Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,506,108 times

Advertisements

Have you been able to relax yet? Turn off
the alarm to get up, loll around the house
if you want all day?
My neighbor waits in his front yard
for anyone to walk by. Just to talk to
someone not his spouse or his pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,063,151 times
LOL funny to read this, considering I'm sitting on a chair in my front lawn at this very moment. To a passerby I may look bored but actually I'm in a groove. It's a beautiful morning and sometimes it's really nice to sit out here for a while and enjoy watching the world go by. Also, it's a good place to rest a little, since we just got back from kayaking.

I know I post a lot about doing lots of things, but it's also true that sometimes I enjoy just sitting on my front steps for an hour or so. I finally have the time to enjoy being in my beautiful front yard, chatting with anyone who stops by or just listening to the birds. Plus, if I'm going to spend an hour on my i-pad, my front yard seems like a nicer place for that than sitting on a chair inside.

How have I been adjusting so far? I don't know how my life looks to anyone else, but FWIW I'm enjoying having my time to myself and haven't been bored. I'm in a "let's do lots of things" phase right now--don't know if I'll always be that way but for now it's what I want to do. I'll probably slow down as time goes by. Or maybe not. There are also days when I enjoy spending the whole day doing something like reading a book, and that's good too.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
caladium, you must have read my mind. I was thinking about how active you are and--yikes--is she always going to be like this? Can she not relax and read a book or sit in a chair? Now I have the answer: yes, she can.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,063,151 times
LOL well I guess right now I'm like a kid in a candy store. My time is my own, and there's so many things I never had time to do before I retired. Plus, you never know when an injury or illness might keep me from being able to do those bucket list things. So I'd rather do a lot now while I easily can.

I just wanted to point out that lots of people like sitting out on their front steps (or on a park bench or in a mall) and it's not something to be concerned about. It doesn't mean they are bored, lonely, or waiting for someone to stop by and talk. They may be quite happy sitting there watching the world go by.

And... if you do know for a fact that someone is sitting out in his yard because he's waiting for people to come by and say hello, why not take a few minutes out of your day to say hi? You just might find yourself having an interesting conversation.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,049,139 times
LOL You must have read MY mind cause I just started a thread about the joys of talking to strangers! It certainly helps keeping boredom away and is mentally refreshing.

As for relaxing, I have learned how to do that too. Its hot here (116) now, so yesterday I painted my baseboards in my underwear ! Probably will continue today, unless I have to put on clothes to go get more paint.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,422,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Have you been able to relax yet? Turn off
the alarm to get up, loll around the house
if you want all day?
My neighbor waits in his front yard
for anyone to walk by. Just to talk to
someone not his spouse or his pet.
My last day of work was April 1 - the alarm clock got smashed with a hammer in the driveway that same evening and no clock in the bedroom anymore

I'm still de-compressing after the final year of working [In one year 1) death of sister 2) involved in auto accident where someone died 3) daughter's wedding 4) death of mother 5) retirement], so I'm in no hurry to do anything yet.

I can go days doing diddly-squat!
Happy as a hippo in mud

Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,361,812 times
I was made for retirement. I'm just as happy being active as I am kicking back and watching the grass grow.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM

30,473 posts, read 16,182,476 times
Yup! I've worked 2nd shift over 30 yrs. My choice-I hated getting up to go to work and preferred my mornings free.

I've never seen so many sunsets since retiring in January. They're really beautiful!

Maybe someday I'll get up early enough to see a sunrise. Not tomorrow tho'. Probably not Monday either.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Yup! I've worked 2nd shift over 30 yrs. ... I've never seen so many sunsets since retiring in January. They're really beautiful!

Maybe someday I'll get up early enough to see a sunrise. Not tomorrow tho'. Probably not Monday either.
As a retired shift worker myself, I like to be up for sunrise and up for sunset. I'm not worth a darn during the day. 'Siesta time' was my last accomplishment for the day. Next on today's list, is sunset at a patio potluck.

I have never had an alarm clock or a watch. My retirement transition took about 1 minute.. (From the door of the office to the car) Zoom.. gone!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,427,608 times
Even though my retirement is as of July 1st I won't be able to answer this until September when everyone else is going back to school and I am NOT! Still, I'm reaping the benefits from it. First pension deposits should be the end of July and if I was still working I wouldn't see a pay check until the end of September as teacher contracts are paid on ten months. I'll not only see money this summer it will also be good as the health costs don't start coming out until September. So, ask me again, say....October!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement