Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

I tnnk alos people need to realise that beekeeepr is stil working as he is still producing. Anytime that you are producing you have to plan for the what if. That what if his if say you have a health problems that stops that production.Afterall I retired very early and have seen the difference between what I can do and what comes in later years to so many.Unless it is a large concern its not likely that you can hire to replace your labor.I have know alot of people who had to move from their acrage because not only the medical availablity but the fact that they couldn't use the land as they did when younger. This is one reason when looking back that farmers had large expended families that all lived on the land and young generations took over the labor involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I tnnk alos people need to realise that beekeeepr is still working as he is still producing. Anytime that you are producing you have to plan for the what if. That what if his if say you have a health problems that stops that production. After all I retired very early and have seen the difference between what I can do and what comes in later years to so many. Unless it is a large concern its not likely that you can hire to replace your labor.I have know alot of people who had to move from their acrage because not only the medical availablity but the fact that they couldn't use the land as they did when younger. This is one reason when looking back that farmers had large expended families that all lived on the land and young generations took over the labor involved.
Yes.

I feed chickens, goats, sheep and hogs everyday.

I have been planting ginseng on the forest floor.

Last year I planted 16 apple trees.

This year I plan to plant a dozen fruit / nut trees.

I have raised beds with garlic and onions.

And a couple beehives.

I plan to tap maple trees here soon. And then I will be picking fiddleheads as the snow melts.

I also have 2 kayaks tie-up in the river out behind the house. So I can go fishing whenever the mood hits me.

We sell eggs and veggies with a farm sign out next to our mailbox. Last year my annual farm income was less than one month's pension paycheck.

If I stopped planting things, it would lower our cost-of-living a great deal. As I would no longer be spending money on seed and trees. But we hope that one day we will begin seeing large harvests, and I may see a benefit.

It is 'work' of a sort. A few times I have hurt my back, and I have been laid up in bed for a week each time. I take things at a rate that I am okay doing.

I hope that by building up an organic farm now, that in the future it will require less 'work' form me.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i love my refrigerator and supermarket!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I hope that by building up an organic farm now, that in the future it will require less 'work' form me.
I don't have a farm, but my organic property is a lot less work now (17 years after I started) than it was as I planted and built up the soil. It does get a whole lot easier as things get established. The veggies in the spring is the main work now.

While I don't plan on doing the scale that you have going, gardening is a great deal of pleasure to me and I intend on doing it until I absolutely cannot anymore. I will certainly count it as a retirement activity. Plus I love getting fresh veggies/fruit/herbs steps outside my door. I also put a lot of money into the plants. I will probably start a lot of things from seeds after retirement that I don't do now because I invariably have to travel during the seed starting season.

If it was a big money producer, then it would be a job and not really retirement.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes.

I feed chickens, goats, sheep and hogs everyday.

I have been planting ginseng on the forest floor.

Last year I planted 16 apple trees.

This year I plan to plant a dozen fruit / nut trees.

I have raised beds with garlic and onions.

And a couple beehives.

I plan to tap maple trees here soon. And then I will be picking fiddleheads as the snow melts.

I also have 2 kayaks tie-up in the river out behind the house. So I can go fishing whenever the mood hits me.

We sell eggs and veggies with a farm sign out next to our mailbox. Last year my annual farm income was less than one month's pension paycheck.

If I stopped planting things, it would lower our cost-of-living a great deal. As I would no longer be spending money on seed and trees. But we hope that one day we will begin seeing large harvests, and I may see a benefit.

It is 'work' of a sort. A few times I have hurt my back, and I have been laid up in bed for a week each time. I take things at a rate that I am okay doing.

thats toooooo much like working..... i want my family crest to be a beer can and a hammock
i

Old 02-14-2009, 04:58 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I Hope all of you include in your planning the fact that you will need to keep increasing your withdrawls by about 3% a year in order to stay even with inflation...after 20 years of even moderate inflation your expenses will be almost double .....

i see many references here about the fact that people are living on all the bank interest such as one comment about someone who has 400,000 or so at 7% and they are drawing 28,000 a year from it, which means their nest egg is shrinking by the rate of inflation year after year ..... typically most calculations will allow you about 4% withdrawl or so based on the fact that a typical 50/50 mix of equities and cash/bonds will return a long term average of 6-7%... 3% stays with the nest egg keeping its value stable ,assuming the inflation rate is around 3% average and your free to take 4%...

that will give you a 95% chance of not running out of money....

just curious how many people are aware that their 25,000 withdrawl a year they are pulling will require 50,000 a year 20 years from now to pay the same bills ...

from the looks of it i think not to many, as alot of people are living off all the income and not growing their nest eggs to keep up

if i remember from posts back one fellow thought he was set for life with all his money in the bank because he was getting 5% and his 500,000 would give him 25,000 a year to live on.... he had not a clue in 20 years he would be taking a 50% pay cut and really needed 50,000 a year in withdrawls to stay even,,, he can typically pull only 10,00 a year inflation adjusted and still maintain at least a 95% survival rate,

although not all our expenses rise the same 3% a year overall i cant think of much thats not doubling every 20 years and catching up with all of us eventually

the retirement grave yard is filled with failed retirements because the person said aaaaah i wont need that much more money every year.....

all i can say is be fore warned, you really have to look at the lifestyle you want to live and take a look at a lot of the costs of whatever it is and see how they rose.... i have friends who are content on just living on their social security and live very expense limited lives but thats definatley not how i plan on retiring, in fact i think i may even need more then im earning working with all that free time coming up....
Now that the spendapalooza bill has passed, inflation is a coming.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 AM

maybe not high inflation but for sure higher interest rates..my best guess that this will just be a big ponzi scheme with new bonds paying off the old bonds... it will take higher rates to finance all this and attract that much world capital ... i dont think this will ever get payed off.

they are already talking a 50 year treasury bond........ while everyone thinks they will just print money to pay for this its probley not going to work that way... this will make madoffs ponzi scheme look puny

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-14-2009 at 06:07 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats toooooo much like working..... i want my family crest to be a beer can and a hammock
i
I hear you.

I hope that after 10 years of retirement, say maybe when I am in my 50s, that most of the hard work will be done.

With everything built and setup, the daily workload of maintaining things should be minimal.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM

359 posts, read 779,696 times
so where is everybody with their predictions as regads inflation et all, 4 years later...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

359 posts, read 779,696 times
not much has changed, I still plan on saving as much as I planned before. Interest rates crested this past year and now are on the way up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement