Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,528,453 times

Advertisements

How's your eyesight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM

A number of doctors told me to avoid caffeine and sugar to reduce the tinnitus. Sugar, okay. Caffeine, no way.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,232,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How's your eyesight?
It is amazing how many seniors have VHL--vision and hearing loss. Being hard of hearing, with macular degeneration, basically qualifies a person as deaf blind. Something most seniors would deny, even if they are in that category.

In that case, hearing aids are very important, as if you can't see very well, hopefully you can hear better!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 AM

437 posts, read 647,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When I was teenager my Dad warned me I would go blind some day, but he didn't deaf as well.
I feel a need to say this, after reading this last sentence of your post...... My mother became legally blind due to early onset Macular Degeneration. I was working in a holistic medical center and the time, talking with a group of co-workers, about losing one of our senses.

I said, out loud, that I'd rather go deaf than blind. A day later my ears became "full", and a week later I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease, a progressive disorder compiling of hearing loss, fullness in the head/ears, tinnitus and extreme vertigo.

Be careful what you put out into the Universe.... 'cause ya never know what sort of cruel fate will befall you.

bullie~

Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
A number of doctors told me to avoid caffeine and sugar to reduce the tinnitus. Sugar, okay. Caffeine, no way.
I would "ignore" that piece of information from your doc. Since they have no clue what causes it, where it is in our brain, that sends these signals, I can't jump on the no sugar/caffeine bandwagon for tinnitus. For Meniere's, YES, as they try to keep water levels in the inner ear to a BARE minimum.

It has yet to help with the vacuum that sits up to my ears, 24/7.

Freek, I hate to poo poo what a doctor has told you, and yet, I'd be eating donuts and coffee every morning, if I could.

bullie~

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,875,593 times
Quote:
How's your eyesight?
Actually my eyesight is pretty good, a year or two ago I passed the driver's license exam without glasses, but I do rely on reading glasses to read the small print.

Didn't grow hair on my palms either.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Honestly, being deaf is more of a problem than blindness. Blindness you can still communicate, be connected, deafness is the hardest on relationships.

But, I agree, in my case, I too think deafness is better than blindness, but those who have the issues, say hearing is the biggest problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Honestly, being deaf is more of a problem than blindness. Blindness you can still communicate, be connected, deafness is the hardest on relationships.

But, I agree, in my case, I too think deafness is better than blindness, but those who have the issues, say hearing is the biggest problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I would "ignore" that piece of information from your doc. Since they have no clue what causes it, where it is in our brain, that sends these signals, I can't jump on the no sugar/caffeine bandwagon for tinnitus. For Meniere's, YES, as they try to keep water levels in the inner ear to a BARE minimum.

It has yet to help with the vacuum that sits up to my ears, 24/7.

Freek, I hate to poo poo what a doctor has told you, and yet, I'd be eating donuts and coffee every morning, if I could.

bullie~
I don't ignore it. Well, yeah I do, but it's true for me. I can tell when my morning coffee kicks in by listening.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Didn't grow hair on my palms either.
Oh no you DIN'T just type that!! BWAHAHAHHA!

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement