depression from not enough sunshine or being uncomfortably cold both sound horrible. Are you really going to be able to shovel snow when you're 87? .
Nah. Hire a good-looking young woman to shovel it for you.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Endless gray days and snow aren't generally the best for older people. We need to be able to get out and be active year round. It's crucial to preserve our health and mobility. So no rainy/snowy climates for me. I want sun. I would much rather pay for a pool boy than a snow shoveler.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
"When a storm is done and gone, and the sun is back out again, just drive up and down your driveway a dozen times, and it all gets packed down nicely.

It is not like you really need to go anywhere when it is snowing."

Ummmm.... this might be true for the early years of retirement. Sooner or later, however, you will have medical problems and the odds are that you will need to drive to a major hospital at least once a week (if not several times a week).

Maybe Maine has different snow than we have down here in the mountains of Virginia. I have learned the hard way to NEVER drive over snow to pack it down on your driveway. It will then become thick, rock hard ice that lasts a very long time. I have a long, winding and slightly uphill driveway, and I thought we were ok because WE figured out how to drive our own vehicle on the ice. But that year we had 2 accidents on our driveway when visitors lost control on the ice. We lost a beautiful cherry tree, and got sued. We'll never do that again.

I like the idea of hiring a handsome young lady (or guy) to shovel it, though.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 AM

42 posts, read 128,240 times
Macrina...
You're absolutely right about Camano Island... I'm also thinking of Whidbey Island and the area around Pt Townsend, Sequim, and Pt Angeles, all of which get some benefit from the rainshadow.
Yeledaf...
I like the way you think!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,393,463 times
So many people seem to have very negative opinions about the rain in Oregon and Washington. What I don't understand is why so few people are concerned with current and prospective drought areas that seem to grow with each passing year. All the glowing praise of So. Cal. seems to completely overlook the fact that there hasn't been any significant rain there in years and there is talk there among the experts of "redesertification" but places like San Diego have had to import more than 90% of their water even now. And then you have the southeastern US where some communities are about to run out of water. My only point in mentioning this is - so what's so darn bad about rain? We had planned to retire in North Carolina but I just can't see going someplace where I have to worry about water on the day I arrive. Water is already a scarce resource in many parts of the world so to be able to go someplace where that won't be an issue for many generations to come seems an insignificant price to pay for a slight inconvenience.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,768 times
It's really an individual thing. I would say, though, that just from the fact that you're even questioning this issue, that you may want to reconsider. If you were all excited, and loving the coming winter and rainy weather, and dark, dreary clouds, then you probably wouldn't be asking.

Check out some of the Seattle threads about the on-going issue of weather. Here is one of them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...t-seattle.html

The reality is that some people can tolerate the rain and clouds and cold and mist. I couldn't. I thought I could, but when I actually lived in Seattle for five years, I realized it wasn't true. The days weren't that much shorter, by the way. I'm in Calfornia now, and it's getting dark at 5 p.m., and it's not that different in Seattle. Fortunately, I was in a position to move from there, and did. I have also lived in a lot of snow -- I don't mind snow, although I don't like shoveling it, but my dad always had a snowblower. And with snow, there are often sunny days after a snowfall -- and it's so beautiful.

But.....what I really like are sunny skies, mountains, and warmth -- thus, I, personally, would never reconsider the northwest. I checked into Oregon, too, and just couldn't handle all the greyness. I have SAD, though, and for me it really hits hard. Some people don't get it, however, I've known lots of people for whom it is bad.

I am checking out more of the southwest -- for the sun, warmth and mountains. As for lack of rain -- well, since I'm near retirement age, I don't expect to live so long that I'll be in a complete desert.....and when I "go" it won't really matter. I'm looking at the present, since that's what I'm living in. I don't have that long future like I did when I was in my twenties.

You may want to rent out your house in Southern California, rent for a year or two in the PNW, get used to the areas, check out places to buy, and then sell your house if it feels comfortable. It just sounds like a red flag to me when you haven't moved there and are already questioning the move.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,443,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
So many people seem to have very negative opinions about the rain in Oregon and Washington. ...
I like Washington.

We lived in Bremerton and owned residential property there.

It is rainy, often has light fog; you get used to it.

Granted most of the time that we lived there, I spent seven months of each year living underwater, but it was a nice place to visit when I was up on the surface.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,555,561 times
Or ... you could do what all these "snowbirds" in our area do. Have a winter home here in the Coachella Valley and flee the area in April or May to Washington or Idaho or wherever you want to go until October or November. This arrangement seems to work for thousands of people here in the CV.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 34,916 times
I believe quality of life has a lot more to do with the love you open yourself up to , the people you choose to let inside, and positive choices and actions. It's easy to become depressed for any number of reasons and grey skies can be used as just another excuse. It can be a little difficult to get used to rain and the grey, but if you look at the bright side, you will see that you are overwhelmed with a huge bright side! The positive news is you are retiring!!! Woohoo! That's beautiful! Good for you! Enjoy every day and look at the world in a new way. At least we live in a world where nature still exists and have fun creating a beautiful new bubble of life for yourself! Remember - life is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or