U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,611,649 times

Advertisements

I am on the fence about retiring. As a public school teacher, I have always enjoyed teaching but cannot stand the administrative nonsense that goes along with the job. I know that every job has those types of issues, and I wonder if another year of salary and savings is worth it.

I have been home since February from a work-related injury and I have enjoyed almost every minute of these months, even with the physical therapy. However, I tell myself that I can do another year and can ignore all that stuff that really has nothing to do with students and teaching since this would definitely be my last year of teaching.

What made all of you take that final step and retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,630,585 times
First question: Can you afford to retire?

If no, there's not really much point of going further, is there?

If yes, what do you envision doing all day during retirement (be realistic).

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,611,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
First question: Can you afford to retire?

If no, there's not really much point of going further, is there?

If yes, what do you envision doing all day during retirement (be realistic).
Yes, I can afford to retire: two state pensions, properties, investments, etc. Not old enough for SS.

My average day would be spent at the Y, volunteering at one of the animal shelters (maybe more than one), baking and cooking (I have done at lot of this since February and really enjoy it), and taking my dog to the park. DH is not planning on retiring this year so travel will have to wait. I would like to spend some nice days into October at the beach.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM

8,197 posts, read 9,948,201 times
I've long realized that my sense of accomplishment and satisfaction came from the ministry, In which I was engaged for 25-30 years ... while also working a full-time career with a large corporation. Therefore, even though I was good at my career, there was no compelling feeling that I needed to 'hang-on' longer than necessary. I also thought about that 'old bit' about how "None of us is going to get down to the end of our lives and wish they had spent more time at the office."

My wife had planned on retiring in 2008 (School Principal). Coincidentally, at the same time, my company was offering a 'Buyout package' which, in my case, would pay me for about a year. I took a close look at our financial picture and decided, 'Why wait?' -- There's not much else I really want or expect to accomplish by working in my career for another 2-4 years anyway ... So, I 'cut the cord.' I've not looked back --- and have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited by jghorton; 07-01-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,274,730 times
I didn't like my job anymore. My son was out of college with a good job and didn't need financial assistance. I decided to retire in 2005 and work part time. Never regretted my decision for one minute. I like, I mean, love my new life! If you are still rethinking retirement, you may not be ready. When you are ready to retire, there are no second thoughts.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,785,370 times
Didn't like what my profession was becoming (nursing). Didn't like what the profession was turning me into (callous). Couldn't go home feeling that even though I did my best, it wasn't good enough. Couldn't go home without rehashing events. Accomplished a lot in my field, worked long hours - unusual, irregular hours including three military deployments with huge personal sacrifices.

Had a long term plan from day one that I was in the workforce to "pay myself first" and invested wisely allowing me to retire at an early age. Lived beneath my means with sacrifices and think the plan has worked out without any hangups 4 yrs since I worked my last day.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM

48,521 posts, read 80,854,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Yes, I can afford to retire: two state pensions, properties, investments, etc. Not old enough for SS.

My average day would be spent at the Y, volunteering at one of the animal shelters (maybe more than one), baking and cooking (I have done at lot of this since February and really enjoy it), and taking my dog to the park. DH is not planning on retiring this year so travel will have to wait. I would like to spend some nice days into October at the beach.
Sounds to me like retiring when your husband does might just be the time. Its a lot easier once you make the decision.its always something that brings it to the front and normally like you seeing the other side of the fence for a change and liking what you see. good luck

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,895,471 times
To the OP: I was a high school teacher for a public school district for 34 years, so I can relate to your post. I had some years that were hell on earth and other years that were enjoyable and rewarding. But I had always planned my retirement for age 61 and a half with 34 years of service because that was the point at which my pension would be adequate to live on and additional years of service would have added relatively smaller gains to it.

I was determined to hold out to that point and I did so. Actually my final year was very enjoyable because of my particular assignment and because of the excellent assistant principal that I was sort of "working for". That was more "luck of the draw" than anything else, but I was grateful for the nice final year because that's the taste that is left in one's mouth, so to speak.

Of course, when it comes down to balancing extreme stress (one's mental health) against a somewhat earlier retirement (and smaller pension), only you can decide that based on how bad the stress is and what your own financial situation is.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM

23,606 posts, read 30,264,898 times
I pulled the plug two years earlier than planned after attending a talk by Garrison Keillor (of A Prairie Home Companion and Lake Wobegone Days). At the end of his talk he entertained questions from the audience and the last questioner asked how he managed his time between weekly radio shows, the speaker circuit, writing numerous books and attending signing events and talks. His answer was prescient.

He said that one day he weighed his life between those things and those people he considered of worth and he waned to retain and those things and people he didn't. He retained the former, rid himself of the later and that left enough time for what was important to him.

Returning home I turned to my wife and told her I was retiring at the end of that year instead of two years later. Work had become a chore, I was no longer happy or fulfilled by it so it was time for me to go. And I did! No regrets!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM

6,207 posts, read 7,374,460 times
I didn't want to. Retire, that is. The decision was made for me by the PTB when the company filed Chapter 11, closed our satellite facility and I was left without a job. Unfortunately, I was already 65 so even though I wanted to continue working, there wasn't much of a chance. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Sorry, you're over-qualified." Everyone knows that means, "We aren't hiring the geriatric crowd." Never mind that I was extremely experienced, had excellent references, was willing to work for less than I was earning - nobody cared. Nobody cared that I was good at what I did and that I wanted to work until I fell over in my traces.

I muttered to myself for a couple of years about how unfair it all is, and then reconciled with the fact that my working (for pay) days had ended. I still resent not having control over when I stopped being productive (for pay). With some health developments in the past few years, I probably wouldn't have been able to continue in perpetuity anyway. I still have enough left to take care of my house, my yard, and some of the younger grandkids. But I still miss having a mission. (for pay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement