Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
As I have gotten up in years, I have found a wonderful enjoyment that takes no effort, makes me happy and provides a great source of information at times. (I never used to talk to strangers, cause my mother taught me it wasn't wise to do so as a kid.) But now, as a retiree, I rejoice at the chance to pass the time in conversation with people during the day. Alot of them are happy to interact and talk to you and you can tell which ones would or would not want to.

The clerk in Walmart pharmacy was willing to talk to me today about meds (hers, mine and prices.) The young person at the bank and I held a lengthy conversation about saving money, back surgery, and her grandmother who lives in another state. Its these little conversations that keep one from being lonely and is so easy to do. Today a Century Link man based in Idaho told me about his job while I discussed my bill. It was delightful.

I am becoming more and more like my mother who used to say "I talk to everyone." And she did.
When I was a kid my mom was always on me about talking to strangers. She said I "never met a stranger" and I was a really outgoing and friendly little kid. Today I don't talk much to strangers at the stores or in lines, etc. but talk to them all day long, on the job. Most of my customers don't mind the interaction but some do and it doesn't take much to figure out who is who.

My mother is a talker and a half! lol She'll talk to anyone anywhere and sometimes for a long time! One reason I don't like going grocery shopping with her sometimes. When she comes to see me she goes on and on and on so I really don't have to...or get a chance!...to say much. If I try to she'll listen for a few seconds and then say, "Yes, well anyway....". lol I love her to pieces but I now understand why my dad used to tell her to be quiet! Used to make me mad when he did that but now I know why. And she reveals more than she should to people too. She just trusts everyone I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I've lived in NY, MD, DC and now TN and I can say Tennessee was a shocker. Everybody talks to everyone here about anything. Here's a good example:

I had to go to Wal-Mart when I first moved here as I didn't bring with me a lot of little things for the kitchen. So, I'm standing with my cart on the checkout line and there is an older couple in front of me. It happened to be the time when Queen Elizabeth was visiting the USA and the cover of one of the checkout tabloids intimated she was having an affair with President Bush. The lady in front of me was so disturbed by this she turned to me and asked if I thought it was true and told me how bad she felt for poor Laura (Bush not me) if it was true. She was a very sweet older lady and genuinely concerned.

People here chat you up in the Post Office (doesn't matter how long the line is), in the doctor's office waiting room (about their kids, their boyfriends, their kid's teachers), in the restaurants, at the car dealership, etc., like you've been good friends all of your life. Even the doctor spends a lot of time chatting with me - way more than any doctor in any other state ever did.

I think I've told this story before but the first time I brought my car to the Subaru dealer here for regular oil change and service, I asked if they would replace my windshield wiper blades. They did. Later that week it rained. They called me at home and asked how the wiper blades were working out for me. I almost fell off my chair.

I rather like it. I think they are nice people to be so friendly and courteous.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM

125 posts, read 228,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They called me at home and asked how the wiper blades were working out for me. I almost fell off my chair.

I rather like it. I think they are nice people to be so friendly and courteous.
Beautiful. Seems like you picked the right location for retirement.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM

125 posts, read 228,196 times
One of the major reasons why I'm looking forward to retiring is the elimination of a significant amount of focus on the job. For some folks like myself it can mean that talking to strangers is a very low priority due to more "important" things on ones mind. That said I really do enjoy talking to strangers and making new friends occassionaly like the good ole days growing up. But with pressures and stress that comes with being in the workforce, there are days when I will put very little effort acknowledging strangers (unless sunnyside up is of relevance). My socializing ways to strangers which was a much bigger part of my persona in my past has received somewhat of a blow as of late nearing retirement..this will eventually change.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
On my exercise walk if I see someone walking with a dog, very
easy to start a conversation. Also the weather is a very good
topic. in line at the grocery store, numerous places
So yes I do talk to strangers very often. Just make sure it's public/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement