Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Is there a possibility of having a "Creativity" thread, along the lines of what NewEnglandGirl suggested? Something more eclectic, personal, and inclusive (of anything deemed "creative")?
I think anyone is free to create one but it doesn't make sense having two "Sticky" threads on it. We are only allowed 2 per forum and it doesn't make sense to me to create two posts on this. IMHO, one thread is enough for all photo type threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
OK so would someone like to post the SIMPLE method to get photos on here? I have read the posts on other sites and have never gotten it to work. Puleeese ?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK so would someone like to post the SIMPLE method to get photos on here? I have read the posts on other sites and have never gotten it to work. Puleeese ?

One maybe silly first question.
Are you trying to post a picture directly from your computer ?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
You can upload your photos to a free site like Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing and then it will give you an IMG code that you can just copy and paste onto your post and the photos will automatically show up.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Default How I Insert Pictures at City Data

Go to My Settings (Blue band at the top of this page, left side) and click on it.

Scroll (if needed) down to Pictures and Albums at the left and click on it

Click on Add Album

Give it a title (and a description if you want) and make it private or other (bottom of the page)

Click Submit

On the next page click on Upload Pictures.

On the next page click on Browse. This opens a dialog box where you browse your computer for the picture you want to upload. You can do one at a time and a total of three in one session.

In the dialog box scroll to the picture you want to upload, highlight it, and click Upload

Back at the previous screen click on Upload Pictures when you have the one(s) you want in the list at the top. Wait for it (them) to upload.

After they have uploaded you have the options to Change the Caption or delete the picture.

Click on Save Changes.

You will be shown your album and the pictures in it.

To place one in a post click on it and it will go to another page. At the bottom you will see Picture URL with some text under it in a box. Highlight the text.

In the post where you want the picture click on the yellow mountain icon and paste that code in the text box that opens. Leave the highlighted text alone and your code will overwrite it. You want it to do this. Click OK and your picture will be inserted at the cursor location.

A tip: When I do this I open a second occurrence of City Data in another tab in my browser. This allows me to upload the picture without disturbing the Reply Post I am creating. Once I finish I close the other tab. Just be sure you close the correct tab.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-05-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Houston...we have a problem
Tek Freek.....I got a blank page from your link
You gave instructions for an insertion ....assume you were giving a demo? ...but just a link is showing up ( for me anyway)

Or do I have a problem?
Others are mentioning picture insertions/ slow loading from photos and I get nothing but links.
Am I going balmy or what?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Thanks everyone. I have gotten photos onto my album but never into a post. So i will try again...

Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Houston...we have a problem
Tek Freek.....I got a blank page from your link
You gave instructions for an insertion ....assume you were giving a demo? ...but just a link is showing up ( for me anyway)

Or do I have a problem?
Others are mentioning picture insertions/ slow loading from photos and I get nothing but links.
Am I going balmy or what?
No.

Go to My Settings (see previous post) and scroll down to Edit Options.

On that screen scroll down to Visible Post Elements and make sure the boxes are checked.

If they are post back and we'll keep digging.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No.

Go to My Settings (see previous post) and scroll down to Edit Options.

On that screen scroll down to Visible Post Elements and make sure the boxes are checked.

If they are post back and we'll keep digging.
Oh, of course!
As soon as you mentioned it I remembered that long,long ago I set it that way so as to avoid the long DL times holding up a thread and/or pictures so big you wear out the scroll bar just to read posts....and then again and again if others quote that post
It's great picking and choosing what I want to look at....links are fine.
(However....your link still didn't bring up anything other than a blank page)
Thanks

Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Default Not yet retired but...

Well I am not yet retired but I am visiting possible retirement locations so I thought I would post a couple here lets see if this comes out good.

Pictures are in Charleston SC at the Mount Pleasant beach and one picture of the oldest tree on the east coast coming in at 450 or so years old. Told my mother in law pictured there that we finally found something older than she is LOL.

So since I am not retired though I hope you all will forgive me for my indulgence. I am really close though. Just looking for a place to roost.
Attached Thumbnails
Photography & Artwork Photos - A place to post your personal photos-pict0666.jpg   Photography & Artwork Photos - A place to post your personal photos-pict0667.jpg   Photography & Artwork Photos - A place to post your personal photos-pict0671.jpg   Photography & Artwork Photos - A place to post your personal photos-pict0691.jpg   Photography & Artwork Photos - A place to post your personal photos-pict0692.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement