Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM

162 posts, read 242,140 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and I can't wait to leave.

Pros:
I very nice winter climate.
Anything you want to buy is available
The ocean
The roads are good

Cons:
Can't buy fresh vegetables and fruit along with the food is expensive
Crazy laws
Very humid and hot in the summer
It rains daily from May to Oct and huge downpours and it is very expensive
Few good restaurants as mostly franchises
Incredible amount of crime
Snakes, insects and alligators
People are not very friendly as most are here in the winter only
Most transplants want to leave after a year here

Stay away from Florida. It sucks here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Have any of you gents thought about the ratio of men to women, in the places you're entertaining?
Quote:
And so I go back to my original question, asking if men are interested, or LOOKING, when thinking of retiring, at places where the ratio of women to men is greater.
Yes indeed. As an older single male that has recently ended a year long poisonous relationship, and who very much wishes to flee my current Orange County, Ca home, the demographics of any prospective new place becomes important. Am rather bitter right now about the whole senior dating thing, and if I do move, when i do jump back in, would like to put the odds a bit more in my favor. Research of any place is easy, plenty of sites that present the numbers. The home page of the cities and towns right here on CD is a good place to start. Just as an example, if the average age of the residents of a place is several years above the national and state average, and there are 47% males and 53% females, that would indicate a pretty good social situation for older single men seeking female companionship.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
...and there are 47% males and 53% females, that would indicate
a pretty good social situation for older single men seeking female companionship.
Except that you can't date numbers.

Besides... that sort of ratio exists just about everywhere in the US.
Human sex ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Article - Gender in the United States

Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Besides... that sort of ratio exists just about everywhere in the US.
Not so, the Wiki article or other data does not support this position. When a 47-53 male/female ratio is given for a city, that is for the entire population, of all ages, not the seniors only. Breaking down the data into age groups, in younger persons the male/female ratio likely would be closer to even, whereas in older groups, say 60+, there would probably be far more women than men, and even more women without male partners than men in the same situation. Trust me on this, have done the study and research. Demographics is an interesting subject. If a town's average age of it's residents is way above the national average, and there is an unbalanced male/female ratio, like 47/53, that usually means a place with a large retiree population, and also one with an excess of older women without male partners. Of course, many unattached older women, or men for that matter, are not actively seeking or wanting a new partner, but that is another topic.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM

437 posts, read 649,372 times
This is why I have such an interest in the total demographic, not just numbers. Ages are very important to me. College towns are a hoot, but they may not have men in the age bracket I'm interested, so why would I move there? My odds just went down........

And because I'm such a picky little bish, it's important to ME to have the best percentage in my favor.

bullie~

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
And because I'm such a picky little bish, it's important to ME to have the best percentage in my favor.
Would you consider Alaska? Many more single men than women. If not, the Rocky Mountain states are your next best bet. Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah, in that order, have more men than women.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Would you consider Alaska? Many more single men than women. If not, the Rocky Mountain states are your next best bet. Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah, in that order, have more men than women.
That's the thing about being picky. COLD is not on my list. And again, it's men in the age range I have an interest, as well as what the town/city has to offer, in so far as economics/racial mixture/married/religious affiliation. Utah? As a non god believing woman, I'm not sure I'd "fit in". And Nevada? Where? Wyoming is the same as Alaska. Too much cold, for too long. brrrrrrr~

CO has been on my eyeball list, but the places I'd feel most comfortable, are too expensive.

OK, so I'm a picky little bish with expensive taste, but a budget that won't allow much. *kicks dirt*

bullie~

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
OK, so I'm a picky little bish with expensive taste, but a budget that won't allow much. *kicks dirt*

bullie~
Hmmm, a warm climate, low cost of living place, with more single older men than older single women? Off the top of my head, no suggestions, since my research has been in the other direction, more ladies than gentlemen, but am sure that many such cities and towns exist, just may take a bit of digging to find them, and then narrow it down to places that fit your requirements.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, a warm climate, low cost of living place, with more single older men than older single women? Off the top of my head, no suggestions, since my research has been in the other direction, more ladies than gentlemen, but am sure that many such cities and towns exist, just may take a bit of digging to find them, and then narrow it down to places that fit your requirements.
SEE? Someone else is using the parameter of men to women/women to men ratio. Now to find them in the age group you're interested. THEN you find ones that have the education you're seeking, or intelligence, at least. OK so how about religious affiliation, race, political stance, etc.... And that doesn't even take into consideration if they're SANE! lol

I suppose it is a crap shoot in the long run, but it can't hurt, checking the demographics, to see that you're not moving into a college town with no one your age, unless that's what you're seeking. And the last thing a hetero man wants is to move into a town that's a sausage fest. Just as I'd never want to move into a community of only older folks. Yet.

bullie~

Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
SEE? Someone else is (flailing about in the futile hope and self delusion that) using
the parameter of men to women/women to men ratio....
I suppose it is a crap shoot in the long run...
Mostly so.

If you have a hobby or an interest in something find a group of others who do so as well.
Almost everyone of them will have at least a sibling and cousin and co-worker and neighbor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement