Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

One example is we went out with close friends.
The restaurant offered senior discounts and or
specials.
We asked for the discount and our friends
were horrified. Someone might know how
old they were. Believe me when I say
they looked it. Both white haired, etc.
Doesn't everyone take advantage of senior
discounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Most of the time I forget to ask and a lot of places do not grant it unless you ask.

I once had a manager at Wendy's ask if I was sure to which I asked what the age limit was. Yes, I qualified. I than asked him if he would like to see my driver's license. He laughed and said no. Very charming manager, wouldn't you say?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
One example is we went out with close friends.
The restaurant offered senior discounts and or specials.
These are generally intended for a specific (fixed/limited income) group who need them.
If you need the discount... take it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
We take every senior discount we like. Problem with most restaurants are limited menu selections if they even offer the discount. Kohls senior day is great as are the movies. I love asking for them. Hotels along with AARP and AAA are great.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Sometimes it can be embarrassing but now that I'm way past age 60 I don't mind at all. We have a lot of (are they state or national) parks and recreation areas near where I live and I have a card that gets me in free for life. Great.

I think I did get a senior discount in my YWCA membership.

I don't know of any restaurants that give a senior discount, maybe some of the chains do. We used the senior discount on Amtrak and saved a lot but other than that, I don't know of too many places that have it.

I will say that a few years ago I was embarrassed when I drove through McDonalds for a coffee and my friend asked for two "senior coffees." I don't have a lot of money to spare but it seemed awfully cheapskate to ask for a discount on a cup of coffee? at McDonalds? I got over it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We take every senior discount we like. Problem with most restaurants are limited menu selections if they even offer the discount. Kohls senior day is great as are the movies. I love asking for them. Hotels along with AARP and AAA are great.
Tuborg, Kohls? They have a senior day? I don't like that store though.

I get senior discounts at hotels, I forgot about that, and I don't have AARP or AAA. They just give you the discount if you're a senior. hmmmm. Now I wonder if miniature golf has a senior discount. I KNOW THE WATERPARK DOES---Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Yep, hotel discounts, and Kohl's ... a local regional park has a senior rate that starts at 55 - saves us a buck or two when we launch our kayaks from there.

Senior discounts are senior discounts. They may trace their origins to economic reasons (i.e., fixed incomes, as with Social Security, pensions, etc.), but I haven't seen any yet that require an income below a certain amount to qualify.

The *only* time I like the word "senior" being applied to me is when it's a senior discount!

The one I am REALLY looking forward to is the $10 lifetime senior pass for national parks -- you have to be 62 to get one, and I'll hit 62 next year.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I'm just finding senior discounts lately. Not aware of all of them. But if it's a good one I'll use it.

FYI....Senior Day ay Walgreens is July 9th!! 20% off their brands and 15% off every other brand. Not bad if things are already on sale or you have a coupon.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Let the discounts roll my senior brethren.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I have no problem taking senior discounts if I am aware that there is one. The only problem that I have is the age that is considered senior. Some businesses start at 50 and some at 65.

Right now, the Y where I belong has the age for senior discount at 64. Seems like it used to be lower. By the time I get to 64, I am sure that it will be raised.

Several weeks ago, I got a pleasant surprise because Wednesday is senior citizens day. Anyone over age 50, if you ask, gets a 10 percent discount. I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement