Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I looked up Generation America's FAQ's and gathered the following information:

1. They bill themselves as a place for Republican, conservative and tea party seniors.

2. They oppose all gun control.

3. They don't believe seniors should bear any of the cost involved in social security reform because that's a problem for "younger generations".

4. They repeatedly call the AARP "liberal", but don't really spell out why.

Out of all this #3 irritates me the most. However, the whole agenda is wrong.

Sounds like something that self-respecting seniors would refuse to belong too.

Conservative Senior Americans Organization | GenerationAmerica.orgGeneration America
Not a group I'd want to be associated with. I personally find their ideas too radical and short-sighted. Before anyone tries to pigeonhole me, I'm a fiscal conservative and social moderate - in other words, an Independent.

PS. AARP lost me years ago and, yes, they are almost totally liberal. I used to bump up against them when I worked in politics and legislation. See, I'm an equal opportunity non-supporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Let's see...you would prefer to be flooded with conservative-oriented junk mail?
Thanks for your response; it pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
AARP tends to support perspectives that acknowledge that many seniors, despite working hard their entire lives, haven't been rewarded by our economy with affluence. They derive their moral compass from sources such as Deuteronomy: "I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land," rather from Ivan Boesky, "You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself." I suppose adhering more so to the moral and considerate perspectives would make the organization "liberal". I don't think that it is fair to conservatives, though, to label organizations that oppose compassionate regard for those less fortunate among the elderly as "conservative". I think a better label would be one that would better capture the "you're on your own" perspective that seeks to "neutralize" the voice that seeks to support and protect the less fortunate.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ya know, I was thinking. I really was. About the only thing most of us on this forum have in common is our ages. No wonder we disagree. Then we get some young 'uns who are decades away from retirement and we have nothing in common. Just a couple of possible reasons as to why we seldom agree on anything. Carry on...........................
Exactly! Which is why living in age-approximate communities doesn't work. So we're all close to the same age, then what?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have found that if you live only around your kind of people you will never learn anything new but only reinforce the the things you know even if they are wrong.

My wife and I have avoided the AARP because it has become primarily an insurance company with a capitive audiance.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have found that if you live only around your kind of people you will never learn anything new but only reinforce the the things you know even if they are wrong.

My wife and I have avoided the AARP because it has become primarily an insurance company with a capitive audiance.
Very true. Now, AARP stands for nothing. It's just letters. They no longer go by the American Association of Retired Persons. Under that rubric they consistently sponsored and/or supported legislation claiming to represent all retired persons. For that reason alone, many of us pulled our memberships because we were not in agreement with their stances.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
[quote=Curmudgeon;30378144]Very true. Now, AARP stands for nothing. It's just letters. They no longer go by the American Association of Retired Persons. Under that rubric they consistently sponsored and/or supported legislation claiming to represent all retired persons. For that reason alone, many of us pulled our memberships because we were not in agreement with their stances.

I wonder how many belong because of the discounts?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Has anybody looked into this conservative alternative to AARP? My wife is 51 and eligible or AARP but we don't appreciate their liberal ideology.
For what use do you need this organization? Are you needing it for insurance, for discounts, for information?

I don't belong to any national age related organization but just doing a google search I see there are a few conservative ones.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For what use do you need this organization? Are you needing it for insurance, for discounts, for information?

I don't belong to any national age related organization but just doing a google search I see there are a few conservative ones.
Months ago I went to a new start up conservative senior web site. It was virtually all marketing. Liberal or conservative senior advocacy groups can be ideal marketing platforms.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Ostensibly, for discounts etc. but the more responses i read here and the more i think about it, i'd like to weaken the AARP as much as possible. I dont think they do any good for the country, much less the individual. The snarky responses i've received confirm that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement