Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That would be high.

Our property taxes on our farm have been $47 per year, which is more reasonable.
Yes, that is high, but that is how much our taxes are on our home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That would be high.

Our property taxes on our farm have been $47 per year, which is more reasonable.
Property Taxes are the Great unknown for me... I'm looking forward to spending part of my Retirement in Western WA and have been planning accordingly... the problem is my WA property taxes jumped from $24.01 per day to $31.50 per day based on the Assessor's opinion of the value of my home and land...

I'm starting to rethink staying in the California because at least the Property Tax is somewhat predictable thanks to Proposition 13 being passed 30 years ago by California Voters...

Old 03-30-2008, 03:53 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I personally wouldn't want to move anywhere more humid than Boston-area (I hate summers here). And I'm aware that living on a relatively tight budget could mean no car. I could see retirement on that budget somewhere like, say, Minnesota or maybe the Midwest, some walkable smallish city or town.
Wouldn't be my first choice, but it is a backup plan. I never want to be caught flat-footed if I can help it. My mind sort of reflexively thinks, "If this doesn't work, I can do this, and if that doesn't work, Plan C..." It's almost a tic.
Problem is, most places where you don't need a car are high cost metro areas. And smaller, cheaper areas, don't have public transit, and shopping areas are more spread out.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
That's why I think of a town, not a rural spot or hamlet. Certainly have seen the car/public/cost equation near Boston.
I do think of maybe being somewhere like my current home, where yes, you need a car, but not a lot. The supermarket is a mile away, so is the pharmacy, the Council on Aging has some transport to medical places and occasional outings... Dunno. If I reach a point in life where I can't drive locally during the day, likely I should be in an assisted living kind of place.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
That's why I think of a town, not a rural spot or hamlet. Certainly have seen the car/public/cost equation near Boston.
I do think of maybe being somewhere like my current home, where yes, you need a car, but not a lot. The supermarket is a mile away, so is the pharmacy, the Council on Aging has some transport to medical places and occasional outings... Dunno. If I reach a point in life where I can't drive locally during the day, likely I should be in an assisted living kind of place.
If the "Baby boom" demographic remains as dominant as it has been in the past, you may see supermarkets and pharmacies starting to deliver again.
This would mean that the ability to drive may not be a mandate for necessities.

PS I was a consultant for the State of California for years, with the responsibility of inspecting assisted living facilities for medication safety. based upon that experience, let's not rush the demise of your independence.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
If the "Baby boom" demographic remains as dominant as it has been in the past, you may see supermarkets and pharmacies starting to deliver again.
This would mean that the ability to drive may not be a mandate for necessities.

PS I was a consultant for the State of California for years, with the responsibility of inspecting assisted living facilities for medication safety. based upon that experience, let's not rush the demise of your independence.
Whether or not the assisted living facility you have in mind is an excellent one or otherwise, you give up an awful lot of independence and self-satisfaction if you rush this route too soon, as GLS suggests. (Although, I think the suggestion is for different reasons, right, GLS?)

I have had older relatives who decide what do they need the big house for now (5 or 6 rooms) when they are living alone. But, once they sell the house and the car, suddenly they age very quickly.

We don't often realize how much physical and mental activity we engage just taking minimal care of a home and getting out to do a little grocery shopping or other errands. This activity, though it may seem like busy work and unnecessary, does so much to keep the vital juices flowing. It is often the main activity of a senior's life.

Once that impetus for getting up and getting a move on is removed there is little to interest many of them.

Keep your own home and car for as long as you can safely manage them, and you will most likely benefit physically, emotionally and mentally.

My dad had his car until he died at the age of 87 last spring. He hadn't driven it for 3 years, the tires had flat spots on them from sitting in the garage for so long. But boy, did he love the idea that his car was still in the garage and if he just got a little bit stronger he could take a nice drive up the mountain. It gave him a lot of will and satisfaction.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:40 PM

42 posts, read 80,594 times
Gem,
No pun intended, but that post is a true gem. I've thought so often about getting out of my house, trying to dump the automobile habit. Thanks for posting your wisdom and sharing your father's experience.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Whether or not the assisted living facility you have in mind is an excellent one or otherwise, you give up an awful lot of independence and self-satisfaction if you rush this route too soon, as GLS suggests. (Although, I think the suggestion is for different reasons, right, GLS?)
Yes, you get my drift. Fortunately, I have read enough intuitive, sensitive, creative and intelligent posts from brightdoglover to know she was speaking "tongue-in-cheek" about Assisted Living. Too early for the bone yard young lady! I just wanted to point out that the buying power of the boomers will create business opportunities for entrepreneurs that will diminish the NEED for a car. However, as you point out, driving remains a badge of independence. Most of us were relentless in trying to get a license as early (16?) as possible. That license was an "e" ticket to a world of dreams and adventures. Even when we are 100 yrs old it will be hard to relinquish that magic carpet to freedom.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Actually, I was serious! But I meant something like an Erickson community, which I gather can be rather low on the walkers and dementias and all.
I'm in no hurry to lose my dream house, and it's not too big for older age. It's about 1250 sq.ft., first floor bedroom and main bath (by design), and I already pay a guy to do the lawn/landscaping and he's also my handyman. It's perfect- he's the guy who built the house and he lives down the street. He comes over regularly to check the sump pump, suggest different upkeep things, etc. I think he feels bad that I'm not married or something, but he's better than a husband!
I do think I was thinking more of some kind of condo living with a staff available. The Erickson communities sound pretty good, but although they are 62+, I do think the average age is pretty high.
I was picturing being able to lock my door and go live in Utah or Colorado for a couple of months and not have a house to worry about. I am always trying to figure out how to spend the summers somewhere besides the humid East.
Tongue in cheek, no. Misspoken, yes.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 AM

156 posts, read 387,904 times
Quote:
he's better than a husband!
lol Bright....I know what you mean though.... He fixes things and he doesn't watch tv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement